• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USCG Point Class Patrol Boat model kit

4 USCG Point Class Cutters (2.0 version) 4 RHIB boats, the proper length, and the 1.0 YR Barge (They were accurate enough) Going under the RTV today. I've learned bunches about making Masters and Molds along this thread. I was stretching sprue, and gluing it to the boats for the spray shields and sheer lines. :bang head
Invisible Thread is a constant diameter, pliable and strong, and C/A glues right up, without so much fuss. I do color it with a Sharpie before I try to stick it on. I'm also using my spank-brand-new RTV mold rubber & mold release for the first time. :yipee
IMG_5741.JPG

I will be well pleased when a customer takes a look at his new USCG 82-Footer kit and is impressed. Personally, I'm having SUCH a good time! :dance

My Friend, 'Pup, these are 1/700 resin Model Kits. If gamers like them, so much the better! I had to have one (two?!) for my own use (because of the movie Overboard) It seemed a shame to go to all this effort, then not to make molds just in case any other Waterline Maniac would like one (Two?!). Then I just got plain-old carried away. Not too unlike my Crazy Peachoid project.

This Set IS the first-ever USCG 82 Foot Cutter in 1/700 scale.
I haven't any thought they will sell, and now I have a butt-load of inaccurate Point Class Cutters, that I can't bring myself throw away.

I could convert one into the S.S. Minnow, Just for YOU!!

Smooth-On beats Micro-Mark for RTV Rubber, and polyurethane Resin!! The 2.0 Point Class Cutter mold ROCKS!! :ro: Pliable, strong, and still picked up every bit of the Master's detail and Relief!! Much better than 3D printed Models. No repeated clear coat dipping or sanding of pesky layering !!!:yipee
The cream-colored resin sand's nicely, and you can finish it with any paint you wish. Old School triumphs again. :eek:ldguy :good: :captain
IMG_5749.JPG

Hull painting! Tamiya acrylic Dark Gray for the decks, and Floquil Reefer White for the vertical surfaces. :yipee
IMG_5768.JPG

I'm considering the next USCG subject. Light CSSCWM2GB?
CoastGuard_SCCS_craft~0.jpg

:rotf

1/700 RHIB boats are EASY to make. Wrap a piece of freshly heated sprue around a drill bit, add floor, seats, transom and out-board motor, and you're off the the rescue!! CSS Tennesee's boats, the courier RHIB for the Barge, and a couple of other small boats, since I was painting today.
IMG_5814.JPG

It was a good day for masts Yesterday, after such a sorry first effort. These are MUCH more accurate!! Dinky bits of triangular plastic for the search radars and I'll have something!! :yipee
IMG_5816.JPG

SUNDAY GUN DAY!! :yipee :gogo
Mounted the 20mm Guns on both Point Class Cutters. Masts painted. Modelmaster Wehrmacht SandGelb is a dandy match for the Coast Guard's mast color in this scale.
IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

I bought some 3D printed USN & Royal Australian Navy RHIB boats to play with. While paint dries or C/A Glue sets up.
The USN versions were a might to big for the Rescue Boat for the Point Class Cutter. Even though RAN Clearance Divers most oft use this size Boat, I mounted a .50 Caliber on Her Bow. Barramundi's a bloody big Fish.
IMG_5823.JPG

A wee bit of .0125 Cu wire, punched out a disc for the radar, invisible thread whip antenna, Cat's whisker to paint the camo scheme, and the seats. :pinch: FUN!!!
IMG_5824.JPG

Here is the finished contents of the USCG Point Class set! :yipee
I added a 3rd RHIB, just in case the guys on the YR barge need any supplies :drinks
Now I can add details, that aren't contained in my Kit!!
IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

I'm thinking Point Welcome USCGC 82329, to honor her Crew's Vietnam service! It's not easy being green. You blend in with so many other things.
Point_Welcome.jpg

Thanks for your support, Fellows! I could not have done it alone.

Today, the detail-mania began. Photo-etched mast extension. I sanded a teeny piece of .015 plastruct into a triangular shape, and mounted the driven Surface Search radar. I'm using Battlefleet Models decals for markings.
The clown fish swims off, after having told another REAL Groaner! :sick:
IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

It took 2 USCG Vessels, 2 US Navy PCF Swift boats, and an RAN RHIB boat encourage Will the clown fish, to leave the area. :bat Rodney Dangerfield, He AIN"T!!
IMG_5843.JPG

Vietnam version is building. :salute

Box & Labels: DONE! :yipee 5 Page color instructions: DONE :yipee I'll echo my sentiments from the Shrimper thread.
All y'all helped more than you know, by just being kind to an :eek:ldguy :pilot with a dream! . :notworthy
TLAR_USCG_Point_Class_Box.JPG

I bought some Flyhawk 1/700 Lifeboat canisters & brackets to add detail, but the Kit contents are ready for eager waterline model makers to build the ONLY 1/700 Point Class USCG Cutters there are!

Back