• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Task Force Canada HMMWV - Afghanistan 2002

f1matt

By as early as December 2001, Canada had deployed JTF2 to Afghanistan. By April they had the M1114 in theatre to assist with operations.

After seeing one image of a Canadian operated M1114 I was inspired to try and recreate that scene. Tamiya had just released it's M1025. While not exactly what I needed it would be close enough for what I wanted. It was converted (again with almost no reference) by chopping off the rear deck and replacing it with some plastic strip. The only exterior markings are two small red maple leaves. I built (and photographed) this almost ten years ago and was not as concerned with accuracy.

The figure is from Dragon and heavily modified. I made his soft cover and a pair of sunglasses from scratch.

20081028-IMG_2371-1_zpsc3bbb32b.jpg

20081028-IMG_2302-1_zps3a307602.jpg

20081028-IMG_2346-1_zpsc433e551.jpg

The base was textured with baking powder held in place with hair spray. The large rocks are simply clumps of baking powder. One "rock" has already lost some paint though.
20081028-IMG_2328-1_zps3e237041.jpg

20081028-IMG_2316-1_zpsa7cd2ffb.jpg

20081028-IMG_2355-1_zps4dba9e7b.jpg

The original photo.
20120924-DSC_0041.jpg

And here is my version. Complete with Department of National Defense censor.
20081028-IMG_2355-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

matt

Awesome looking. I'll have to try this now. Not sure about a red maple leaf though, mostly they are black. But seeing as JTF-2 pics are hard to find, you never know. Apart from the Humvee on base here I never knew we used any. Well done (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks! The camo roll is just rolled up gauze soaked in water and white glue. The texture was added using spice leaves. And believe it or not the book from which I found the photo stated the maple leaves were in fact red. Though I can`t say for certain if this is correct.

matt :laugh:

Again, many thanks! Hi James. I think I may wanna tackle this subject again. Only this time with all the goodies now available. Correct HMMWV, tires, lots of figures and equipment. Who knows, maybe there is even a second photo out there some where? If anyone has any photos of JTF-2 operated Humvee`s I`d love to seem them.

matt

Back