• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Resin Question

Teaker11

Hi all
I have a part that is warped, If I apply heat say from a hair dryer would that be enough to streighten out the part? I don't want to break it and I have never tried it before.
Thanks
JIm

Somewhere in a past life Saul posted step by step pictures of straightening resin in hot water, hopefully he'll come along and maybe share those again.

http://tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=53&func=view&catid=36&id=22580

Thank you for the tip, That was very interesting I didnot know that resin has memory. Unfortunally this will not work in my case but if it will bend in water it should work under slow heat (I hope) I only have to move the assembly up less than an 1/8 of an inch to align the missle launchers. I will post before and after pictures this may help some on else.
Jim :unsure:

I wonder what happened to all the text I had written! :idonno

Anyway, in it, I explained that I usually give all resin pieces the hot water treatment before building. In the case of built models, I try to take the warped piece off, even if it means sawing an item and replacing after the treatment with a shim the same thickness of the saw blade I used. In some cases, I suspend the glued on part in the hot water using the rest of the kit as the handle.

If you can, post a photo before you try anything.

Regards,

Ok here is the problem I have if you notice the right side is lower than the left. I had both sides aligned but I broke the right side off and when I reglued I was off. The struts on the bottom are fragile and I was hoping to just warp it up scince I don't have that far to go. but after looking at this when I took the pictures I may be able to debond the ca on the back strut and relign it. I did not think of that solution. Thats why I came here for opions and I thank you all. Sharkmouth I can use you water solution for another kit that is warped Thank you for the tutorial. But here are the pictures I will try to debond in the morning and repost the results. Thanks all for the input.
Jim :)
001-52.jpg

002-49.jpg

Debond overnight (as long as you know the debonder does not affect resin)

Regards and good luck,

Acetone will take the paint off for sure. Shouldn't hurt the resin, but I would check on a runner first!

Thanks everyone I an still learning on resin, I do like it more than plastic. I think that there is more detale than a plastic kit and there are more unique kits.
Jim

YAE! it worked I used debonde on the lower struts on both sides and was able to realign both launchers. Thank you all for the tips, now I have more tools in my tool box :cheer:
I have built plastic models for years, but resin is compleatly different so I am relearing my skills. here is the picture of the realignment.
003-45.jpg

Now I can finish up the model.
Jim

Back