• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3 (76) HVSS

Re: Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3E8

Wow! I just found this and have finally seen a side of you I never knew existed! You truly are extraordinary! I am stunned at the incredible work you've done here. Beautiful job, words fail me in describing my amazement here.

Quick look at decal application, part of the Archer Fine Transfers review:

21AR88054.JPG

The sheet in question. Researched by Kurt Laughlin, I have full confidence plus the photos of the Chrysler built M4A3E8 it is based on.

Decalwork_001.JPG

Tools needed. OK, not all. Yet it is best to have sharp scissors (on right) or new #11 blade (in scalpel), good quality brushes (last thing needed are loose hairs), a decal setting solution, Future acrylic if adhesion is a problem, decal solvent to make the decal conform, and good quality tweezers to help position (in conjunction with a brush) the decal.

Decalwork_002.JPG

Decals needed were cut out with sharp scissors (Revlon scissors from a sale at a drug store's cosmetic aisle) and blunt nosed tweezers.

After placing the decals in very warm water for ten seconds, they were removed from the water and placed on a folded paper towel to continue soaking the paper backing. When first placed in the water, the rear of the sheet expands as it absorbs water but the front doesn't absorb so it curls. Placing it on the paper towel allows the absorption to continue and the decal flattens out as the adhesive gets wet and releases from the paper backing. Being on the paper towel, no need to fish it out.

The decal is then placed, with paper backing, near the final resting point. A brush moistened with decal setting solution (or Future) is used to wet the area where the decal will remain. Using tweezers to hold the edge of the decal paper, the brush is used to move the decal off the backing and into the final position.

Decalwork_003.JPG

After the decal is where one wants it, a clean brush moistened with decal solvent is dabbed onto the decal and final adjustments made. A paper towel's edge can be used to wick away excess solvent solution. Since it is to be painted over, no worries about silvering.

I hope this helps someone,

Nice SBS Saul, I can see that working much better than the finger method I have always used...

Wow,
Saul, this looks great...
Tell me again why I got roped into doing the M48:hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
I still haven't even taken the plastic off it... Boy I had better
get busy.
Saturday is the big contest in Seattle, I don't have half the stuff
done that I usually bring. New job, move and stuff have really cut my
modeling time down...
So when this is done, are you handing out Cuban Cigars or what? :D (y)
Last time I was in Cuba (I was playing around in a mine field) not intentionally
of course, I don't remember seeing any of their tanks (thank goodness). :D :idonno
Keep posting this build.
Shawn

Nice Nice nice Saul

Great little SBS to boot :)

Those Archer decals are very effective and look superb !

On a side note did you recently say that they no longer do some of those raised decal effect stuff ?

On a side note did you recently say that they no longer do some of those raised decal effect stuff ?

Andy,

The Surface Details you see here are version 2.0 and made of resin in place of ink. Version 1.0, which is no longer made and yours truly bought up ALL the remaining stock, used thick ink. I bought the stock as these less prominent details are perfect for aircraft models. I have a 1/35th scale Mi-25 Hind which needs to be covered in rivets which are not prominent but certainly not flush either.

Regards,

Last night, I took a break from packing for AMPS (big mistake). I put the camera on the recharger and decided to add the Academy HVSS mounts to the Tamiya hull tub. After all, the Academy Shermans' lineage is closely related to the Tamiya kits.

After some slight trimming and removing mounting pins, as they are in a different position, the mounts fit perfectly. Before attaching, I had to fill in the old mounting holes on the Tamiya hull tub. Then the mounts for the bogies and return rollers above each bogie were glued on.

Compared to reference photographs on Toadman's CD, there is a lot of work now needed. The bogie mounts, whether HVSS or VVSS, attached to plates on the bottom of the hull with the exception of the first one on each side. These bolted directly to the additional armor sheet in place underneath the driver and co-driver.

The Academy mounts are void of all the bottom details which include the bolts and the cast shapes. Since the camera’s battery is recharging, and nothing major happened, no photographs are offered.

Tomorrow, time to party!
Nothing like the Fanfarras of Brazil.. you must experience them when the chance is available!

Regards,

Awesome work, and bon chance at the show, Saul!

Thanks Chukw,

I really won't need luck as I am not entering any competitions, I never do. After stopping all commission builds, I only build for me, myself, and I. I no longer write under my Nome-de-Plume since Eastern Europe opened up and references became available so my abilities with the languages became moot and nothing new could be offered by me.

Regards,

h1fb9799.jpg

Just announced by Tasca... more items trickling down! For the decal sheet alone, this is a must have for me as two of my seven subjects are covered.
(y)

Regards,

Saul, I'm guessin' you did see this.
3-16-2006-12.jpg

Dad took it in '52 in Korea. There's another shot somewhere of the back of it but it's in black and white. I got tons of Bulldozer shots also.

This is new to me and fabulous, ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Regards,

I don't know how it happened, but I only saw this now (started on it yesterday): what an amazing build! :eek:hmy:

The attention to detail is almost unimaginable to a guy like me... I can't even fathom how many hours of internet browsing, reading and researching are necessary to gather the kind of info you're using on your build! :unsure:

And the execution of the project is just great, with many techniques being used and specially being shared: this is a very cool Thread, Saúl! :dude Congratulations and thanks for the effort you are putting into showing us how you do things! :notworthy

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Saul,
What do you think of the mantlet cover that comes in the new Tasca 'E8? Looks good to me and I think with a little putty it will turn out nicely!
Dan

The casting marks I used on the Dragon mantlet are designed for the Tasca item. It is a nice mantlet although I am not fond of the separately molded lifting ears.

For this build, I am using the items which trickle down as my 'top builds' get replacement parts. The Tiger Models mantlet, based on the Tasca part, freed up the Tasca item for a Dragon kit and so on... So I had the Dragon item to use here.

nice to see you around! An update on the Sherman is coming this week.

Regards,

Like so many people,I am looking forward on the update,Saul!(y)

Greetings,Ron.

I have been using this kit to try out products during reviews.

Here are the DS tracks assembled for a HobbyTrax review.
HobbyTraxABC.JPG

Review on the way once I finish a run of link to link...

From my stepSander review:
M4A3E8_Scrap_033.JPG

M4A3E8_Scrap_032.JPG

While not used in the review, these images show the quick work the stepSander did on the rear hull plate to remove scratches after I sliced off the grouser lids and moving the lifting eye mounting holes further outboard:
M4A3E8_Scrap_034.JPG

M4A3E8_Scrap_027.JPG

Original location

M4A3E8_Scrap_028.JPG

Marker used to help judges sanding progress after filling...

M4A3E8_Scrap_029.JPG

Holes drilled to accept stretched sprue...

M4A3E8_Scrap_030.JPG

Stretched sprue added, clipped off, reinforced with Dr. Mike's glue, and then sanded down.

M4A3E8_Scrap_036.JPG

M4A3E8_Scrap_037.JPG

More photos coming for sure as I need to finish the Dr. Mike's and HobbyTrax reviews.

Regards,

Back