• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS TEXAS build.

Catapult Activity - World War II
22 May 1944
The catapult and airplanes removed in Belfast, Northern Ireland in preparation for the invasion of Normandy

7 July 1944
The catapult and airplanes brought back aboard with the catapult being lashed to deck, in Belfast, N. Ireland

25 July 1944
Catapult installed atop Turret 3, Oran, Algeria but the airplanes were removed (Oran or Taranto, Italy),
in preparation for the invasion of Southern France.

18 August 1944
Airplanes and aircrews were brought back aboard, Palermo, Sicily

September 1944
US Navy considered modifying the P-4 mod 1 catapult to accommodate the SC-1(replace OS2U).
Examination continued through July 1945.

July 1945
Navy Bureau of Aeronautics initiated action to modify the cruiser P6 catapult into P6-2 catapults
for ARKANSAS, NEW YORK and TEXAS.

12 December 1945 - Catapult permanently removed
Terminal Island Dry Dock, near Los Angeles.
The planes are in a ship's photo 27 October 1945 commemoration of US Navy Day, in Los Angeles.

Weird. One article did read the catapult was removed between 1941-1945. Another article says the planes were removed, readying for D-Day. Yet another says,
Screenshot_20240116_080743_Chrome.jpg
shortly after the end of the war, in December of '45, the catapult was taken off.
But...finally here's a photo of Texas in the pacific theater, 1945 with a Kingfisher on deck

The fact that it doesn't fit the way it is supposed to fit means whoever made the PE screwed it up. I vote (if I have one) to leave it off since it's wrong and it's plausible it was not there during Normandy invasion.

I'm almost there! The kit supplied bow flagstaff was to thick, and looking at Texas pics, way to short. The kit didn't even supply one for the fantail. I replaced the bow flagstaff, and made the whole setup for the aft one with stretched sprue. The fantail's staff is set at an angle. I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with this Trumpeter offering. I mean it's not like there's not plenty of info to make a decent model. Hell, the real thing is sitting in Galveston, they could go look at it. Anyway it is what it is. At this point I'm just looking forward to getting color on it.
Yeah that is a common problem with Trumpeter kits. They usually fit together well, but are almost never quite accurate. Their 1/32 B-26 is horribly wrong, as is the Ju87A and the USS Arizona. You would think they would learn to just spend a little time on research to get things a little closer to correct. As the kits they put forth are many times the only kit in scale or the only kit available, you just have to deal with the issues.

You should be happy and proud with the quality of the build so far. You are going to end up with a very nice Texas

Yep, that's where I failed on the Graff Spee, Couldn't figure out how to get those on without gobs of glue. "Very Carefully" yeah I know. :rotf

:popcorn

Yep, that's where I failed on the Graff Spee, Couldn't figure out how to get those on without gobs of glue. "Very Carefully" yeah I know. :rotf

:popcorn
I'm digging these steel warships but, the next one will definitely be at least 1/200 scale. Don't think they do the Texas in that scale yet. Not sure about that though. I'm using sharpened toothpicks to apply the glue. I can see from the stern photo on the starboard side of the hull there's a couple of drops of CA I need to clean off. We'll see what all needs attention once the primer is on.

Last edited:
On the mainmast of the Texas there is poles extending out on each side of a platform. I don't know what they are called,
20240116_183908.jpg
Screenshot_20240116_194322_Chrome.jpg
I thing they for flags. The kit didn't supply this, so again stretched sprue was used to represent it. I can see from the Texas mainmast pic where I can add a ladder to the radar mast. I have lots of ladder PE!
20240116_184217.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, you are a master PE'er! Those railings look so dang good!
I need you to do a video of how you did that STAT!
I'm a far cry from a master, Greg. Here's my simple setup. Scrap piece of wood for putting a drop of CA on. Sharpened toothpick, tweezers.
I go through a lot of toothpicks. Good quality tweezers are the key. These Siser brand pair are the best I've seen. Got them at Michael's.
20240119_153651.jpg
20240119_153816.jpg

Attachments

• 20240119_153851.jpg
    20240119_153851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Most impressive, Tim! How much of USS Texas comes apart for painting?
One would think somewhere near the after superstructure, not far form the flag hoist yardarms one might find an oddly shaped locker with slots in the top. A "Flag Bag". It hasn't been a cloth bag for over 100 years, but that's what it's still called, even when it is made out of welded steel.
Storage for flag-hoist signal flags.

Most impressive, Tim! How much of USS Texas comes apart for painting?
One would think somewhere near the after superstructure, not far form the flag hoist yardarms one might find an oddly shaped locker with slots in the top. A "Flag Bag". It hasn't been a cloth bag for over 100 years, but that's what it's still called, even when it is made out of welded steel.
Storage for flag-hoist signal flags.
Trumpeter didn't even supply the flagpole, let alone a flag bag 😜
The main guns, and boat cranes come off for paint. I wanted to glue the cranes on, but they would be all in the way airbrushing.

I'm a far cry from a master, Greg. Here's my simple setup. Scrap piece of wood for putting a drop of CA on. Sharpened toothpick, tweezers.
I go through a lot of toothpicks. Good quality tweezers are the key. These Siser brand pair are the best I've seen. Got them at Michael's. View attachment 165149View attachment 165150
Well, I doubt a master could do a better looking job. Well done! And thank you for the tips!

Back