• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Logistics, The armor

Looks supa, waiting for more...

ORyFGV2.gif

Thanks John!

Bob

Logistics, The armor

Finally, all the armor is built! Most are base coated, now, these last three I just built since I returned to the bench toward the end of March are ready to base paint. The plan is to finish the other three Sherman's while the paint on these three are hardening. Every one of the Shermans in the column are unique. I felt 8 copies of the same Shermans would look fake. Five have the armor and armaments upgrade per the directive from Fourth Armored Division in February, 1945. The remaining three, are, 1) An M4A3E2 Jumbo, which only had the armaments upgrade due to it's already heavier armor, 2) is the M-32 B2 ARV, for obvious reasons, and 3) The M4A3E8, recently delivered and hasn't been in the unit long enough for the upgrade to have been applied.

Here are the three just built and ready to base coat. First, a mish mash of different kits and aftermarket products using a lot of parts from my scrap box. It has a Dragon hull, Verlinden resin turret, sheet plastic "Add-on Armour". lots of brass, copper and resin parts and accessories. It is the only M4A3 in the column. There are three Shermans with Vertical Volute Suspension Systems, (VVSS), in the column. The other two VVSS systems are an M4A1 and the M4A2 based ARV. All three VVSS system Shermans will have the T-48 rubber block track with the E9, "Duckbill" extenders. It seems that most Shermans left in action at this stage of WW II had the added duckbill extenders added to provide better traction. The remainder of the Shermans have Horizontal Volute Suspension Systems, HVSS) as do all M4A3E8s. I have used two types of track on the HVSS system tanks, the T-66 Steel tracks and the T-84 Rubber block tracks. All eight Shermans have 3 or four man crews (at least visible outside the tanks), as well as multiple tank riders. The crews are built, most still need painting and detailing, all the tank riders are either finished or partially finished. They will be finished in the "Logistics" The Figures forum and subsequently displayed on these Shermans in this forum. All eight Shermans will have additional gear, supplies and equipment on board.

I am using the (rubber band) track on the three VVSS Systems, one of which is this M4A3and the others are the Jumbo and the ARV. I am using one (Rubber Band), T66 steel track on one of the HVSS systems, all the rest coming from aftermarket track companies and being individual track link kits.

000000_zpss9apcsbt.jpg

0000000_zpswvwwvqc9.jpg

00000000_zps2puunqqn.jpg

Then, the M4A3E8 I finished last posting. This M4A3E8 will be the new replacement, as yet not upgunned and uparmored. It is the Tasca Kit!

0000_zpsdtkjrphw.jpg

00000_zpstgd7dxty.jpg

Finally, this will be Colonel Greighton Abrams, Thunderbolt Seven. I finished it yesterday. The Dragon Thunderbolt Seven Kit. It has modifications such as reducing the gap in the spaced side hull armor, that is incorrect in the kit part.

0_zpslxr5ruy7.jpg

That's the unfinished Abrams figure that will be snapping a salute to his boss, Georgie Patton as they roll by!

00_zpsbb7plbcq.jpg

Although, this kit had lots of brass and aluminum parts, I still added some additional photo-etchiung here and there, and especially in the periscope details and inside hatch cover details.. All of the Shermans will be loaded with additional provisions "appropriated" along the route.

000_zpsnnrfk32u.jpg

Now to get these base coated and begin weathering and detailing the first three.

Logistics, The armor Updated April 17, 2017.

Excellent work Bob, how long it takes you to paint so many figures? Thats the part I like the least when doing models. Keep it coming! :drinks

Excellent work Bob, how long it takes you to paint so many figures? Thats the part I like the least when doing models. Keep it coming! :drinks

Kind of a difficult question. It depends on the figure and how much I do to it. I can't build and paint a single figure in a day, too much drying time involved, but, I can build and paint an average figure in about two hours, but those two hours are spread over several days and I'm doing other figures at the same time. I just added another 8 new figures and I think that brings the total to 362 figures altogether for this diorama! The manufacturers just keep coming out with figures that will fit right in!

When I get these last 6 Sherman's completed, I'll probably paint the 49 figures that will be in/on them! I have already done 10 for the first two Shermans.

Are you going to have a crew on that Dora?

Yeah John, you know what I'm talking about!!

Here's an update. Got them all base coated! I'm going down to the Gulf Coast for a couple of weeks, meeting some modelers and attending a model convention in Pensacola Florida on the 6th. When I get home on the 14th, I''ll begin weathering the first three. There will be eight Shermans in the column. All are shown here! The three on the right have just been painted. I'll start weathering and detailing of the three on the left when I get back home.

g_zpsxj12utqj.jpg

The three just painted. The M4A3E8 just arrived to Combat Command "B", so no updates as yet.

000_zps0dvf9v6s.jpg

Creighton Abram's Thunderbolt Seven! M4A3E8.

00_zps74r3xbq1.jpg

And an M4A3 upgraded.

0_zps1ypw6ntx.jpg

I'm posting all the crews and tank riders on Logistics the Figures!

Logistics, The armor Updated April 30, 2017.

Freakin' assembly line. Who's kit is that with the separate roadwheels?

Logistics, The armor Updated April 30, 2017.

Have fun on your holiday, can't wait to see more work after you come back :D :D :D

Laurence

Back