• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vietcong Sniper 1/35 * Completed *

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

The camo pattern is looking good! What are your plans in regards to shading and highlighting?

Cheers,
James

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

He has that 1000yard stare (y)

Hey Dave,

I'm not trying to be nitpicky or anything, but I'm not so sure that this figure would be exhibiting the "1000 yard stare" since this sniper is on the move. What you would probably see is his concentration on his surroundings. One usually sees the "1000 yard stare" after action has occurred such as during lulls in the fighting, or when the action is completely over and you have a chance to sit and reflect on what you have just been through, or you are totally exhausted after being on edge for so long. At that point you really aren't focusing on anything, hence the "1000 yard stare." Being on the move, especially in the case of this sniper who would either be trying to get into position or is trying to put some distance between him and an element pursuing him, he would need to be "focused" on what his is doing. To not be focused on the task at hand could prove to be fatal for him. To me, he looks to have that "focused" look rather than the "1000 yard stare".

I know for me, when patrolling or preparing to make contact, I wanted to be totally focused on the task at hand. Afterwards, when it seemed a bit safer or we were back at base, then I would "stare" for a while. Being a leader, I really didn't have much time to do so as our OPTEMPO was pretty high and between missions I had to do planning for the next which took up alot of my time. However, when there was some downtime, since we did not get much rest, I am sure we all took on the "1000 yard stare." Even now, there are times when I am sitting in the living room or at the work bench and reflect on some of my experiences and since my mind is elsewhere, my wife says I am "staring off somewhere." Sometimes I catch myself doing so and other times I don't even realize it until I am "brought back" by a noise or someone talking to me.

Just my opinion on the look on the face on the figure. I could be wrong. The person who can tell you for sure what the intent of the figure was would be Vladimir Demchenko who sculpted the figure and who owns Bravo 6.

Cheers,
James

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

The camo pattern is looking good! What are your plans in regards to shading and highlighting?

Cheers,
James

Hi James.
Ive started a raw umber wash over suit to mute cammo and Im thinking of dry brushing with khaki or beige to fade and make it more worn looking, at least thats the plan!
TOM

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

The figure after drybrushing;

h7a21d08.jpg

The start of the base;

h1c17f60.jpg

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

Looking good! Do you plan on incorporating some vegetation in that ring on the top of the sniper's rucksack? That is what that thing is for. I think it would really add to the camouflage nature of the figure if you are able to do so.

Cheers,
James

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

Looking good! Do you plan on incorporating some vegetation in that ring on the top of the sniper's rucksack? That is what that thing is for. I think it would really add to the camouflage nature of the figure if you are able to do so.

Cheers,
James

You know I did wonder what that was for, I saw a picture of it green so I just painted it and moved on, it might be possible to add some vegetation so I will have to see. Thanks for the input....Tom.

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

Looks really good. I like the dirt on the bottom part of his legs. Only suggestion I have is to try to matte or flatten the shine on the clothing and equipment if it is not the result of perhaps a flash on a camera as that can sometimes make a figure in a picture look a bit glossy when the finish is actually dead flat.

The texture of the ground work looks good. Can't wait to see the finished vignette.

Cheers,
James

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

OK with the hurricane about to hit us here in Florida I decided to finish this project up.

Finished base

h2841ce0.jpg

With figure

hc32eac0.jpg

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

Diorama looks pretty darn good!

In regards to the weather in your neck of the woods, stay safe!

Cheers,
James

Vietcong Sniper 1/35

Figure looks excellent. Glad you got it done. Keep your head down and the hatches battened down.

Back