• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M-88 Tachlatz!

Newfish

Right its my first blog on here so be gentle ! Bare with me though My exams are over and I seem to be getting back into the swing of things offline so I’ve managed to pluck up the courage to blog! I’m kicking off with the Israeli version of the M88A1 call the Tachlatz I‘m using the AFV Club kit and the Accurate Armour conversion kit. It will be mainly OOTB and give me a chance to get on with trying my new airbrush out! Here is what I’m going off.

2917053706848_b.jpg

I started with the winch and the two little jigs that the boom slots into when it's attached to the hull care has to be taken to not glue them in place as they will need adjusting and a wiggle to get it to fit into the boom and to make sure it lines up with the upper hull

p1010108.jpg

Also I sanded the spoonsoons to ensure the upper hull sits snug against the lower hull! After that I started with the running gear and adding all those little missing bolts! Using hexirod and a knife. They still need cleaning up a little though, I added the idler wheels too but the rest of the running gear I am going to leave off so it's easier to paint.
p1010116.jpg

p1010134.jpg

Sorry about the pants photo's I'm trying to get use to using my moms camera!

Comments welcome

Jaymes.

Jaymes you will find no more gentle place. Looks like you have made good start keep it coming.

Terry B)

Hey Brad can you explain what you mean? TRV? I do not understand your post sorry.
Terry thanks for the warm welcome :)
Hey Thanks John
Ozelot if you could find a decent walk around of the Late version I have some photos but
not many and also a detailed walk around of the dog house I'll build it ;)

More tomorow

Jaymes.

Hey Brad check this link out M88

Ozelot that's Adam's He's a friend of mine so maybe I can contact him again.

Thanks Kreighshoer IDF stuff Rules B)

Kreighshoer wrote:
great start jaymes!

we definitely need more idf stuff to check out!

Shalom!

You'll be getting a lot more IDF models to check out sometime in the not too distant future. I have a number of kits in my stash that will be built as IDF vehicles.

Here are a few of them:

Various Jeep Kits (2 or 3)converted to Jeeps of the Negev Beasts circa 1948
Tamiya Cromwell circa 1948
Academy M-51 (erroneously labeled Isherman = IDF never usedthat designation)
Italeri M-32 Recovery Vehicle
Tamiya M-48A3 Patton (convert to A2)
Tamiya M-60A1 convert to Magach
AFV Club Centurion SHOT (Hebrew for WHIP) 1967
AMT M-60A1 without Blazer Armour and Thermal Sleeved Gun
AMT M-60 with Blazer Armour and Thermal Sleeved Gun
Academy M-60A1 with Blazer Armour and Mine Plow
AFV Club Centurion Shot KAL 1973
AFV Club Centurion Shot KAL 1973 convert to 1982
Italeri M-107 Self Propelled Gun (Verlinden 170mm ammo)
Italeri M-110A1 Self Propelled Gun (lots of AFV Club 203mm ammo)
Italeri M-110A Self Propelled Gun (longer barrel, muzzle brake)(AFV Club 203mm ammo)
M-109 Rohev Self Propelled Gun, KMC Turret Interior,scratch-built hull interior (with *LOTS* of AFV Club 155mm ammo)
AFV Club M-548A1 Tractor (supplies ammo to Self Propelled Guns)
Dragon M-3 75mm Gun Motor Carriage
Academy M-113 Fitter ((light repair vehicle)
Academy M-113 Zelda (non-IDF term for that vehicle)3 kits on hand
Academy M-163 Vulcan Gun
Tamiya M-577 Command Post Vehicle convert to IDF
Tamiya 25 pounder Field Gun/Howitzer
Italeri WC-51 3/4 ton truck
Italeri Dodge 2.5 ton truck (open cab)
Academy M-151A1 with 105mm Recoilless Rifle
Academy M-151A1 Shmira
Academy M-997 Maxi Ambulance convert to Magen David Adom vehicle with Red Star of David

Trumpeter IS-3M Heavy Tank convert to IDF Static Defense Weapon

Academy IDF Tank Crew sets
Academy IDF Modern Infantry sets
Dragon/Italeri Israeli Paratroops
Various Tamiya Figure sets to convert early IDF Armour Crews and Troops

As you can see, I have a fairly strong interest in IDF vehicles too.

Cheers from Peter

Hi there James.

I'm going to be very interested in seeing this build of yours continue. I very nearly got that AFV Club kit for $12.50 and really wish now that I had bought it. It will be interesting to see how your model turns out. Good luck with the build. How do you find the Accurate Armour conversion to work with? Does it look like it will go together well?

Due to health issues I try to avoid resin as much as possible. ;<(

Cheers from Peter

Hi Peter I have to be careful with Resin too but I use an industrial mask with air filters so I don't have a problem using resin. I have made a start on the resin winch for the front and there is a little bit of clean up to do but nothing you wouldn't expect from resin kits. It is going okay so far but keep checking the instructions and you shouldn't go wrong! Photo's shortly.

I'm keen to see some of those built peter!

Jaymes.

Ozelot if your still on IDF in scale theres a couple of threads reguarding paint thay will help you. IF not there's always lifecolour paints?
NIce plan I am looking forward to seeing some of those so far I have planned
Merkava IV armor school varient
Merkava I Hybrid
Magach 6b
Magach 7C
Shot Kal 82 Lebanon
Nagmachon with doghouse
Namer APC Scratch built

Jaymes

Right enough waffling I managed to get some building done my SWMBO was watching sex in the city so I decided to clean up the blade assembly whilst being bored to death! I’ve come across a problem the rear of the hull seems to be warped slightly so I’ve glue a plastic beam in to try and keep it straight so hopefully it should work.

p1010117.jpg

p1010118.jpg

Ignore the bad pictures still working out how to use this camera!
Once The hull had dried I taped the upper and lower hull together so I could test fit the blade and ensure it was on straight and not crooked otherwise the whole tank is going to sit lop sided. I’ve dry fitted the blade but I’m worried it sits a little bit too high and is going to look odd when it comes to adding the running gear? Your thoughts and input would be great.

P1010141.jpg

P1010139.jpg

P1010138.jpg

Comments are welcome I will have an update later when I've made a start on the running gear

Jaymes.

Hi there.

Upon looking at these images again and those in some of the links, plus the fact that an AFV Club M-88 kit was for sale for only $10.00 US, I decide to get one too. I don't know when I'll build it but at least I'll have the AFV Club base kit when it arrives here in about ten days.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be following your build with a great deal of interest.

Cheers from Peter

Back