• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitt Me 262 double build.

At one time I had the old TriMaster kits (yeah, pre Dragon). Not sure if I still have any other than the Ho229. Guess I will go through my stash and see if any are still in the stash.

Although I don't have a 262 kit in the stash, I do have one in my 'basket' at Hannants and will buy it next month. In the meantime here's a couple of pics of my last 'What If' Tamiya build:

h1b70bb5.jpg

hccb577d.jpg

Actually got the class win at the Hudderfield Show with this in 2011 !!

Ian.

I ditto'd what Bob said Ian, COOL! That is an interesting take. I like a lot of the Italian camo schemes and that is a good one.

Hmm maybe next year we can try an Italian campaign.

The Me 262 is a good looking aircraft no matter which country operates it.

I have seen photographs in some of my books of one in Russian markings in case anyone is wanting something completely different on their model.

Matrixone

The Czechoslovakians built and flew the Me-262 as the S-92 (CS-92 for the Me-262B):
S92.jpg

Johhny, Hubert's (Dewertus) son, built this from the Pegasus kit:
DSCF8908.JPG

Regards,

I pulled out my Tamiya 262 today and ordered some aftermarket for her. You have inspired me too Les! If you don't mind, I'll build along with you and Bob. Anyone have thoughts on making this a campaign?

...a 262 campaign...really an excelent idea :frantic ... :D

Luiz

The Bf 109K-4 and Panther are not quite finished yet but I could not resist getting started on the Me 262's. :drool

The very start of the cockpits were airbrushing gloss black on all areas to be painted RLM 66 and when that was done RLM 66 was airbrushed on leaving all the places that would normally be in shadow with some of the black showing through, doing this adds some depth to the parts and gives a more natural look to them than using a wash alone to highlight them.

h9744227.JPG

Some Me 262's were finished with a dark colored nose gear instead of the usual RLM 02 and I decided to build my Me 262A-1a with a dark colored nose gear simply because I have never done this before, it can't be determined if the aircraft I am modeling had this feature or not but the way I see it I have a 50/50 chance of being right on this. B) The nose gear was airbrushed semi-gloss metallic black.

h16b7f2a.JPG

The nose gear wheel hubs were sprayed gloss black as well as the interior of the fuselage halves and bulkheads visible from below, the fuselage halves and bulkheads will later get painted metall. Gloss black gives a better foundation for metallic paints.

hcd6f9cf.JPG

Matrixone

Off to a good start there Les! Looking forward to seeing what you do with these. :popcorn

I dug through the boxes of my stash tonight and found the old TRIMASTER kits. Wasn't too sure I still had them, but yes I did.

At the time these were the top of the list. (1989) For now I believe they are in the OK category. Still should build up into real nice models. If I get too tired of doing my Arizona mods I might try and build one of these as is out of the box. (you do believe me right? :blush: ) Not sure if Dragon ever released these later on or not, but interesting variants anyway.

Not sure how rare these are but they are definitely different. Here's a quick look see. Hope you don't mind Les.

Me-262-001.jpg

Me-262-002.jpg

Me-262-003.jpg

Me-262-004.jpg

The parts for the engine nacelles are loose in the bomber version as I used them as a sort of pattern for the Jumo 004 engines on a really poor Academy Arado 234 I was accurizing way back when. Only a couple of the parts were assembled and those were nicely done. Had forgotten about that. It has been a while.

So I have the stuff to join in on a Buddy Build if I get the need for something completely different. (Or you guys twist my arm)

Now back to our regularly scheduled MATRIXONE programming.

Those Trimaster Me 262's look very good when finished but I have read some horror stories about how they are to build. I have a Dragon Me 262 (the recon version) and it looks perfectly good to me. One concern I have with the Trimaster/Dragon Me 262 kits is the 'rubber' tires the include, I suppose someone at Trimaster thought it would be more realistic looking using those rubber tires in these kits but its just the opposite. Those rubber tires are not as easy to weather as plastic versions and are nearly impossible to sand flat spots in the bottom of them to represent the aircraft having some weight...hardly realistic looking to me. :bang head

Anyway...
Some of the tedious work was done on the Tamiya Me 262's which means the cockpits were painted and assembled.

hbe2d881.JPG

h608af32.JPG

hd63ffa6.JPG

The rest of these two models should not take as long to put together.

Another 1/48 scale Me 262 kit that is nearly forgotten is the old Monogram kit, I chased off the spiders and dug this one out of my stash, not sure if I will build it soon or not.

h583c674.JPG

hf8974c4.JPG

Here is the Monogram fuselage next to the modern Tamiya kit, remember the Monogram kit is an early 1980's vintage kit and I think Monogram did excellent work on this one.

hbb00bf7.JPG

I actually like the surface detail of the Monogram fuselage more than the Tamiya kit, the Tamiya kit has recessed panel lines while the Monogram kit has raised lines which are easy to sand down...the full size Me 262's had many of the panel gaps filled with metallic gray putty and sanded down before painting.

hb6be6e5.JPG

Matrixone

So it was a lot like the wings of the P51, should not be any panel lines or just the hint of them?

:frantic ... I'm so weak. Last night I transferred a Hobbyboss 262A from my 'wish list' to my 'cart' over at Hannants. May not hit the bench any time soon, but then maybe it might...

Ian.

Back