• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RENAULT FT-17

Very nice work Terry! (y)

Question; Is it supposed to be a setting museum piece, or one that has just been parked after it was run across the battlefield?

Method to my madness and has to do with the tracks. I will come up at contest I am sure.

If you are refering to the amount of "mud" present on the model. Mud is not always present even on the battlefield. In fact crews spend a great deal of time removing the mud from their tanks. The notion that tanks are always covered with a thick coating of mud is not really accurate. If I were depicting the tank on the battlefield then that sort of weathering might be appropriate. I know there is a popular notion out there that armor should be heavily weathered (epecially amoung modelers in Europe), but I don't acribe to that method unless the "scene" demands it. I use more subdued weathering because I want the viewer to see the model not the "mud". As far as competitions go I have rarely seen the amount of weathering ever come up in fact when we see a lot of over weathering the assumption is there is must be a mistake in there somewhere. You know like putting a tarp over a canopy. LOL There are all levels of weathering from the museum all the way to stuck in the mud. Like my wife says "It was new once wasn't it?"

Thanks B)

Nope, not mud, tank is dusty and looks great. Seems to me that those track links would get a shiney patina if they were run on anything for very long, not the light shiney edges but most of the surfaces that would rub on the ground.

That is why I asked if it was supposed to be a museum piece or one that had been run a bit.

Nope, not mud, tank is dusty and looks great. Seems to me that those track links would get a shiney patina if they were run on anything for very long, not the light shiney edges but most of the surfaces that would rub on the ground.

That is why I asked if it was supposed to be a museum piece or one that had been run a bit.

Sorry for the assumption I've aready had someone requesting more mud. Yes the tracks need some more metal color. That I will work on tonight.

Thanks

:blush:

It doesn't get much 'realer' than that.

Looks like it has true weight to it.

The only thing that looks odd to me (I'm not suggesting you change it at all, this is pure opinion), is that the tailpipe stands out since it's not rusted. I know rust is a touchy subject, but I tend to like it heavy myself and think you nailed it, especially on a muffler which would get hot and burn off protective paint and oil, but moisture from combustion gathers at the tailpipe as the air cools, so it's usually the first to rust.

It doesn't get much 'realer' than that.

Looks like it has true weight to it.

The only thing that looks odd to me (I'm not suggesting you change it at all, this is pure opinion), is that the tailpipe stands out since it's not rusted. I know rust is a touchy subject, but I tend to like it heavy myself and think you nailed it, especially on a muffler which would get hot and burn off protective paint and oil, but moisture from combustion gathers at the tailpipe as the air cools, so it's usually the first to rust.

Thanks!

Moving along to the base. Added some additional items to the tank and a scratch table and drawings.

DSC05052.JPG

DSC05053~0.JPG

DSC05054~0.JPG

DSC05055~0.JPG

DSC05056~0.JPG

DSC05057~0.JPG

DSC05058~0.JPG

DSC05059~0.JPG

DSC05060~0.JPG

B)

Awesome stuff Terry. I think I'll use this as my inspiration to build one of mine. I veru much like the looks of it. Actually I just ordered the new crew and dispatch rider to go with it.
:popcorn :D
James

Awesome stuff Terry. I think I'll use this as my inspiration to build one of mine. I veru much like the looks of it. Actually I just ordered the new crew and dispatch rider to go with it.
:popcorn :D
James

Thank you James! I look forward to you building yours.

(y)

Back