• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 KI-51 Sonia

Thanks guys for looking it .

Thanks Chris . Very simple step for the camera. The lights were way more tricky.

Anyhow , lots of masking last night . ID panels and flight controls . It would have been smarter to leave the gear and bomb racks off till this was painted :blush: Oh well.

ID_Markings_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Awesome Christian!

Love it! I've never seen anyone build one of these before! This should be good!

I've got the Nichimo kit in the stash!

The only Nichimo Sonia I have seen is on ARC and it's probably no better .

Cheers B)

Christian, nice work on your Sonia. It's another one I want to do. You may be surprised by the Nichimo 1/48 Sonia, I think it is one of their better efforts. Although it can be built motorized, it also has all the parts for a nicely detailed cockpit and engine when the un-motorized version is built. It is very nicely molded.

Awesome Christian!

Love it! I've never seen anyone build one of these before! This should be good!

I've got the Nichimo kit in the stash!

The only Nichimo Sonia I have seen is on ARC and it's probably no better .

Cheers B)

Christian, nice work on your Sonia. It's another one I want to do. You may be surprised by the Nichimo 1/48 Sonia, I think it is one of their better efforts. Although it can be built motorized, it also has all the parts for a nicely detailed cockpit and engine when the un-motorized version is built. It is very nicely molded.

Very interesting to know about the Nichimo version. Comparing the pictures to this plastic though I can't say that I would favor one over the other except that I try to stay with the 1/72 size.

Thank you for your kind words .

However, in my efforts to try and do the latter camo , I really got it all out of kilter .
Looks more German now that a masterfull Japanese paint job.

Guess I'm off to plan B as I'm not happy with it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys for looking it .

Thanks Chris . Very simple step for the camera. The lights were way more tricky.

Anyhow , lots of masking last night . ID panels and flight controls . It would have been smarter to leave the gear and bomb racks off till this was painted :blush: Oh well.

ID_Markings_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

:coolio

Loving this Christian! If I didn't have so much else on the go, I'd think about digging mine out!

:popcorn

Loving this Christian! If I didn't have so much else on the go, I'd think about digging mine out!

:popcorn

Don't worry Warren, this one has been talking to me for years . It'll be there .

I was hopping to have the paint done today but frankly I failed to get in the right frame of mind first ( That never works ) :blush:

So, back a few steps. Probably could not got this done without some sort of drama :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Managed a few recovery steps to get this back om track.

KI-51_re_painy_002a_28129.jpg

My head was not in the Japanese mind and I painted this like a KI-45 and this wont do.

started stripping the top dark green layer mottle .
laid a new coat of gray green and then a good coat of future on top

KI-51_re_painy_002a_28229.jpg

It's back in the barn to let it cure for a few days . I'm headed South to go have a nice Grouper steak, some Cuban food and watch some big cats . Back soon.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Mike :) It was not so much about good or bad but more about a totally different style.

I think it would be easier to do on a life size item.

I'll try again when I get back... :soldier

Cheers

Ha :facepalm Nothing ventured, nothing gained :rotf i'll see if I can sort it out next week :fencing

Groupers were delicious but the Cuban food was fabulous (y) (y) (y)

( No sandwiches were sampled Bob ) :rotf

Cheers Christian B)

Back