• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th C.A. Supermarine Walrus * Completed *

1/48th Classic Airframes Supermarine Walrus

WOW that looks nice. Its a shame you wont see much. What paint did you use for the brass?
James

Nice Phil. Hope you don't mind. I'm saving pictures for my references .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys, it is nice to work with.

James, the twin cylinders I used Humbrol 54 brass, it's a bit grainy though, the single one I just dipped into Mr Metal Gold acrylic.

No worries Christian, you are very welcome!

Take your last look at the interior! closed up now.

(( Click right mouse button and view pic for the full size ))

DSC_9378a.jpg~original

DSC_9377a.jpg~original

DSC_9376a.jpg~original

this was a tough nut to get right, kit gives you plastic pins on the gear legs, but straight pins, almost like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

I cut these off and inserted the larger spring steel rod into the pieces, they need bending almost 90 deg to work right.

where the red arrow is, needs a pin to strengthen the main gear leg. from what I've found a locking pin deployed on the real aircraft so this helped no end to stabilize this piece
DSC_9380a.jpg~original

trial and error, I ended up using a scrap piece of resin rod, drilled thru and inserted a piece of spring steel rod.
I think i could drop this baby on it now and it would survive!!!!

You can see the other rod on the supporting arm as well, this one is thin so be careful with the pair, i snapped one.

DSC_9381a.jpg~original

DSC_9383a.jpg~original

just finished the pins and test fitting of the elevators and rudder tonight.
Don't forget to stagger the pins on each one so they don't clash.
DSC_9384a.jpg~original

Such a shame to close it up Phil, mighty fine work inside and good job on pinning those gear in place. :popcorn

here's the four wing struts pinned and glued into the top wing only, the front engine struts into the fuselage and applied the 5 degree offset (my best guess!!!) engine position, and aligned the top wing as best I could while the glue set on those tricky wing struts.
Two more inner struts have to be added but I think they won't need pins.

All the main struts have been drilled and pins inserted, I intend to paint the wings/engine separate with the shadow shaded camo then glue the top wing to the lower, engine to the support struts, then the small top of engine assembly struts to top wing.

Adding the pins to the struts helped out well, these held all the pieces in place as I fiddled around with positioning, this was a tricky process!

Hope I make sense as I quite feel like this :gogo at the moment!!!

DSC_9385a.jpg~original

DSC_9386a.jpg~original

DSC_9387a.jpg~original

prop spins nice and clears the top wing!!! :yahoo:
DSC_9390a.jpg~original

DSC_9391a.jpg~original

She may not be 100% perfect but I think pretty close - that top wing/strut and engine placement was the things that had me the most worried for this build.

Very cool. Those struts look so tiny, its hard to believe they help up a wing. Cant wait to see the paint scheme on this one.
James

Very nice assembly Phil. As I have stated before , awing assembly jig would be very helpful :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

All the main struts have been drilled and pins inserted, I intend to paint the wings/engine separate with the shadow shaded camo then glue the top wing to the lower, engine to the support struts, then the small top of engine assembly struts to top wing.

Adding the pins to the struts helped out well, these held all the pieces in place as I fiddled around with positioning, this was a tricky process!

Looking really good so far Phil! I've used that pin method on the couple resin kits I've built so far. It works well.

These are good notes to keep!

finished pinning and getting the floats positioned, CA had the hole points wrong as the float supports align with the wing struts,
the spring steel rod works very well, also works well getting the claret flowing when you snag your fingers.......
DSC_9396a.jpg~original

As you can see the inner struts are far too short as were the tail struts, evergreen strips to the rescue
DSC_9397a.jpg~original

floats, tail struts just blu tacked on atm, top front engine support struts will need the pin treatment as well.
Two rear supports will have to be made as the kit ones are again short.
DSC_9398a.jpg~original

a little bit of info on this bird
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1998/01/stuff_eng_detail_walrus.htm

If you havent painted this yet, the new Model Airplane International has a multi page colour plates with some nice schemes.
James

If you havent painted this yet, the new Model Airplane International has a multi page colour plates with some nice schemes.
James

Agreed . I love that magazine.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks James DL a pdf now, will check the schemes out - but will be an Aussie camo for this one!

For those that didn't know,

this aircraft could be looped!!!

The prototype was first flown by "Mutt" Summers on 21 June 1933; five days later it made an appearance at the SBAC show at Hendon, where Summers startled the spectators (R. J. Mitchell among them) by looping the aircraft

!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer

Thats cool. Hard to believe, bet it impressed a lot of people. Looking forward to seeing the Aussie scheme.
James

More like shocked them I guess!!
here's a vid I found - this must be rare to find an actual vid of one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2UAXblTUE

Back