• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Off the shelf and into the drink...MTB ahead.

Great info Tankbuilder, thanks!

I'm running three brushless on three separate ESCs and batteries. My thought was that if I hit LVC while on the water, I could use the at least one motor to get back if necessary. When you run your PTs, do you have the center prop runnng at all?

Originally I was thinking that having the center mixed in at 125% it would provide some stabilzing thrust, but maybe the best way is to drop it to less than the wing motors or cut it out altogether and just use it for a boost of speed.

Right now I have the Left motor on throttle, the right on elevator and the center on the rudder channel with the actual rudder as aileron. I mixed the center motor into both wings, so it goes equal with the fastest movng motor. But if it doesn't pose a drag risk, keeping it slow (or idle) until a burst is needed might work best for everything.

I just have 2 channel radios. I'd love to get a three channel one so that I could use it to run just the center motor for the very reason you mentioned - to get the boat back in case the power for the wing motors dropped to low.

My use of the center motor right now is strictly as long runtime setup. If I want to spend a lot of time on the water with the boat then I use just the center motor and leave the two wing motors turned off.

A creally neat thing is a small camera on the bow or elsewhere recording the voyage(s) of the boat. Those cameras have really dropped in price and I hop to get one soon.

BTW, do NOT CUT your antenna wire! They are sized in length to match your receiver and cutting that antenna wire can lead to very erratic behavious and loss of range. Not much worse than being on a big body of water, having your model go out of range and then watching it sail off over the horizon. I run my excess antenna wire around the inside of the hull. My antenna connects to a removeable aerial attached to the antenna mount beside the cockpit where it was on the real Elco boats. I`m sure there`s a silimlar location on the Vosper.

Cheers

Transmitters have come down incredibly too. I just bought a second DX6i for $110 shipped. 6 channels, computer programming, store up to ten models in it. No worries of antenna wires, you get up to a mile range on the 2.4 ghz, with no issue or cross signal interference. 2.4 antenna is about an inch long.

I just bought a small drone camera that'll go on this to film the Uboat (and this too). It was $50 and you get live view via an iPad or iPhone. I'm mainly interested so my and the boys can have tank battles from the commander's view, not looking at the tank. Gonna get even more intense sticking your nose around a corner. Plus camo will make a difference.

I'm glad to hear that I can leave the center prop out of it unless I want full speed. As it is, it's pretty powerful, I had it climbing up the bathtub wall at about half throttle. Good thing my wife was out for the day, it took a lot of time to clean up the water. ;)

MP, you ain't kidding.

Okay, starting to get to the detailing. After figuring out the Vickers and the access panels, I can concentrate on building the model at this point.

Ha Ha, no. Air superiority.

That's my story. Actually, Italeri molds it so they can elevate individually, but when installd in tandem, they're locked to the horizon. :pilot

I have a spare channel on the transmitter, but I may try to make it launch torpedoes with that. :hmmm

Back