• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

Bloody Hell! (been watching Clarkson's Farm)
When did Solvaset get so hot! Last bottle I had I would put a dab on the surface and then put the decal on, things settled nicely. Fresh bottle opened today and did the same thing, it took the freakin' paint off like lacquer thinner!

1715392698314.png

My first bottle lasted a long time and was NEVER this hot. I've read you guys talking about thinning it but chalked it up to your preference.

Wasn't too bad to clean up and respray.
1715392772044.png

I'm starting to do decals needless to say. I'll have to clear coat that wing again though.

Tom Bly, God rest him, used to set his 1/144 airliner decals with thinned Future. Drops under the decal, get it just so and walk away. No heat.

Tom Bly, God rest him, used to set his 1/144 airliner decals with thinned Future. Drops under the decal, get it just so and walk away. No heat.
I know this trick, why did I think these decals needed solvaset to start with? They are very fine decals that are going on with just water.

I have Solvaset, Micro Sol and Micro Set. I always start out with Micro Sol as it is the least aggressive. Tamiya needs Solvaset, though I usually will mix some 50/50 with water to wet and set under the decal. I have used my airbrush with VERY LOW air pressure to lightly spray Solvaset directly on top of large decals. The air pressure needs to be just enough to make it spray, no more. Start at the center of the large decal and a distance of 3 or 4 inches and ease in, then carefully circle out. This does several things. Blows the water and air out from under the decal, softens it, sets it and somewhat dries it. Takes a little care and practice, but works quite well and quickly. The biggest part is using super low air pressure which I regulate with a valve where the hose attaches to the airbrush. Just enough air to lightly spray the Solvaset.

Are you sure ? i find Micro sol is much more aggressive than set

What is the difference between Micro Sol and Micro Set?

Micro sol is mostly a softening solution. When applied it softens the decal allowing the decal to "suck" itself to the surface it's applied to. This makes the decal conform to three surface nicely giving it that painted on look. Mico set is a setting solution which helps the decal stick better.

WOW, that is not a good thing. Glad you managed to repaint just fine. I havent seen that happen before and had not heard of thinning the stuff, but good to know.
James

I havent seen that happen before
I know, I'm telling you this stuff was as hot as lacquer thinner.

Did some massive yard work today but I did sneak in some decals. might get out there again this evening. Pictures shortly.

First, Solvaset
Looked up from my bench this evening and saw the before mentioned open bottle I was looking for. So now I have two open bottles.
1715478418203.png

One on the left is the hot stuff, one on the right, regular. In the middle is the jap val paint mule.
1715478484603.png

The test? Simple, drop on one wing and a drop on the other. You can see the results immediately.

1715478609892.png

A wipe of the old bottle shows no damage. This time, it burn right through the hot stuff burned right though the primer. Shoot, I think I could use this stuff as a solvent glue!

Think I'll put a red dot on this bottle, I have no idea who I got it from but it had a plastic seal on it yesterday when I opened it. So it was brand new. Also noticed this didn't have the brush applicator in the cap.

Anywho...
1715478786633.png

Markings on the Gee Bee, technically I've been using the wrong pronoun...this is the QED.
Little mishap with the decal on the tail, good thing I have spares.

Grosvenors House up next.

Last edited:
I bought a new bottle of Solvaset from Sprue Bros a little while ago and it still has the plastic seal on it. Might be the same stuff, I will have to check.

Aclad Micro filler black primer. Tamiya flat black for the black basing and then the Tamiya Green, I think, I don't think this was the humbrol. I tell ya, next stiff decal I get this stuff will take care of it!

Wow, that would be an “Oh S#/T!” moment for sure. Had to be a goof up at the factory. Somebodies head should roll! Maybe test newly opened bottles from now on? I sure am!

I use that Walthers Solvset as well and never had it burn through my paint.
That is truly some crazy She-eye-t what happened. :silly::vmad:

I used the normal micro set on the Decals i made for a car and ended up with nice white bits of carrier film stuck to it as the setting agent ate the printed ink on my home made decals :)

Again, I don't know why I came out swinging with the solvaset to start with. These decals are wonderful, they need little setting if any.

1715733723564.png

Hey look at all that color! Needed another clear coat on Black Magic before I got stickers on her. Had a scare with the registration numbers silvering on the port side of Grosvenor's House. Laid down some Microsolv and worked the carrier film a bit. think it's going to be ok. I'm need to add some more clear coats and get these shiny. These decals from SBS are amazing. On a good gloss surface they just melt in.
Also got the landing lights installed, need to add the props and rigging on the QED.

Last edited:
Back