• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Completed April 18th, 2020

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update Mar. 19, 2018

Thanks Luiz!

Bob

Where else can you have a problem, then have it answered by two Dave's, one from South Africa, two Australians, Ian and Laurence, and another Bob from South Carolina! Is this a great website or what?

:yipee

Bob

:rotf :rotf Getting useful info from someone in SC is the shocker right! :rotf :rotf :rotf :D

No, Mr. I.T. guy! I expected it from you. You've been my go-to dude for computer problems for several years now! It was the International flavor of the other help!! Seriously, what a great bunch of guys on here!

Bob

United Nations of Modeling - where the sun never sets and friends lend a helping hand.

Not running for office, just sayin' :D

Laurence

The United Nations of Modeling! Hmmmmmm, has a nice ring to it!

Thanks Laurence!

Bob

:( Wow Bob after such a nice job on the physical details of the engine room.
I am half way through one of these so this is all very interesting. What I can't understand is why they pixelated when you went smaller as 'pixelation' is a problem when you try to make a small low quality file fit a larger resolution.
But you went the opposite way. It should have got sharper.
I would reprint them on a higher quality gloss paper at about 200 gsm and glue them onto the disc with some Krystal clear.
Also , I would love to know your method of making the round wheel handles....I am facing the same detail problem as you and was thinking how I would do this?

Ian.
N scale railroad rolling stock use small wheels for the brake wheel. These could be the right size for the locomotive hand wheels??? Or Z scale?
Cheers
John

:( Wow Bob after such a nice job on the physical details of the engine room.
I am half way through one of these so this is all very interesting. What I can't understand is why they pixelated when you went smaller as 'pixelation' is a problem when you try to make a small low quality file fit a larger resolution.
But you went the opposite way. It should have got sharper.
I would reprint them on a higher quality gloss paper at about 200 gsm and glue them onto the disc with some Krystal clear.
Also , I would love to know your method of making the round wheel handles....I am facing the same detail problem as you and was thinking how I would do this?

Ian.
N scale railroad rolling stock use small wheels for the brake wheel. These could be the right size for the locomotive hand wheels??? Or Z scale?
Cheers
John

Thanks John. (y)

Some progress on the locomotive. Still a lot of detailing to do, but, I've finally got the finish I was looking for. I used something different this time.I wanted a certain look, a finish that I couldn't get with the routine raw umber wash, the burnt sienna pin washes or the lighter flat black/Matt 72 50-50 mixture dry brushing. After all that, I used pastels, not pigments, but old fashioned pastel sticks available at art supply stores and still cheap, grind them into powder on a face up sandpaper. Then, using a soft brush, move the black and burnt sienna powders around on the finish outside until it looked like I wanted on one side. Then I sprayed it with clear flat spray. After drying, I did the same to the other side. Here is what it looks like!

0~14.JPG

There is still a lot of detailing to do, but it all is beyond the basic structure. It is easy to duplicate on those accessories which are mostly brass, after attaching them. I will first have to attach all those hoses to the undercarriage. Note the cabin roof is not yet weathered.

0000000.JPG

I did a little weathering on the cabin interior, but not nearly as much as I will. I still have more detailing for the underside of the cabin roof.

000000~3.JPG

Another shot!

00000~11.JPG

A couple of shots of the undercarriage.

00~18.JPG

000~15.JPG

Finally an overall shot of the locomotive!

0~14.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update April 5, 2018

:woohoo:

THAT is simply the best weathering I have ever seen on a locomotive, and, no disrespect to the amazing tanks and all other vehicles, I love the way this looks, this is now my favorite :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy . I have never tried weathering anything black, I stayed away from doing locomotives for this very reason - but now I am drooling :D

As soon as the Bismarck is done, I can feel a locomotive theme coming :drinks

Laurence

Fantastic weathering effects!... (y) ... the cabin looks superb! :good:

Luiz.

I am overwhelmed at the realism portrayed here. As one who has been in and through the Knott's Berry Farm engine house while they were working on their train engines, I find that everything is spot on! Those close up shots look like the real thing and could easily be mistaken for that. The interior of the cab is also stunningly realistic. I am overwhelmed.... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :salute

Some progress on the locomotive. Still a lot of detailing to do, but, I've finally got the finish I was looking for. I used something different this time.I wanted a certain look, a finish that I couldn't get with the routine raw umber wash, the burnt sienna pin washes or the lighter flat black/Matt 72 50-50 mixture dry brushing. After all that, I used pastels, not pigments, but old fashioned pastel sticks available at art supply stores and still cheap, grind them into powder on a face up sandpaper. Then, using a soft brush, move the black and burnt sienna powders around on the finish outside until it looked like I wanted on one side. Then I sprayed it with clear flat spray. After drying, I did the same to the other side. Here is what it looks like!

0~14.JPG

There is still a lot of detailing to do, but it all is beyond the basic structure. It is easy to duplicate on those accessories which are mostly brass, after attaching them. I will first have to attach all those hoses to the undercarriage. Note the cabin roof is not yet weathered.

0000000.JPG

I did a little weathering on the cabin interior, but not nearly as much as I will. I still have more detailing for the underside of the cabin roof.

000000~3.JPG

Another shot!

00000~11.JPG

A couple of shots of the undercarriage.

00~18.JPG

000~15.JPG

Finally an overall shot of the locomotive!

0~14.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob
The light mottled paint effect is brilliant how did you do it?

:woohoo:

THAT is simply the best weathering I have ever seen on a locomotive, and, no disrespect to the amazing tanks and all other vehicles, I love the way this looks, this is now my favorite :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy . I have never tried weathering anything black, I stayed away from doing locomotives for this very reason - but now I am drooling :D

As soon as the Bismarck is done, I can feel a locomotive theme coming :drinks

Laurence

Well, I did use a weathering technique I pulled out of a top hat, but, it worked! I'm happy as a clam about that!

Bob

:notworthy :notworthy (y) (y)
Awesome
Cheers
John

Thanks John!

Good to see you on here posting!

Bob

I am overwhelmed at the realism portrayed here. As one who has been in and through the Knott's Berry Farm engine house while they were working on their train engines, I find that everything is spot on! Those close up shots look like the real thing and could easily be mistaken for that. The interior of the cab is also stunningly realistic. I am overwhelmed.... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :salute

Thanks Duke!!

Bob

The light mottled paint effect is brilliant how did you do it?

Dave, it was one of those, "Let's see, how can I get this to look real moments"? I first gave it a raw umber wash. Due to the black paint, you could see nothing. Then I took some flat black paint, added some Humbrol Matt 72 to it, about 2/3rd black to 1/3rd Matt 72. I began dry brushing it, and wasn't getting the texture I wanted, so, I used stippling instead. The next thing I know, The entire locomotive was a median, earth tone, gray. (As opposed to a blue gray if you added white instead).

I had been thinking about using pastels for weathering which I haven't in a long time. They are basically the same thing as Pigments, but cheaper. In the last 25 years, I have only used them to create the rust effects on destroyed vehicles. They have a texture nothing like paint! We used pastels 50 years ago before we ever heard of pigments. They come in sticks with a crayon-like slip cover in art stores. I've had most of mine now since the 1970s. I tape a sheet of sandpaper upside down on a piece of plywood, then sand a black one and a burnt Sienna one into two piles of powder. Then I use a really big, full and very soft brush, pick up the black powder from one of the piles and begin swirling it around on a small area of the locomotive. When it began to look right, I then switched to the burnt sienna to add a very subtle rust color to the finish. Once I had one side looking right, I sprayed it with lusterless flat clear varnish to seal the powder in place. then repeated it on the other side.

I had weathered the undercarriage, wheels etc., the conventional way and used Humbrol 20007, Polished Steel, to paint the rims of the wheels where they meet the track and all the piston like parts that have a polished appearance. After drying, I polish them with a soft cloth!

And that's my trick!

Thanks for asking!

Bob

The weathering looks real GOOD on the locomotive (y)

Back