• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting with Giovanni: video tutorial

Another try

face2.jpg

face3.jpg

James

Hi james, sorry for my really late reply, but I'm travelling for work and this is killing my modelling time!!

Pics are much more clear now.

What I can say id that you just need a little bit more contradt in the temples areas and on the side of the nose.

I'm starting to do the video for the jacket now.

I suggest you to prepare a base coat for the jacket, matt black.

Colours I will use to paint are matt black, camoblack brown, olive drab, english uniform, dark skintone, sunny skintone.

I did already painted the hat and collar, but didn't take any SBS...SORRY!!!!!

but find attached the pics and please ask for hints.

Ciao

Giovanni

DSC_0634web.jpg

DSC_0635web.jpg

DSC_0636web.jpg

DSC_0637web.jpg

DSC_0638web.jpg

Hi James,

Great!

As for the braid I used a basecoat in acrylics made of Ochre, golden yellow, ochre yellow and sunny skintones.

I painted the braid like it was a flat surface, then added tiny lines with a real light goldish colour.

Once the acrylics were dried I went over each lines with oil colours, using ochre, yellow cadmium and white mixed to have a light gold colour.

Let me know if you need more info.

Ciao

Giovanni

Hi James,

Great!

As for the braid I used a basecoat in acrylics made of Ochre, golden yellow, ochre yellow and sunny skintones.

I painted the braid like it was a flat surface, then added tiny lines with a real light goldish colour.

Once the acrylics were dried I went over each lines with oil colours, using ochre, yellow cadmium and white mixed to have a light gold colour.

Let me know if you need more info.

Ciao

Giovanni

I'll try it. I forgot to ask, what do you want me to use for the red?
James

Hi James,

for the red I've mixed a base of napoleonic green, carmin red then for the highlights vermillion, scarlet red, and orange.

For the shadows I add more green and a tip of blasck for the deepest shadows.

Hope this helps, and btw, I will made a video of the red trousers as well!

Ciao

Giovanni

Ciao Bob (I mean both of you!)

Thanks for the compliments, and you know I don't deserve these, however the ones to James are deserved.

Now James, where is your figure with the black basecoat?? I've prepared a video tutorial for you on how to paint the BLACK!!!!!

Here are few pics:

DSC_0798web.jpg

DSC_0794web.jpg

DSC_0795web.jpg

DSC_0797web.jpg

Have a look at it and try it, As usual if you guys have any questions, please ask!

Ciao

Giovanni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvgnvRu5A4

Acrylics dont like me. Here is what I have today. Black was done last week.
Red base

paint_0302-3.jpg

Now doing highlites

paint_0302.jpg

paint_0302-2.jpg

paint_0302-1.jpg

James

Did the highlites and painted bill and brim.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I dont have any of the yellows you call for so will have to try and find where I can get them quick.
James

Hello Giovanni, just watched the tutorial and wanted to compliment u on the professional finish. I know at the start u said that u were nervous but it really worked well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great work on the figure as well. I am really interested in how to paint flesh with acrylics as I only do flesh with oils :dude
Regards Ian.

Here here I totally agree with Ian

Like I said before I am seriously thinking of all my darker shadow tones should be in oils from now on

Excellent video and awesome outcome of the figure :notworthy

Did the highlites and painted bill and brim.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I dont have any of the yellows you call for so will have to try and find where I can get them quick.
James

James,

Great job, black is looking great, as well as the red of the hat!

Keep going like this, I'll try to make a new one soon!

Ciao

Giovanni

@ Ian,

Thanks so much Ian, I'm happy that you like my work and moreover of my attempt of making videos.

As for your request of painting flesh with acrylics, I really do flash only in oils, as shownin my previous 2 videos, simply because I do like the finish of oils over acrylics for flesh tones.

I think Joe Hudson has posted an amazing tutorial in his section.

Ciao

Giovanni

@ Andy

Hi Andy thanks so much for your kind worda!

Ciao

Giovanni

An update so you know I'm still painting. Got paint in Edmonton this week and started on the coat. Somehow missed the English Uniform in the mix. Have started some highlights. Thoughts?

5.jpg

6.jpg

James

Back