• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Westland Whirlwind

Still coming along nicely Christian!'

That is a very cool tool, might have to invest in one of those myself!

I just put in a request to Special Hobby myself for some replacement parts. Nice to hear they are taking care of their customers!!

:popcorn

Hey Warren . They were good to me . Not lightning fast but they come through . It's just a process and they don't update you as things move along but they did answer following Emails .

As for the tool , you could get along well without it but I must admit it makes life easier :) .

Cheers, Christian B)

Still moving at a snail pace here . The main problem is having to figure out how to work out these issues rather than just throwing this thing together :soldier

The landing gear has been rather fiddly and not having positive places to mount them like a main stream kit , I moved slowly , so I would have the ability to remove it before the painting process . It's quite fragile :blush:

1 st I mounted the strut with white glue , so I could reposition so I could fit the drag brace to it.

Landing_gear_001a.jpg

2 nd the drag brace were glued to the strut . There is no place for the drag brace to mount unless you are permanently gluing it in.

Landing_gear_002a.jpg

3 rd when those glue joints were cured , the assemblies were removed and painted .

landing_gear_0010a.jpg

4 th As you can see, the axles are not straight across .

The axles were so long ( already trimmed ) and crooked that I was afraid of breaking the struts trying to install the wheels.

landing_gear_009a.jpg

Finally, I decided to trim the axles and fit a piece of tubing over them . The wheels were drilled to accept the tubing :sick:

landing_gear_011a.jpg

At long last it all fits together without breaking anything else . The extra drag braces I got from SH. were brokend during all the fiddling around .

My helper became mentally exhausted from all the figuring and had to take a break .

Landing_gear_006a.jpg

While things were drying I found the time to fit the props and the spinners together also.

Landing_gear_004a.jpg

Glad to get past the issues :woohoo: Now , I'll have to figure how to attache the gear doors.... :(

Cheers, Christian B)

It ain't easy being the fat cat.

:popcorn

Poor Tomas , he is so maligned . Everyone refers to him as being fat except for the vet .

He's actually a British short hair and has the round face and a large full body . I think he might have some Latino ancestry as well since he is very fond of long siestas :)

Cheers,

You mentioned the gear doors may be an issue. So, are the hinges etched or plastic or simply none existent ????

Ian.

Very nice Job master. The Propellers look immaculate.

Are you sure your cat is not allergic? He sure seems to be struggling to breath!!!

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex . Tomas does have some allergy problems but is medicated .

I think this is just one of his weird sleeping positions . He's been known to sleep with his eyes partially open as well :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

You mentioned the gear doors may be an issue. So, are the hinges etched or plastic or simply none existent ????

Ian.

Hi Ian .

The mains have nubs , so they may work out but the tail wheel doors have nothing at all.

Cheers, Christian B)

Very nice Job master. The Propellers look immaculate.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex . It was a bit of a pain to modify them to be centered on the engines the way the manufacturer made them .
They were meant to be glued on which I don't like to do anymore .

I'm happy with them now :)

Cheers,

The pain continues , which is why there have been no recent updates.

Here's the reason for the pain :S

special_hobby_001b.jpg

No amount of sanding and buffing has been able to remove this stain . I have also tried Future a couple of times.

I even tried to duplicate it with a vac-u-formed copy . All without a satisfactory result .

It just seems to be within the plastic itself.....Sent request to S.H. for replacement . :soldier

Other than that, it has been ready for paint .

special_hobby_002a.jpg

Waiting on a reply from Special Hobby .

In the meantime I started scribing something for a future project .

KI-51_001a.jpg

The much loved Sonia , first molded by Manya many moons ago . Great little kit.

Cheers, Christian B)

You chose a Special Hobby kit... There is a reason most sane people don't choose Special Hobby.

I will light a candle and say a prayer you survive this ordeal.

Woof! That canopy looks rough. Let's hope the replacement they send you is better. :dude

You chose a Special Hobby kit... There is a reason most sane people don't choose Special Hobby.

I will light a candle and say a prayer you survive this ordeal.

Light several , I could use them . If this was a Biblical story it would no doubt be found in Lamentation. :(

On the other hand , this kit is one of their better kits from them and it is way better than the ancient Airfix version.

I previously tried to make prop spinner from the Airfix kit fit this one but the dimensions and shapes are very different :sick: but frankly the SM. version has a better shape.

It's definitely not a Tamiya for sure but it would be nice to have a decent Whirlwind :frantic . Definitely not a Manya either :rotf . Old as those are .

Cheers, Christian B)

Woof! That canopy looks rough. Let's hope the replacement they send you is better. :dude

That would be very nice . Definitely would be a pleasant thing :)

Guess if worse comes to worse, I can paint it black . After all, it's only a hobby :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back