• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Thanks for looking guys!

After spraying on some Future to seal in the decals I started weathering the K-4 with oil paints, only the undersurface of the wings and the lower sides of the engine cowl has been done so far.

hf368ad7.JPG

h5ce41b0.JPG

h77e595d.JPG

Oil streaks have yet to be added to the rear of the engine cowl, the entire lower fuselage will get mucked up.

Matrixone

Thanks Luiz and Mr. Maddog!

Adding the oil leaks and stains has been a slow process but no complaints about it at all, this is great fun to do and I enjoy every second of it. Unlike the Panther Ausf A. I am trying to weather the Bf 109 is easy to do because I am more familiar with them.

I will let the work I have done dry for a full day before doing anymore work with oils so I don't erase any of it by accident whilst handling the model...I am far from finished with the lower surface weathering on this K-4.

h9b8d50b.JPG

hcb8051e.JPG

h6289eca.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks again Luiz and Bob!

More work on staining the undersurface on the K-4, this is about as far as I will go using oil paints...the rest of the undersurface weathering will be done using enamel paints with a hairy stick and the airbrush.

hde09c86.JPG

h3216cbe.JPG

Oil paints were also used for a pin wash to highlight a few panel lines on the fuselage sides.

hdc9a16c.JPG

hed0690e.JPG

h8e53367.JPG

The upper surface of the wings will also get the oil paint treatment on a few random panel lines.

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

No work on the 109 today, the Panther has been getting all my attention today...besides, its better to let the oil paint fully dry before handling the model.

Matrixone

Ever since I decided to model ''white 10'' I have been trying to work out a way to replicate the rain marks that are present in the exhaust stains on the fuselage sides as seen in photographs of the full size aircraft. I had been planning on painting on the exhaust stains first and then using a narrow paint brush dampened with thinner to 'draw' in the rain marks but there is a high risk of ruining the weathering on the fuselage sides if the paint brush had a little too much thinner left in it so I thought of something else...I used black oil paint to paint on some narrow vertical lines in the places on the fuselage sides where I will be painting the exhaust stains. Hopefully I will not paint the exhaust stains heavy enough that it completely covers the black vertical lines and will leave them barely showing through. Like Indiana Jones said in Raiders "I don't know I'm making this up as I go''. :hmmm

h20a29b0.JPG

hffe355d.JPG

heabf80d.JPG

h3cb92f2.JPG

While I had the oil paints out I also used black paint to add a little more dirt and grime appearance on the lower rear of the engine cowl, later I will use the airbrush to blend in the oil painting I did.

h87ffdf3.JPG

had1287d.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks!

Most of the exhaust stains were sprayed on, after the exhaust stubs and deflectors are glued to the fuselage I will use the airbrush to add more exhaust stains near the stacks.
Also I dirtied up the lower rear fuselage a little bit more.

h8ad5b5c.JPG

he776eef.JPG

This next picture shows the exhaust soot on the rear of the fuselage worn away, an effect I really wanted on this model.

hdcb5c8c.JPG

The lower engine cowl had a small amount of exhaust staining sprayed on it to blend in the work I did in this area with the oil paint.

h5a71246.JPG

Undersurface

hb49c10b.JPG

h1e0d43c.JPG

Matrixone

Back