• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mighty Mo, BB-63

Worked out fine I think...
1000012528.jpg
1000012527.jpg

Two things are going on here. The Discone Antenna was seriously wonky on its base because of the way I wired it with one continuous wire, so I cut off the mounting base and used a short length of brass tube so it would be hollow and not interfere with the wire bulk. Also, I have started the railing PE. Using everyone's advice the first two pieces went on relatively easily. I need three hands!
1000012531.jpg

Weapon's pylon behind the door. From the photos I can see of the M46 they seem to take pains to obscure the nose and tail, all hush hush I guess.

An external fuel tank can be carried on the port-side pylon. Every 1/350 Z-9C kit comes with torpedoes. I don't use them.
You can have the torps, but you're not getting my external tanks!

An external fuel tank can be carried on the port-side pylon. Every 1/350 Z-9C kit comes with torpedoes. I don't use them.
You can have the torps, but you're not getting my external tanks!
I didn't get to work on the model this weekend. It was my granddaughter’s 7th birthday today (Sunday) and we had the whole family here. I have made two tiny torpedoes from brass rod. I will show them if they work out!

So, the Mo continues. The PE set I have is for the WWII version so a lot of the railing is changed. I am having to guess or make up where the railing goes. I am using a generic railing set to supplement what is missing. I may have figured out the glue situation. Thanks Paul @Heavens Eagle for suggesting mixing different viscosities. These two seem to be doing the trick. The instaflex is super thin and when mixed about 3:2 with Maxi cure extra thick I get a great consistency that dries tough but with enough working time to place, re-place, re-place again, and take however many attempts it takes to get the piece where it is supposed to be with my shaky hands then add a drop of accelerator to set it.
1000012804.jpg
1000012801.jpg
1000012802.jpg
1000012803.jpg

Working with PE railing is an absolute nightmare so I probably won't be doing more ships, and a ship doesn't look right without railing, so planes, tanks, cars, tractors, figures, and other genres will keep me busy. I will never say never, but right now, it's never LOL. I am really looking forward to finishing this up!

Man, I wish I had found this Mr. Koppalakki USS Missouri build BEFORE I started mine. This guy (https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18...ic-1991-configuration-with-pontos-detail-set/) built a museum quality piece. It doesn't hurt that he served on the ship. He spent a fortune on PE and wood deck, but it is the quality of his work and level of scratch details that floors me and inspires me. I see so many things I want to change on mine. Needless to say, I have taken a step back and am rethinking some of my work and want to redo and improve it.
I had thought I was nearly done and was looking forward to finishing, but I have a new "second wind" and am excited again to be working on the ship rather than hoping I could start something else. I have been working on the ship until 1am the past two nights without even realizing it. I brought it to the SRM meeting last night and got a lot of ooo's and aaaah's but it's an easy crowd. Hopefully, this will be a ship to be really proud of once finished. I am in no hurry anymore. I am anxious to go home and work on it!! (I am at the store placing orders for the model shop, which is also satisfying LOL. When Gail finishes hers we will get out of here).

About the CA; it can evidently can get old and is not nearly as effective when it does. Last night I was trying to use the mix I told you about to add some railing to the yard arms and it absolutely would NOT dry no matter what I tried. I was baffled. After nearly going crazy and muttering to myself I opened a new bottle of the thick glue and remixed and the CA dried in seconds. What a weird problem! Anyway, that's a heads up if you have trouble with it drying. I am only going to carry small bottles of CA on my shelves from now on.

Last night I was trying to use the mix I told you about to add some railing to the yard arms and it absolutely would NOT dry no matter what I tried. I was baffled. After nearly going crazy and muttering to myself I opened a new bottle of the thick glue and remixed and the CA dried in seconds. What a weird problem! Anyway, that's a heads up if you have trouble with it drying. I am only going to carry small bottles of CA on my shelves from now on.
Exposure to humidity can play against us with CA but I suspect humidity is pretty low in the bomb shelter.

Back