• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Marine SBD-1 1/48 Pushing Forward

fightnjoe

Tis that time of year again. It is time for my Pearl Tribute.

For this year I am finishing off a sister kit to one I did a couple of years ago. This is the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD -1 from the Marines at Pearl Harbor set.

Option-4_zpsbebzosid.jpg

Joe

Marine SBD-1 1/48

So far not a lot of time but I did get through steps 1 and 2a as well as part of 2b. These are constructing the cockpit and all the little details provided. i added the detail to the port and starboard as well as most to the floor. There are some things that I will not add until after I get some paint on this.

Beginning_zpscabn9wig.jpg

Does not seem like much but on the last few this would have taken about four to six weeks.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Very interested t see what you do with this, Joe. I've had the SBD-2 kit in my stash for a few years now with some Pre-War (Yellow Wings) decals to go with it, the kit looks so good just on the sprues that I feel nervous about building it (and doing it justice) !!

:blush:
Ian.

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Great stuff-- you know I'll be watching! :good:

Are you going with the aluminum interior? Not sure if they had them painted before the attack or not....I've got references if you need them- ask away!

And I'll post Dottie here to cheer you on!

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Many thanks all for looking in.

Ian I did up a -2 a few years ago, cannot remember the mfg. I did not do it justice in my opinion but I am a bit harsh on my own work. This kit looks very good sa far, I just hope I do not mess up on the paint work.

Mike I had hoped you would pop in. I remembered our conversations about the other build from this set and how the interior was unpainted. I really do not have much on this type of aircraft so anything you think would be of help is appreciated.

Joe

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Mike I had hoped you would pop in. I remembered our conversations about the other build from this set and how the interior was unpainted. I really do not have much on this type of aircraft so anything you think would be of help is appreciated.

Joe

Hi Joe...

This article is one of my most favorite resources...and this page in particular pertains to us--
http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

According to it, pre-war to early war (depending on when they got around to changing things)-- the cockpit area was aluminum lacquer and the rear area was either interior green or green zinc chromate...so it is really a matter of speculation. Thing is-- the Accurate Miniatures team was always pretty good about doing their homework and their instructions are nearly flawless in information-- so I am curious as to what they say?

Marine SBD-1 1/48

The instructions have it as Aluminium with black details. To be honest it is the next thing on the agenda so I will study them a bit more.

Joe

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Joe

Hi Joe...

This article is one of my most favorite resources...and this page in particular pertains to us--
http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

According to it, pre-war to early war (depending on when they got around to changing things)-- the cockpit area was aluminum lacquer and the rear area was either interior green or green zinc chromate...so it is really a matter of speculation. Thing is-- the Accurate Miniatures team was always pretty good about doing their homework and their instructions are nearly flawless in information-- so I am curious as to what they say?

Just want to echo Mike, interior was aluminum lacquer in the cockpit area and zinc green, interior green or bronze green in case of the Grumman folks.

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Yeah I would think that the pilot side wouldn't have had the change in color until soon after...although fact is, there were already -2's and -3's coming off the assembly line to replace the -1's anyways as the -1s weren't deemed suitable for combat. So they were probably just at that point used for training and probably weren't repainted.

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Sorry for a late response.

Been taking this all in. I went with the aluminium premis. I sprayed Alclad Airframe Aluminium and then hit it with a highly thinned Black wash to try to tone down the shine and enhance the shadows. I will show pics I hope in the next day or so.

Joe

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Ok as a budding sheet metal man We usta anodize the aluminum ... this is what gives the aluminum a zinc green color ... that being said if these planes were to be used in a Salty environment (Pearl Harbor)... I think they would be Zinc green or Interior green ... Just saying Joe ... :hmmm

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Ok as a budding sheet metal man We usta anodize the aluminum ... this is what gives the aluminum a zinc green color ... that being said if these planes were to be used in a Salty environment (Pearl Harbor)... I think they would be Zinc green or Interior green ... Just saying Joe ... :hmmm

Ok, this is what I read . Nothing about anodizing :

General

In the immediate pre-war period, many Navy aircraft, e.g. F2A, F4F, SBD, TBD show silver cockpits in photos, most probably Aluminium lacquer. Sometimes, silver cockpits were carried over to the initial weeks of the conflict.

Zinc chromate is yellow . Tinted Zinc chromate is anywhere between apple green to a greyish green ( that I am more familiar with )

Cheers, Christian B)

Marine SBD-1 1/48

I'm :popcorn Joe. I did the 1/48 AccMin SBD-1 a few yrs ago as a Yeller wingy-thingy. The interior was Aluminum.

Marine SBD-1 1/48

Aluminum is a good choice Joe...and carrying it over into the rear gunner station or painting that interior green would work either way...

Back