• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modern US Navy

MM2CVS9

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a presentation at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum (President Ford was from Grand Rapids), here in Grand Rapids Michigan, given by Captain John Meier USN, the new Captain of the Aircraft carrier USS Gerald R Ford CVN - 78. She is scheduled to be commissioned February, 2016. The crew is about 1/3 filled and on - board training for them on the new systems is in progress. In August, the crew, that is presently living in shore accommodations, will be moving aboard, with all berthing and messing facilities fully operational. After the presentation, I was able to meet face to face and talk a bit with him. Man - o - man, It is hard for me to wrap my head around the advances made since I was aboard USS ESSEX CVS - 9 in 1960's. The capabilities simply boggle the mind.

EJ

Damn EJ you lucky bugger She is propably THE most techno ship in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gerald_R._Ford

Speaking of techno, Here's the sort of stuff it causes....

A faulty app caused American Airlines to ground dozens of its jets.
The glitch caused iPad software - used by the planes' pilots and co-pilots for viewing flight plans - to stop working.
The firm's cockpits went "paperless" in 2013 to save its staff having to lug heavy paperwork on board. AA estimated the move would save it more than $1.2m (£793,600) in fuel every year.
The company said that it had now found a fix for the problem.
"We experienced technical issues with an application installed on some pilot iPads," said a spokesman.
"This issue was with the third-party application, not the iPad, and caused some departure delays last night and this morning.
"Our pilots have been able to address the issue by downloading the application again at the gate prior to take-off and, as a back-up, are able to rely on paper charts they can obtain at the airport.
"We apologise for the inconvenience to our customers."
American Airlines pilots use an app called FliteDeck, which is made by the Boeing subsidiary Jeppesen.
A spokesman for the firm provided further detail.

American Airlines is not the only carrier whose pilots and cabin crew have switched from using physical charts and paper manuals to tablets.
United Airlines was also an early adopter of iPads, while Delta has opted for Microsoft's Surface tablets instead.
British Airways and Ryanair are among others still in the process of shifting to so-called Electronic Flight Bag-based systems.
In addition to saving on fuel costs, it is also suggested that such kit reduces flight preparation time, reduces the likelihood of injuries and helps staff by offering real-time updates.

Cool looking ship though . That must have been nice . Please forgive my somewhat sarcastic towards all the new and improved stuff ( techno ).

Cheers, Christian B)

You lucky :mpup You EJ ..... I hope we get pictures ..... But I guess maybe she not to photogenic ..... due to new tech and the government secrets program ..... :eek:ldguy

Back