• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeler of the Month July '14

Les post a shot or two of your airfield. I really like the ones where you have a forced perspective with the mixed scaled stuff.

:popcorn

:pilot Congratulations Les, Your Flugzuege sind AUSGETCHIECHNET!
I hope goodness and fortune follow you all of your days!

Wow, time flies when you're not around. I've missed a lot being knee deep in diapers the last month!

Congrats Les, very well deserved!! I always enjoy your builds, paint jobs and the photography!

:drinks

Ah yes! I've always loved the airfield shots of all your finished works. Congrats Les, it's a well-deserved honor. You always motivated me to get an airfield backdrop built for my aircraft to be photographed on too, but I'm still lacking in getting that done. Someday.....

Thanks very much Warren and Duke!

Duke,
When you can do it get a backdrop, it will make all the difference in your model pictures. Since I have no hobby shops near me I have to buy nearly everything by mail order and have been burned in the past when I ordered some backdrops and they were of low quality...if possible look at what the backdrop looks like in good detail instead of a tiny picture in a catalog.

Matrixone

Sounds good. Any recommendations on where to get a couple good ones? I'll look around at a couple railroad shops around here but I like to see all possible options. Thanks!

Duke,
All of the backdrops I purchased were from Walthers, Walthers is a model RR mail order business and even though they specialize in the RR stuff they have a lot of interesting things that are useful for scale models especially for those that like to make dioramas.
Another thing you might consider is painting your own backdrops, I have painted a few of them and it was a lot of fun to do but in the end I spent about the same amount of money on materials as I did on buying a backdrop so there was no advantage there.
If you wanted to paint your own backdrop get a large sheet of white foam board and a spray can of light blue for the sky color and either use spray cans of green or earth colors for the ground. A simple mask made of newspaper is all you need for painting the horizon with the cans of spray paint...all paints should be flat colors for the best results.

Matrixone

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Once I get paid again, time to go shopping...

Meanwhile, keep those masterpieces coming!

If you know somebody at a digital print shop you can have your own picture digitaly printed for a backdrop.

For modern digital printing an 4 - 6 mb picture ought to be about big enough for A1 size Dont try smaller picture or you might get some pixelation though

Back