• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Question to London-based modelers

MichelC

I'll be in London during the second fortnight of January and, of course, I intend to do some modeling-related sightseeing! That means basically two things: aviation museums and modeling shops. The trip is strictly business and I'll be pretty busy with not a lot of free time so I intend to make the best of it. Top of the list is the RAF museum and after that it's pretty much what you guys are going to suggest.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

M

Hannants London shop is at the following address :

Unit 2, Hurricane Trading Estate
Grahame Park Way, Colindale,
London, NW9 5QW
Phone 020 8205 6697

Cheers,
Rich

Good luck with that as it was closed when I looked them up.

You might consider looking in some of the used book stores while in London . I found some nice and affordable books while in the Area.

Oh, the Museum had a bunch of books as well.

Cheers, Christian B)

Imperial War Museum is a must mate

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london/your-visit

Even though I live just outside Chicago now that was my area when I used to live in London

Thank you guys!

Hannants seems to be close to the RAF museum so that is convenient.

Imperial War Museum, yes, of course!

Used books shop, that's a good idea. Thanks, Christian!

I'll post pics when I'm back!

M

I came back yesterday from London where I spent two very pleasant weeks. All went extremely well, I did everything I had set out to do and even the weather was on my side with little to no rain!

On the modeling side of things I got to see the RAF museum as well as the Science museum. I spent an entire day at the RAF museum and would gladly repeat the experience! So many iconic planes, so much stuff to see, it was exhilarating! The airplane collection of the Science museum is much smaller (although they have an amazing engine collection that must beat the RAF museum's in terms of numbers) but it made my day when I saw for the first time an Me 163 'in the flesh'! Loved it! I unfortunately wasn't able to go to the IWM, Duxford being too far away from the place I was staying in central London. That will be for another time.

Thank you all for the ideas and tips! I also got the chance to meet with another modeler, who happens to work on the London Eye. He offered a free ride on the Eye and a cruise on one of the sight-seeing boats to me and my wife, which was quite nice. Thanks, Nick!!! :drinks

M

If he only spent a day there couldn't have possibly took it all in ... More aircraft in one building than I have every seen ... There's a Vulcan in there along with some Lancaster's ... B-17 B-25 you name it there's one there ...

More Photos Please ... (y)

More pics coming but I have to confess that my photography sucks. For sure my camera does. It's good enough for my modeling needs but far from enough to capture big objects like airplanes under closed space lighting conditions. The flash just isn't powerful enough. Plus, after I shot a 100 odds pics the memory was full! I've decided it's time to invest in a better camera. If any of you pro photographers read this please give me a tip on what kind of camera to buy. Something not too expensive but good enough to take some good pics inside of a museum.

Swordsman, you're entirely right, some exhibits I no more than glanced at. There just isn't enough time to see everything in detail. The bomber hangar alone, in addition to the a/c you mention also has a B-24 and a Halifax and that's without the smaller a/c like Fairey Battle, Tornado, etc. The Vulcan alone is worth the trip, the thing's so huge! There's a bench under the belly, one can sit and look into the open bomb bay where they've put a TV set that plays historic footage of the a/c in flight.

M

Love the way they have the Mossie setup.
Odd that they would have an AGM86 hanging up there. I didn't know they were deployed in the UK.

MP, this is the milestones of flight hangar: a/c representing milestones in the history of flight are exhibited here, not only British subjects.

Forgot to mention: my only deception was when I found the area reserved to Luftwaffe subjects in the Battle of Britain hangar closed off because the staff was doing some work on them. There was a Bf 108, Ju 88, He 111, Bf 109 (and two Spits) I was unable to see close up. My favorite subject. Hard luck.

M

Back