• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Something totally different! .....and red

The little wings on the front are photo etch that is included with the kit. They were impossible to bend and even harder to get to affix to the plastic. Who wants to take bets on them getting knocked off? :unsure:

Darnit! Just knocked off one of the wings! :bang head

:laugh: Well that didn't take long. Those are akin to me and brass pitot tubes...I must've knocked the one off the Jaguar half a dozen times during construction. :facepalm

Hi guys! Time to catch up with a little progress here on the Ferrari. Once the YF-23 was finished I focused on this build for a little while. I just have to say, car models are way different then what I am used to doing. Unfortunately after a weeks worth of work, there still isn’t a lot to show. Its just slow going and add to it that this is a bit of a difficult kit, this has been trying to say the least. Besides having to clean flash and horrendous mold seams from all the parts, many of the pieces are warped as well. :bang head :bang head :bang head

The first few steps all revolved around the driver’s area. Everything was painted with either Tamiya or Vallejo paints. I had some bleed through of the black on the red of the driver’s seat and the fire extinguisher. That was a pain to get sorted, and its not perfect, but likely won’t be visible once the car is assembled.

Alright, here are a bunch of parts painted up waiting to become an interior…

Post_3_1~4.jpg

And here is assembly so far. The tub had to be glued on the front and left side and allowed to dry overnight before I clamped down the left rear so it would meet the chassis. Warping has been a big issue on this kit.

Post_3_2~3.jpg

Not a whole lot to show for it, but I did put in quite a bit of effort. Now that its moving though I can easily space all this in with another build (like my M113), and keep making progress.

Thanks for looking folks. :fencing
Mike

Looking good Mike! Your patience and persistence is paying off. :drinks

Thanks Chris!
Surprisingly my motivation is really high on this build. I think it's because it's so different then what I'm used to doing, helping to keep focused on the challenges.

Hi guys! Time to catch up with a little progress here on the Ferrari. Once the YF-23 was finished I focused on this build for a little while. I just have to say, car models are way different then what I am used to doing. Unfortunately after a weeks worth of work, there still isn’t a lot to show. Its just slow going and add to it that this is a bit of a difficult kit, this has been trying to say the least. Besides having to clean flash and horrendous mold seams from all the parts, many of the pieces are warped as well. :bang head :bang head :bang head

The first few steps all revolved around the driver’s area. Everything was painted with either Tamiya or Vallejo paints. I had some bleed through of the black on the red of the driver’s seat and the fire extinguisher. That was a pain to get sorted, and its not perfect, but likely won’t be visible once the car is assembled.

Alright, here are a bunch of parts painted up waiting to become an interior…

Post_3_1~4.jpg

And here is assembly so far. The tub had to be glued on the front and left side and allowed to dry overnight before I clamped down the left rear so it would meet the chassis. Warping has been a big issue on this kit.

Post_3_2~3.jpg

Not a whole lot to show for it, but I did put in quite a bit of effort. Now that its moving though I can easily space all this in with another build (like my M113), and keep making progress.

Thanks for looking folks. :fencing
Mike

Looking good Mike. :drinks

Ferrari 330 P4

Greetings all! Its been a little while since I’ve posted much of anything here. Its been a hectic few weeks, I’ve found time for modeling, but not a lot of time online. I’ve got some free time this weekend, and plan to spend a lot of it at the bench. :yipee

All right, lets get caught up on this build.

The basic build sequence so far has been to paint the pieces and then add them to the build. The next step was the dashboard and instrument cluster. The assembly is made of two parts. Unfortunately the top of the dash was warped. I fixed this by gluing down the left side and letting that set overnight. Then I glued and clamped the right side and let that sit overnight. Once I removed the clap it was pretty much straight. Once assembled, I painted everything black, then shot some future on it and placed the decals for the gauges. Once they set and were flat coated, I replicated the glass with Micro Crystal Clear and added the steering wheel.

Post_4_1~4.jpg

The next step was to paint the rear firewall. The top was painted first using Rosso Corsa 300 from Zero Paints. These paints are color matched to the manufactures specs and this was the red used by Ferrari on the 330s. The bottom was painted Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. The shoulder harnesses are attached to the firewall so I felt it would be easier to attach them prior to assembly. Fujimi provided either photo etch belts with the hardware attached, or the option to use self-adhesive fabric belts with photo etched hardware. I went with the fabric option, which worked out very well. The only downside is the fabric is very rigid and does not lay down very well. But they do look better then the photo etch would have.

Post_4_2~4.jpg

The lap belts were installed and then the remaining parts to make up the drivers cockpit were assembled. There are no positive positioning indicators for the firewall and the inside door panels. This made it a little fidgety to get them all in place. A little patience, dry fitting the body shell and some sanding eventually led to a good fit.

Post_4_3~4.jpg

Post_4_4~1.jpg

Next step was to get the rest of the detail parts painted. I used mostly Tamiya colors loosely following the instructions. I did have one nearly catastrophic mishap. The rear suspension swing arms were molded as a single piece. Fujimi’s plastic is very soft and this piece broke when I removed it from the tree. In the end I used a piece of brass rod to pin the pieces together. Once it was all aligned and glued down to the chassis everything appeared pretty strong. Disaster avoided! Here’s a shot of the finished parts prior to assembly.

Post_4_5~1.jpg

Next up, assembly. Here are the engine, suspension and rear brakes installed.

Post_4_6~1.jpg

Next was the exhaust pipes, rear structure and the spare tire mount. The exhaust pipes did not fit at all. In the end I had to shorten them and add pins to support them on top. They are pretty much invisible in the end, so in hindsight I could have avoided a lot of aggravation and just left them off.

Post_4_7~1.jpg

Up front I added the radiator. I painted it Alclad Stainless Steel. It is quite visible through the bodywork. And I thought this was an appropriate color for it.

Post_4_8~1.jpg

The rear deck was assembled next. Its made up of a clear window and the deck. I painted it the same red body color and the window was masked so the trim was painted black, then they were assembled.

Post_4_9~0.jpg

The wheels where the last part of the chassis that I needed to assemble. I sanded the seam off the tires, and was very surprised I didn’t screw up the tread blocks. I through them into my ultrasonic cleaner when I was done to help get all the sanding dust out of them. Then I added them to the wheels. The front wheels had the brakes installed as well and the spinners were added. I unfortunately lost one of the spinners, so I didn’t add them to the rear wheels.

Post_4_10.jpg

Fujimi did have dry transfers to add the logos to the tires. They include both Firestone and Goodyear logos in gold color. I couldn’t make them work at all. According to my references for this car, #26, the tires were Goodyear with white logos. I went out and sourced some decals, but unfortunately the only ones I found where the wrong diameter. I chose just to leave them off in the end. I also found out that the wheels supplied in the kit are wrong for #26 as well. Compare the picture above of the kit wheels with the real car below.

3-Daytona67-Ferrari.jpg

With all that in mind, I decided not to worry too much about it and installed the wheels as is. The front wheels are steerable and roll. Once I get it all finished up though I will probably glue them in place, as there is just way too much play in them in every direction. The rear wheels attach to a solid metal rod that acts as the axle. The spare tire was super glued into position.

Post_4_11.jpg

Then the rear deck was installed, which hides all the rear detail.

Post_4_12.jpg

That completes the chassis. Next step is to get the bodywork cleaned up and painted. This has been a challenging kit, as I have stated before. But its turning out well, and is keeping me very interested as I go.

Thanks for looking in folks!

See you soon
Mike

Thanks so much everyone! Unfortunately, disaster has struck. :bang head :bang head :bang head

I sprayed a coat of white Tamiya primer from the rattle can, and I ended up with some pretty bad orange peel in several places. :bang head :bang head

It was an old can that didn't have much left in it and I got a lot of spurting. On the smooth surfaces i can sand it out pretty easily, but the worst of the orange peel was all around the rivets on the bodywork. Making sanding nearly impossible without losing the detail.

Not sure what I am going to do just yet. Might try to strip the paint. Anyone every done that once the clear parts are installed?

Time to walk away from this for a little bit... :vmad

Strip it and try again. :zen

Its in a simple green bath as we speak. I've heard this works and is milder then the standard over cleaner method, just takes a little more time to soak. In the mean time I am considering buying another kit and starting the body over, I made a few mistakes and wouldn't mind a do over.

Just to catch everyone up, I didn't have the best luck stripping the paint. I decided to order a second kit and use it for the body shell (and the missing spinner!). Got the second one cheaper then the first!

Once it gets here, I'll get back running on this build. Its not a dead build, just a lady in wait...

Back