• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

StuG IV Schurzen - Strange model

Orange Hobby as released some new stuff for the StuG IV. One of them is the "Simple System of Space Armor for Stug IV"

42061036709669e35f11o04.jpg

44817581257826144a04280.jpg

Now here's my little problem. I'm not able to find any info on that specific schurzen configuration. I've look into the following reference and I came empty handed: :pinch: :S
Ryton Sturmgeschutz
Spielberger Sturmgeschutz and Panzer IV & variants
Various Squadron publications
Achtung Panzer #5 - Sturmgeschutz
Various Osprey publications
Wydawnictwo Militaria
Google....

Can anyboby shed some light on this one? Was it really used in combat? Official setup or field modification? Factory test only?...

Hi Richard , I would most definitely say field mod ............. and yes it was in action .
Even though the model shows off-set brackets to hold the plates and the pic. I provided shows , what appears to be plates attached to the fenders , to me that's just more proof of field expediency .

1astug.jpg

Yes , they are also Stug III's :D . I think the swing away design must have been carried thru on stug IV's too :D . The idea seems to make a lot of sense .

Jenny :kiss:

Yup, that kind of configuration on StuG III are quite easy to find ;) It would also suggest that if it fit a StuG III then why not a IV. After all when it come to german stuff everything is possible :laugh:

Stug III , IV , Lang , Hetzer , etc. .......... where's Laura , what was the factory standardization on any stand-off/side armor ?

Was it like the Cullin hedgerow cutter ? Did German tankers apply them in the field first then the factories got hip ?

I still think more often than not , logs , sand bags , stand-off/side armor etc. were thrown on tanks way before any standardization or factory added " extra protection " was decreed .
Also think about this , were tanks brought back to the dealership to have side skirts , added armor etc. placed on them , or were they given to field maint. units to be added on in the field , I think so .

All in all , my favorite " look " is always field applied stuff !!! Plenty of artistic license and wiggle room :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheyenne wrote:
were tanks brought back to the dealership to have side skirts , added armor etc. placed on them , or were they given to field maint. units to be added on in the field , I think so ./quote]

I didnt realise the Germans had Toyotas.......... :laugh: :laugh:

Back