• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Scratch built 1:1 Scale Cabinet 2012

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 23, 2012

How neat is that! :popcorn

Thanks Junior,

Here are a couple more updates.

First, the lighting installed. You won't be able to see the lights themselves, only the glow from them.

Lightsinst.jpg

The lights working.

Lightson.jpg

And the embroidery that will go on the two upper and the two lower panels.

Suedepanelwembro.jpg

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 13, 2012

Thanks James, I'm moving right along.

I've attached the profiles permanently and added in tiny letters the words. "No Beginning" "No End" and "Soulmates Eternal", in reference to her and her husband's 30 years of marriage.

Letters01.jpg

Letters02.jpg

Then they get the black/bronze treatment.

Letters03.jpg

Letters04.jpg

Finally, an overall shot, ready to begin the greenish/white patina.

Letters05.jpg

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 14, 2012

That looks stunning even as it sits Bob. Really nice (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

I began applying the Patina today. I'm using a flat Forrest Green and a Flat White to achieve the Verde Gris color. Then I am using artists oils Raw Umber to shade and streak. I have really only got started. It takes me quite a while to play with it until I get the colors and shading just right. I'll tweak it some more tomorrow and when I like it, start doing the entire capital, probably a full two day job. When complete, It will get two coats of flat clear sealer. That will effectively eliminate any sheen left and give it a uniform flat appearance.

Patina01.jpg

Patina03.jpg

Patina04.jpg

Later,

Bob

:notworthy :notworthy Just fantastic Bob. I know it's more difficult than it would seem to put together different mouldings and make it all flow together and look "right" but thats a superb job :ro:

Tim

That's amazing! :notworthy

Well thanks Bob,

Not amazing at all, just a ton of experience. I finished the other side today, I'm liking it more and more, although admittedly, it got scary there for awhile. Been there before and done that. Sometimes you just have to ignore the possibility of failure, don't listen to the naysayers or your own insecurities and go for it.

Sure, once in awhile you will fail, but I really believe that is what all this is about!

Bob.

:notworthy :notworthy Just fantastic Bob. I know it's more difficult than it would seem to put together different mouldings and make it all flow together and look "right" but thats a superb job :ro:

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Actually, that wasn't all that difficult. What is difficult is the patina. I've been doing patinas for so long I can't remember anymore, but....... Never on such a large surface.

The first day I did it, I started thinking, "Was I a bit too confident about this"? I had images of throwing it in the trash. I'm serious! Then I got rational and thought, "I have to do this, no matter what".

The next morning everything looked much brighter! I'm rolling now.

Update soon.

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 15, 2012

No matter what you say Bob, its impressive. Just awe inspiring. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks James and Tankbuilder!

Moving right along. I have the entire capital base coasted with the Verde gris color, and the lower part finished.

I used a flat forrest green, Flat white, flat black, bronze metallic, Matt earth, raw umber with several mixtures of all the above in various layers to achieve the look. Once I have the texture I want. I use raw umber to feather around the sculptures and scrollwork, then raw umber applied with a 000 fine Winsor-Newton brush for the veining. After the lines are drawn, I use a larger brush slightly wet with thinner to feather it.

This is a very painstaking and tedious job. Now that I have the formula and steps down pat, it will go faster. I expect to have the capital finished tomorrow. Then I will seal it with two coats of clear flat enamel.

Only the lower part is finished.

Finishedpatina01.jpg

Here is a cropped shot of the finished part only.

Finishedpatina05.jpg

And here is the complete capital. The top portion only has two layers applied.

Finishedpatina03.jpg

I also got the base coat of black and bronze on the shelf units themselves.

Shelvesbasecoated.jpg

paintedshelves.jpg

To be continued!

Bob

Your modelpaint skills sure come in handy in this one,
love that paintjob! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Looking fantastic Dad :popcorn

Thanks again Son,

I'm tryin'!

Dad

Your modelpaint skills sure come in handy in this one,
love that paintjob! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Ron,

As I have no skills in furniture construction or painting furniture, all skills used in this project were from modeling. I guess we learn much more from modeling than just building models, don't we?

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 17, 2012

That is awesome work!

Regards,

Thanks Saul,

Here is today's effort.

I completed the patina up the capital another 10 inches. It is a slow process, however, I'm sure I can finish the capital on Monday. I am taking tomorrow off. I gotta get out of my workshop before I go stir crazy! :D

Here are three pics.

Pat111702.jpg

Pat111702.jpg

Pat111701.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 18, 2012

This is not your average woodworking project! Really nice, Bob- cheers!

That's just stunning, looks like cracked marble. :notworthy :notworthy

Ditto with Bob! Outstanding job!!!

All the best!
Dusan.

Back