• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Scratch built 1:1 Scale Cabinet 2012

Re: Another birthday project.

I got in some progress yesterday. Here is an update. This is turning out to be fun!

I got all the electrical stuff to light it up. These will be concealed under the shelves and won't be seen. Only the glow.

Lighting.jpg

I am putting this together with screws and carpenter's glue. It is really strong and rigid. The screws are all counter sunk and the holes will be filled in with wood filler and sanded before painting. Here is a shot of the base.

base-2.jpg

Here I have laid out the pattern for the capital. I will use a scroll saw to cut out these details. I bought some ready made scroll work and cut them up and refitted them for a customized bit of work.

Capital.jpg

Another view.

capital01.jpg

All the shelves are in place and the shelf trim fitted.

Curiocabinet01.jpg

To be continued

Large scale modeling, OK... the reverse! Making the prototype for us to model in a scale building... or is it 1:1 scale modeling?

Confused but enlightened at the same time... ironic!

Regards,

Another quick update.

I have cut out the capital today with a jig saw. Lots of trim left to do on it but I think you can get an idea.

All the screw and nail holes are countersunk below the surface and will be filled in with plastic wood. If you see the pencil line going across horizontally, immediately below and centered in that arched area centered on either side will be the bas relief sculpture of Gail and Forrest.

Capitalsawed.jpg

Capital02.jpg

Capital03.jpg

Note the plastic flexible trim. I have installed it on the upper circle surrounding the finial to give it a rounded, milled appearance. Then I used plastic wood to fill in all blemishes and when dry, will sand it smooth and it will be ready to paint. I will do the same to the large arch. A couple of months ago, I couldn't figure out how I was going to get the rounded effect I wanted. I didn't even know this stuff existed. The minute I laid eyes on it at a cabinet shop, I said, "Problem solved" and it is working great. Where that comes to a point, there will be fancy roof edge trim that will cover about a half inch. Then, just below the scroll work, there will be a huge trim piece running across the entire capital and extending beyond, as the one in Kansas City had. See below. In other words, the top will have the two strips like a peaked roof and just under the scroll work, there will be a 6 inch wide trim just like below.

Capitalcloseup.jpg

May72012013-3.jpg

More later

Re: Another birthday project. Updated September 28th

We have some friends coming to visit from Denver next week or so. I got quite a bit finished on the capital for the cabinet today. I don't think it needs much explanation. When I get back on it in a week or two, I'll get to the more fun stuff like the patina paint job, electrical and the finishing work.

This is the capital that will set on top of the cabinet. I used countersunk screws and finishing nails but it is all glued with heavy duty carpenter's glue. This stuff will tear the wood before itself! I had to do some old fashioned whittling with an ex-acto knife on some of the trim, then finish the tips with a lot of sandpaper.

Capital04.jpg

capital05.jpg

capital06.jpg

Some details

capital07.jpg

capital08.jpg

More later

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 1 2012

Wow Bob, absolutely gorgeous work! I'm looking at doing some work building a bed and some display cases for my models, but nothing to that level.

I tell ya, if you hadnt made it in modeling, you'd have made a hell of a furniture maker, haha.

Re: Another birthday project. Updated September 28th

We have some friends coming to visit from Denver next week or so. I got quite a bit finished on the capital for the cabinet today. I don't think it needs much explanation. When I get back on it in a week or two, I'll get to the more fun stuff like the patina paint job, electrical and the finishing work.

This is the capital that will set on top of the cabinet. I used countersunk screws and finishing nails but it is all glued with heavy duty carpenter's glue. This stuff will tear the wood before itself! I had to do some old fashioned whittling with an ex-acto knife on some of the trim, then finish the tips with a lot of sandpaper.

Capital04.jpg

capital05.jpg

capital06.jpg

Some details

capital07.jpg

capital08.jpg

More later

Love it! :popcorn

Large scale modeling, OK... the reverse! Making the prototype for us to model in a scale building... or is it 1:1 scale modeling?

Confused but enlightened at the same time... ironic!

Regards,

Thanks Saul,

I know the feeling. I've been that way most of my life!

Bob

Wow Bob, absolutely gorgeous work! I'm looking at doing some work building a bed and some display cases for my models, but nothing to that level.

I tell ya, if you hadnt made it in modeling, you'd have made a hell of a furniture maker, haha.

Thanks Adam,

From the time I was a little kid, back in the stone age, I always loved to build things. From the time I was about 6, I always told everybody I wanted to be an architect when I grew up. Didn't happen, except in miniature I guess!

Bob

Thanks Son,

It's for Sis you know! :D

Dad

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 1 2012

OK. another update.

I completed the capital except for filling, sanding and affixing the flat sculptures of my daughter and son-in-law.

I am pleased with the way it has turned out so far. Keep in mind that when it is finished and attached to the cabinet, the entire thing will get a bronze patina finish similar to the one pictured previously on this thread. I have also added pieces to the base, enough to give it just the right balance esthetically.

Here are some pics of the capital.

Capital21.jpg

Capital20.jpg

I have been sculpting the son-in-law Forrest first. He has clean even features and those types are always the most difficult to sculpt. So far, I have only added the hair and beard and those aren't finished. It will take about four sessions, each with a fresh batch of Milliput to get this right and develop a true likeness. Before it is finished, there will be much sanding, sculpting in various features such as the ear, chin line, eyes and so on. Then I'll start on Gail's sculpture.

Forrest01.jpg

I actually printed an image the exact size of what I wanted, then used that to get the general shape. It has hardened and that will make it easier to add features. In the first session, each time you add something, it is so soft, it moves something else. You will note the nose is too straight. It wasn't until I shifted the nostril but no matter, it will be shaped later.

Forrest02.jpg

Here is where it will go on the capital and the sculpture of Gail will be opposite and they will be facing each other. Excuse the photography. I took this where I am working and with the little camera. It is out of focus but you can at least get an idea.

Curiofront07.jpg

Then a shot of the entire cabinet. Note the two additional components on each side of the base for balance. It didn't take much. Just beyond Susan's helpful thumb is where the sculptures will go on each side of the capital.

Curiofront02.jpg

Various shots of the cabinet.

Curiofront06-1.jpg

Of the capital in place.

Curiofront05.jpg

Compare with the curio found in Kansas City that inspired this build. It is always difficult to pinpoint flaws in photographs, but note the fit where the capital meets the two flat ribbed columns. Aside from not being symmetrical, the arch was cut about a half inch too small making it overlap it's base about a quarter inch on both sides. Those type flaws were what made me decide to build one rather than buy the original. The flaws were plentiful throughout the cabinet. It was the overall impression that gave the piece it's dramatic appearance, especially the bronze patina.

May72012013~0.jpg

See the difference? This arch was cut to center on it's base. I suppose that after all these years of dealing with the fine details of modeling have made me develop an overly critical eye, but I think that comes with the territory and can't be avoided.

Capital20.jpg

And one more overall for good measure.

Curiofront06-1.jpg

I'm in good shape time wise. I still have 2 months before her birthday. Should be no problem finishing it on time. After the patina, I will insert the button tufted panels on both sides between each set of shelves, then affix the Formica shelf tops, a Granite pattern that will match the other colors.

Much of the fine detail lost in these photos will emerge after the patina is applied.

Till next update!

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 20, 2012

Fantastic work on the sculpting too!

Regards,

Bob Junior, Jeff and Saul,

In the words of the Great Elvi,

Thank Ya, Thank Ya very much! :D

Bob

Thanks James, here is what I did today.

I sculpted in more features on the Forrest face. You can see it beginning to take shape. I still need work on the eye and just below it, (That makes him appear older than he really is), the nose, the beard and adding the shirt with button down collar. Plus some other fine tuning here and there.

I only get about an hour at most to work with any one batch of the Milliput. I think one, maybe two at the most, more sessions and I will wrap up the Forrest sculpture.

I did the profile cutout today of Gail. Not much to see at this point. I use both wax paper and talcum powder to keep the epoxy from adhering to the work table.

Sculptures01.jpg

Later,

Bob

Neat! some real nice sculpting there Bob (y) (y)
//Mats

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 22, 2012

Thanks Mats,

I cut the wooden panels today to fit the inside walls. I covered one with foam, then the suede material and then inserted the buttons. There are no wrinkles emanating from the buttons as they are not nailed into the walls as yet. That will happen later. It has to have the patina finish before I start the upholstery. But, these will give you an idea how it will look.

Tufts01.jpg

Tufts02.jpg

Tufts03.jpg

Tufts03.jpg

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 23, 2012

Thanks Junior and Adam.

I just learned that 'Demi Ronde Bosse' is now a class at Euro Militaire (within the flats classes) where they sculpt in relief, one side, and paint their own creations. That is precisely what I am sculpting. Only I won't paint them individually, they will be covered with the bronze patina as will the rest of the cabinet. It is somewhat like carving a head for the face of a coin, except larger.

Sculptures01.jpg

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 23, 2012

Got some more done. It won't be long now. The most difficult thing for me on this was sculpting Gail's image. Forrest's was a piece of cake. With Gail's, I had to start over three times. Anyway, it is the best I could do.

test01.jpg

Here is where they will eventually be on the cabinet. They will be painted the same as the cabinet.

capitalunpainted.jpg

Then I painted the base coat on the capital. The relief images will be added tomorrow and painted then. I have to let the epoxy dry overnight before using contact cement to attach permanently to the capital.

capitalpainted.jpg

Here I have cloud painted the bronze base color. After all the cabinet has had the base black and the bronze, I will begin adding the patina such as you can see below on some samples.

capitalbronzed.jpg

Here is what the finished patina on the cabinet will look like, (Hopefully).

Bronzenaturalpatina.jpg

And like this on the flat areas.

BronzePatina.jpg

To be continued!

Bob

Back