• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modulation experiment * * D O N E * *

Modulation experiment - Redux

Excellent paint application and very interesting look! Are you trying to do a Zenithal paint effect? Not sure what you are trying to do here as the rear deck has me a little puzzled.

Don't get me wrong, it looks excellent and the skill work is top notch. I am just questioning the shading pattern trying to figure out what you are trying to do.

You trying to catch up with Duke? :popcorn

Not at all, Bob, it's not easy to get bench-time at the moment, so when I do, I get as much done as I can and post it here all together. This Cromwell (and the Marder) has got to this point over a number of short 30-45 minute sessions, it's a bl**dy frustrating way to model, but with the kids off school on Spring Break, that's all I can do.

:gogo

Ian.

Excellent paint application and very interesting look! Are you trying to do a Zenithal paint effect? Not sure what you are trying to do here as the rear deck has me a little puzzled.

Don't get me wrong, it looks excellent and the skill work is top notch. I am just questioning the shading pattern trying to figure out what you are trying to do.

Hey Paul, honestly, I'm not certain precisely what I'm trying to achieve as an end-result because I'm quite a way out of my comfort zone here. I found this clip on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJXrpuWOBuM&t=599s

And even tho' this guy works mostly in 1:56, I really like the way his Cromwell turned-out at the end of the project. So, I'm copying as close as I can what he's done without completely understanding the process, just going purely on the aesthetics. I think the key word in all of this is 'experiment'. I may never try this panel-by-panel style again but if I don't try I'll never know, right ?

Ian.

Please, PLEASE keep the comments coming, folks; there's some outstanding armour modellers here and I value every gram (US = 0.035 oz) of input y'all can contribute.

Thanks all.

Ian.

The 'experiment' continues, and now has decals and both an 'earth brown' and light green filter:

h868af80.jpg

h0f00b64.jpg

Please keep the thoughts and comments coming.

Ian.

Shiny !

h9f1e874.jpg

h6a9e26e.jpg

Tamiya clear straight from the rattle-can.

Ian.

Thanks Paul... I actually 'like' it now, before I was pretty ambivalent about it. Looking forward to getting the pigments on later this week.

Ian.

Ian this weathering job is very convicing...like the subtle chipping on the top rear deck :eek:ldguy

Luiz.

Hey lookit... I got it finished !!

hc9ed2fd.jpg

h154f076.jpg

h6346998.jpg

h743d0e7.jpg

h94095d1.jpg

h8b7b751.jpg

h65ae4da.jpg

hc01051f.jpg

hc88f43e.jpg

h29a5614.jpg

h842da50.jpg

Thanks as ever for taking an interest - still not fully sold on the 'Modulation Method', but this seems to have come-out OK. Really would like to hear from you folks as to ways to improve or change for the next one - which won't be for a while - Please step-on-up folks let me know what you think.

Until the next one.

Ian.

Dear Ian.

The modulation is very convicing... but, in my opinion, the wheels are clean when compared to the rest of the tank...a positive comment my friend!

Best!

Luiz.

Overall it looks great Ian!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

I will second what Luiz said the wheels are cleaner than the top part. Take an airbrush, mix some flat clear with some tan paint the same color as that on the top and add the dirt color to the wheels. You don't need any caked on dirt just more "dust".

Back