• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix Hawker Typhoon IB

Ok slow but sure progress with this plane,...over done the weathering a tad for my liking more sloppy than overdone realy I shall endeavour to rectify this and tidy up a bit.

Next up is the dull coat scheduled for the weekend

Anyway heres a few pics

h3ee1f14.jpg

h48dfc36.jpg

h343cfad.jpg

Not overdone Andy, I don't think. When you get your dullcoat on it will soften some of that weathering you think is overdone. I remember doing one that I thought was very overdone but when looking through the digital eye, it looked spot on. go figure...

It's looking swell Andy, carry on! :pilot

Looks pretty good to me so far Andy . The dull coat will tame that done considerably.

Cheers, Christian B)

Like Moon Puppy said the flat coat will even everything out.

What I do before I spray on the flat coat is mist on some tinted thinner, the tinted thinner not only evens out the weathering steps but also helps give the decals that 'painted on' look.
For your Typhoon pale gray tinted thinner should work just fine. Just be very careful and be sure not to flood the model with too much, mist the coats on and when you can just barely see it on the model stop! A little will go a very long way.

Matrixone

Like Moon Puppy said the flat coat will even everything out.

What I do before I spray on the flat coat is mist on some tinted thinner, the tinted thinner not only evens out the weathering steps but also helps give the decals that 'painted on' look.
For your Typhoon pale gray tinted thinner should work just fine. Just be very careful and be sure not to flood the model with too much, mist the coats on and when you can just barely see it on the model stop! A little will go a very long way.

Matrixone

Great tip Les, not sure what to call this. Seems like it's a unifying dusting, fading, dirt layer.

Question is (and it's always the case for me) what color would you pick for what subject?

Bob,
For the Typhoon pale gray tinted thinner would do the trick.

On my recent Bf 109 G-6 build I used RLM 76 tinted thinner with some success but on green colored airplanes I found RLM 02 to work nicely. But like I said before this is one technique where you want to use it VERY lightly...only a just a hint of it should be used because after the flat coat is put on what was nearly invisible before will show up.

Matrixone

Shalom.

What scale is this? I'm thinking 1/72 but wonder if it's a newer 1/48 release. Is it?

Cheers

It is the 1/72 Airfix version very nice kit it is too I've quite enjoyed working a scale to what I'm not normally used to.

Matrix love that idea but only have a can of Testors dullcoat although I do have some Vallejo somewhere...

I think you can do the same thing with any clear coat Andy. Les check me if I'm wrong.

The goal is that light dusty look.

Andy,
What I meant was spraying on some tinted thinner before the flat coat treatment, with the flat coat it would not matter which brand it is. Sorry if I might not understand your question.

Bob,
The tinted thinner does make it possible to give a model a dusty looking finish but for most models I have used the tinted thinner on I just wanted to blend in the markings and weathering effects and not to make them look dusty. The choice of color to add to the thinner is important...on gray colored models RLM 76 can be used to tone down the markings without making the model look dusty (see my recent Me 609 as an example), for green camouflaged models RLM 02 seems to work really good.
If I wanted to make the model look dusty a light tan color would be perfect.

Matrixone

I suppose Dusty wouldn't be the word I wanted to use. But that overall fading, or whatever it is that blends everything in together. Guess I should have paid attention in art class. :bang head

Thanks for the info Les! :good:

Hey all,...

trying a little venture so bare with me while I try this out,...

http://youtu.be/dtUdSvUr9EM

Hahahaha I did mate, yes !!!

I have 2 other videos put up now on my channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYX56OdrLknbeowURp0Q2nA?feature=watch

Back