• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 scale Tamiya Panther

Thank you Mike and Luiz!

I am closing in on getting this thing ready for some paint and was planning on using the tank commander figure so I assembled the figure and cleaned it up a bit and thought I would do a test fit to see how it would fit in the tank and found out there was no way that figure was going to be able to fit. :frantic
So my questions are would you normally build the vehicle around the figure or do you do surgery on the figure so you can place him in afterwards?
Usually pilot figures in aircraft kits are either not so good in quality or just too small to bother with but for a change of pace I thought trying to paint up a figure would be interesting to try and do since its a larger scale and easier to work with.

Oh, one more question, there is a hole near the rear of the tank on the upper deck....should there be something over that? The instructions don't show a thing nor is there a part that looks like it is supposed to go there. WTF

Matrixone

If you want to use that figure, cut his legs off around the beltline and add a length of sprue to get him to the height you want. He should just drop right in.
The hole you refer to usually has a screen or plate over it, I do not believe Tamiya provides a piece for it. One could be made from mesh or just punch a styrene disc the size of the hole plus some overlap. I may have an extra part or two, drop me a PM if you want me to dig one up. :soldier (y)

Thanks for the quick response Mike! (y)

The tank driver comes as a half figure and there are actually means provided to mount the figure inside the tank...but yet the tank commander is a full figure and no real guidance from the instructions for using it with the tank. Strange.
I have no great desire to use the figure with the tank, it was just something new I wanted to try since figures supplied with most aircraft kits are not all that great. When I can I do want to try some figure kits, pin-up nudes would be ideal for airbrushing skin tones.

I have enough spare plastic sheet to make some sort of cover for that hole I mentioned, thanks for your offer to send a part! :)

Matrixone

Bob,
After seeing others do pin-up style female figures at other modeling sites its something I always wanted to try...a lot of those type of figures are brush painted with oil paints which looks okay but I think I could do a little better than that with the airbrush.
Two or three years ago I built a couple of the old Aurora Famous Monster kits of Dracula and the Mummy, neither one gave me the chance to do any flesh tone painting, the Dracula figure was not a good choice because of being one of the undead he did not get much sun so the figure was painted with very pale flesh tones.

BTW, I finally located a date of manufacture for this Panther kit...it was on the bottom of the hull and it said it was made in 1969, if that's true Tamiya was WAY ahead of most other modeling companies. :salute

No pictures this time, the upper and lower hull parts were joined and I am starting in on getting the road wheels ready for paint. Not much picture worthy lately.

Matrixone

Thanks for the quick response Mike! (y)

The tank driver comes as a half figure and there are actually means provided to mount the figure inside the tank...but yet the tank commander is a full figure and no real guidance from the instructions for using it with the tank. Strange.
I have no great desire to use the figure with the tank, it was just something new I wanted to try since figures supplied with most aircraft kits are not all that great. When I can I do want to try some figure kits, pin-up nudes would be ideal for airbrushing skin tones.

I have enough spare plastic sheet to make some sort of cover for that hole I mentioned, thanks for your offer to send a part! :)

Matrixone

Check out Master Box 1/35 scale Pin-up http://www.mbltd.info/35183.htm and Master Box 1/35 scale US and Germam Paratroopers, South of France, 1944 http://www.mbltd.info/35157.htm. The later has 2 female bathers in it.

The Pin-up kit is also available in 1/24 scale.

Cheers

Thanks for that information Tankbuilder!

I was thinking of a larger scale than 1/24th, but I realize there may not be that much available in the large figure scales.

More work done on the Panther...but first check out the date I found on the bottom of the hull. If that is correct than no wonder I struggled at times with this kit, its Jurassic plastic! ;)

h00409df.JPG

Some paint was sprayed on to check for any problems before actual painting starts.

h9d8af27.JPG

h766a333.JPG

Some detail painting of some of the tools, these will be attached to the model after the camouflage paint has been sprayed on.

hcae2eee.JPG

h2e9df00.JPG

Matrixone

Glad you liked my tools!

Some pictures after some practice painting on it. For a short time I was thinking of doing a scheme of dark yellow over painted with the washable winter white paint on this model but since this will be more of a what-if type the disc scheme will be used.

h9998e73.JPG

h030efd7.JPG

h0bb66ea.JPG

h29a867f.JPG

h4a008c6.JPG

Matrixone

Damn Les...planes, tanks...doesn't matter. You put together some cool paint schemes & finishes. B)

Great job so far. I like your practice paint job. Kinda looks like a low flying night fighter with tracks. Gary

Thanks guys.

Practice painting should not be overlooked, muscle memory in operating an airbrush is all important and will eliminate painting mistakes a great deal.
In my case after painting so many winged things over the years its easy for me to do but painting armor subjects is not...no, the airbrush still operates the same way so that's not the problem, I quickly found that handling the Panther during this practice painting session demonstrated that with so many breakable bits on the surface of the Panther great care must be taken to avoid breaking anything off, aircraft models are usually a lot easier to handle during painting.

No painting of the Panther yet, still working on the road wheels...the instruction sheet is not helping either, some of the road wheels are labeled with different part numbers but they are identical and since I don't know much about armor models I am proceeding with caution.

Matrixone

Thanks guys.

Practice painting should not be overlooked, muscle memory in operating an airbrush is all important and will eliminate painting mistakes a great deal.
In my case after painting so many winged things over the years its easy for me to do but painting armor subjects is not...no, the airbrush still operates the same way so that's not the problem, I quickly found that handling the Panther during this practice painting session demonstrated that with so many breakable bits on the surface of the Panther great care must be taken to avoid breaking anything off, aircraft models are usually a lot easier to handle during painting.

No painting of the Panther yet, still working on the road wheels...the instruction sheet is not helping either, some of the road wheels are labeled with different part numbers but they are identical and since I don't know much about armor models I am proceeding with caution.
Matrixone

The road wheels have different numbers but are NOT EXACTLY the same. Example. Road wheels 7 have a larger diameter mounting hole that does the nearly identical road wheel 8. Same with road wheels 4 and 5.

Cheers

Matrixone

It gets complicated the way the wheels are interwoven between themselves. :soldier

Back