• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling aggravations!

Hawkwrench

Do you ever get aggravated while modeling?
I've been looking forward to finally getting a model night so last night I got to model after the wife went to bed.
I WISH I WOULDN'T HAVE STAYED UP AND MODELED!
I tried to work more on my rear bulkhead on my MH-60M, but in the end I accidentally knocked off some resin rivets while sanding.-Ruin #1
So I tried to build a new one, but glued a full piece of styrene on instead of a half piece.-Ruin #2
Next I tried 3 different times to rebuild the basic bulkhead.-Ruins #3,4,5.
After that I tried 2 times to piece the bulkhead together using seperate pieces instead of cutting a single sheet. Ruins #6,7.
After that I went to bed TOTALLY AGGRAVATED!!! :angry:

Tim

But think of the experience you got with the failures. Know how not to do it now. (y)

But yes, I've been looking over a very pricey hunk of resin in my shelf of doom that I do not see myself finishing. To the point that I may never by a resin kit again.

I've been looking over a very pricey hunk of resin in my shelf of doom that I do not see myself finishing. To the point that I may never by a resin kit again.
oh-really-do-tell-me-more.jpg

Regards,

For a while I tried to down some coffee in the evenings and head to the bench when the kids were settled and the wife went to bed. It usually ended up with a broken or lost piece and me pissed and wide awake at midnight.

I found that it's better to try to steal small bits of time here and there to get small things done with good attention rather than dedicate blocks of bench time when I'm tired.

I have found that I have learned more from fixing the eFF up than I ever have from just going to it and it being a smooth build.

My best example was the little Hasegawa 1/72 He 51b that I have. I still like this little build and it is probably a bit over 25 years since I finished it. It was a royal cluster eFF up believe me.

Had it assembled and airbrushed some color on it. The assembly looked OK, but the color and paint just really didn't look good. So I went to strip it. The was before acrylic paints and ELO formula and stuff so out came the Easy-Off. The paint halfway came off and all the struts just fell apart. It was quite a mess. Rinsed it off and it went in the box on the shelf of doom for a couple of years.

One night I decided to see what I could do with it and got it out. Cleaned up what mess was left and went to work. Totally redid the cockpit (through the opening), cleaned up all the struts, and got it all assembled quite nicely this time.

At this point I had the Monogam Luftwaffe colors book and the paint chips were between the light and dark Ghost Grey, so I improvised a little and used both to add highlights and shadows. Paint turned out gorgeous! Did the decals and they went on perfectly. All the rigging is stretched sprue. Took it to a couple of contests and a regional. Got a first place in it's category.

Here is my little float plane

He51float1-7220yrold.jpg~original

Still in decent shape for her age. Only thing that has really changed is the decals on the side have yellowed slightly and the 4 way antenna on the top popped quite a while back so I finally just removed it.

Went from a total basket case to a treasure.

If something frustrates me bad enough, it goes on the sidelines until I'm patient enough to come back to it!

And I agree, never model when you are tired! If I am tired and feel like modeling, that is when I just open a kit up and plan what I want to do with it or play with possible schemes to do it in on the computer.

If something frustrates me bad enough, it goes on the sidelines until I'm patient enough to come back to it!

And I agree, never model when you are tired! If I am tired and feel like modeling, that is when I just open a kit up and plan what I want to do with it or play with possible schemes to do it in on the computer.

You just described my life.

Problem is, my sidelines are bigger than my field. :D

Nooooo, I NEVER get frustrated while modeling :gogo :gogo :gogo

I just can my frustrations and insert another ice pick in my eye just for fun. :drool

Back