• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

therapy build

I always thought the Lightning looked a bit like an airborne guppy. :laugh:

Still a cool, little, unique bird. I'd like to build one some day.

Coming along nicely. :drinks

Thanks guys!
The stitches came out Friday afternoon/evening. The appointment was set for 5:00pm, finally got to see the doctor at 8:45pm. I'm not going to rant......but geez!!!!!!!

So yesterday and today I worked on the decals sporadically. I think I've done pretty well up to this point. Maybe I'm too clumsy or it's the decals themselves but it's been a bit of a struggle. I will say Trumpeters marking guide could either be bigger or they could unclutter it a bit, or maybe it's all me. A couple of the decals did curl up as they slide of the backing paper but I was able to to fix them.

Forgive the belly stripes I know they're crooked but those grabbed onto the paint and nothing I did could straighten them out.
IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

wow that tail needs a dusting! thats from the cotton cloth I used to pad the jaws of my hobby vise. Well here it is warts and all. That's about 25 of the 129 decals that go on this bird. I doubt all of them will make. This thing has more stencils than an F-4!

Thanks guys!
The stitches came out Friday afternoon/evening. The appointment was set for 5:00pm, finally got to see the doctor at 8:45pm. I'm not going to rant......but geez!!!!!!!

So yesterday and today I worked on the decals sporadically. I think I've done pretty well up to this point. Maybe I'm too clumsy or it's the decals themselves but it's been a bit of a struggle. I will say Trumpeters marking guide could either be bigger or they could unclutter it a bit, or maybe it's all me. A couple of the decals did curl up as they slide of the backing paper but I was able to to fix them.

Forgive the belly stripes I know they're crooked but those grabbed onto the paint and nothing I did could straighten them out.
IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

wow that tail needs a dusting! thats from the cotton cloth I used to pad the jaws of my hobby vise. Well here it is warts and all. That's about 25 of the 129 decals that go on this bird. I doubt all of them will make. This thing has more stencils than an F-4!

Awesome! :good:

Thanks Bob I appreciate that!

I have moved on to the rest of the decals, not an easy feat. I think I may of had a bad sheet. I have never had decals so unpredictable. Some went on easy pessy, some went down with a fight, and some curled up in a ball like a scared armadillo. So I did what I could to make it look presentable.

Here's the pics.
IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Looks good from here ! (y) I have a growing dislike for decals of late, sometimes they seem to be more trouble than the rest of the build !

I took some sage advise and punted the stencils. At this point I just dont have the dexterity or patience to bother with them and their unpredictable behavior. So with the main markings on, and a gloss coat to seal them, I'm moving on. Today was all about the canopy and windscreen. Got them masked off and sprayed black as well as the anti-glare panel. After that dried I masked off and painted the gun port panels, and got her up on her legs.

Not wanting to push my luck so I called it a day. I have a therapy session tomorrow morning so I'll probably finish her up in the afternoon.

Here's a shot off her up on her landing gear, still have the nose gear doors to add, and the missile pylons.
IMG_1492.jpg

As always thank for looking and commenting.
Greg

Looks good from here ! (y) I have a growing dislike for decals of late, sometimes they seem to be more trouble than the rest of the build !

Yeah I'm will you Gary. I sometimes miss those Monogram sheets with the thick glossy decals that you couldn't tear if you tried.

Here's a pic of what I had happening with these.
IMG_1493.jpg

From half way across the room you can't tell. I did shoot this in macro about an inch from the model so it looks much worse in the pic that in real life. But still........... Very frustrating

It's going to look just fine as soon as you forget the struggles, I promise!

I hate the stress of decalling too. I now have a stencil cutter so I can paint a lot of the markings, and I've had an ALPS and a color laser printer to make decals with for a long time. It's less stressful when you know you can always get another decal.

I always scan the original sheet before cutting into it, that way if I need to make stencils or print decals I have a source for them. National insignia can be found on generic sheets, it's the nose art and other aircraft specific stuff that is an issue.

therapy build FINISHED

IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Well folks there it is. Not my best effort but under the circumstances, I must say I'm well pleased with it. Thank you each and every one of you that have encouraged me on during this build. Believe me when I say it helped me keep moving forward.

And now for my next feat of daring do...... maybe pull out a shelf queen and finish it up. Just to get another one finished before the Doctors clear me to go go back to work.
Many many thanks

Greg

Back