• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ploesti raider finished

fightnjoe

well lookie what made it to the front.

box-art_zpsabcd2c89.jpg

pretty decent looking kit.

i am going to try again for the elusive oob build. i want to focus on the exterior and basic building techniques.

whats in the box.
6 sprues of gray
2 sprues of clear
one decal sheet with marking for 3 of the ploesti raiders
on set instruction sheets

sprue-4_zps24025016.jpg

sprue-3_zps12c96be3.jpg

sprue-2_zpsaf4a1bd5.jpg

sprue-1_zps40bab35a.jpg

i actually got started last night but while working on step one i could not decide whether to ab the interior or to brush it. i brushed the waist gunner positions then decided to ab the rest (i think, maybe).

more pictures from mine soonish.

joe

Re: ploesti raider update 3/3

now why would that make me nervous.

:unsure:

thanks for tagging along folks.

well let me show some progress.

been cutting, sanding, and even painting some.

heres some pics of the interior.

interior-7_zps12ed7e49.jpg

interior-9_zps21d1a2b1.jpg

interior-8_zps7ae37af5.jpg

interior-9_zps21d1a2b1.jpg

and with some paint.

interior-1_zps2b04e590.jpg

interior-2_zps58f5dea2.jpg

interior-5_zps7de48d90.jpg

interior-3_zps0ae4559d.jpg

interior-4_zps918ee176.jpg

interior-10_zps1a3a2cb2.jpg

interior-11_zps76f07d77.jpg

moving right along. today going to try a trick so i dont lose or screw up those tiny little windows.

comments, criticism, critiques are encouraged.

joe

:popcorn
Off to a good start. So what trick are you going to try?

well with these windows being so small i am concerned that if i try to mask them my normal way i will end up punching them to the interior when i go to take the mask off. i am going to brush paint lightly the od and then put a small piece of painters tape over the top. hopefully that will keep the windows in place and keep them paint free.

joe

I guess I am too late, but for small windows you could leave the glass out and paint (be careful around the window). Then after its all dry use a toothpick and apply white glue or Microscale Micro Kristal Klear and swirl it in the window against the sills, gently pulling it out to leave a window.
James

I guess I am too late, but for small windows you could leave the glass out and paint (be careful around the window). Then after its all dry use a toothpick and apply white glue or Microscale Micro Kristal Klear and swirl it in the window against the sills, gently pulling it out to leave a window.
James

Great tip. Done that a few times and it really works great.

Re: ploesti raider update 3/7

update:

this thing is much easier to work with than the last one. added some weight in the nose in front of the nose gear, then in the front of the wings. it might actually sit right. glued the fuse sides together, got the tail assembly together, glued the wings together. yep and that was about it. not much in the way of an indepth build on this end. i am looking forward to the painting stage though.

some pictures.

the fuse together.....

mock-up-3_zps5e11451a.jpg

mock-up-4_zpsd30d15b1.jpg

the wings....

mock-up-7_zps2266a5ae.jpg

mock-up-6_zpsd7abe7be.jpg

and actually some decent well details.

mock-up-5_zps5e3508d1.jpg

and a full mock up, wings and all.....

mock-up-2_zps74544f79.jpg

mock-up-1_zpsd73439f7.jpg

well there ya go. at least as far as i have gotten. i need to play a bit with cleanup on the wings and there is a gap at the underside of the tail.

comments, criticism, and critiques are encouraged.

joe

Yep, those gear wells are just begging for some muck grime and dirt. I read somewhere that these guys were having to dodge jack rabbits jumping on the way into the target. :popcorn

mp you are definitely right. they are begging for some muck and grime.

joe

Re: ploesti raider update 3/10

let me update what has happened. yesterday i spent some time in the office and then came home and played a bit.

i spent 3 1/2 hours painting. i used very light coats which dried to the touch in about ten minutes. this allowed me time to get ready for the next batch. all told top and bottom are now in their od and neutral gray coloring.

first was a flat black coat for shading and checking to see where the problem areas would be.

black-1_zps6ef2693d.jpg

black-2_zps421bd5b7.jpg

black-3_zpscd333348.jpg

when that was dry to the touch (going to be a common phrase throughout this update) i moved to the bottom and sprayed the first neutral gray. working my way from nose to tail and wing tip to wing tip i sprayed the centers of the panels trying to keep away from the panel lines.

underside-8_zps82e6a6da.jpg

underside-7_zps0417d253.jpg

underside-6_zps9c31b55f.jpg

underside-5_zps85b600d4.jpg

then i highlighted that with another session of the neutral gray. focusing on the middle of the panels and a slightly heavier coat than the previous one.

underside-4_zps75aa4252.jpg

underside-3_zps60209bd1.jpg

underside-2_zps078f8743.jpg

underside-1_zps77195a6e.jpg

then i began on the topside with od. working all the panels but trying to keep in the middle of the panels. this is a light coat.

od-4_zpsffb44106.jpg

od-3_zps9ab97126.jpg

od-2_zpsf6128c38.jpg

od-1_zps36d66a7d.jpg

then i started to highlight the od. this was done using od with flat white. the mixture is to be honest something that the builder would need to eyeball. i went until it looked right, then of course i had to fix it but here it was after the highlighting. i worked from the top and kept my highlight away from the panel lines. again a very light coat.

light-highlight-4_zpsa41da139.jpg

light-highlight-3_zps41744ee9.jpg

light-highlight-3_zps41744ee9.jpg

light-highlight-4_zpsa41da139.jpg

after i looked this over it was too much. way too much. so i remixed the od and the flat white to get a darker shade, then i thinned it way beyond normal and misted it over the topside. this time i sprayed about 1/4 of a bottle of highly thinned color.

painted-4_zpsfd886b68.jpg

painted-3_zps47773c27.jpg

painted-2_zps016f8d39.jpg

painted-1_zps0bd11d1c.jpg

i like the look of this. not too much.

didnt used to like this stage, now it is one of my favorites.

comments, criticism, and critiques are encouraged.

joe

Re: ploesti raider update 3/10

looking great Joe, I like how you shaded the OD. make me want to go out and replace my airbrush today. (but I got to wait :S )

Back