• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kubel with Cold Weather Starter & then some

:rotf That's O.K. brotha' !! IF you've ever owned an 'Ol School BUG you might've needed to put a couple of Horse Shoes on th Oil Bath filter !! :D

:drinks

Looking quite nice but I find it puzzling that the bolts are so prominent on the transaxel split case and not at all on t
the engine split case.

Keep plugging :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn .

Cheers, Chruistian B)

O yeah!Like it! (y)

In need of some more inspiration pics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vYgoK8WkHDA

:popcorn

Greetings,Ron.

RON ,

I love th Camo scheme at 2:56 ! Thanx for posting that !! :drinks

What I'd really like to find out - Setting it in th Winter of '44 with a Panther D on th Eastern Front - 1) would th kubel only be painted in Dunkel on th outside ? ( then White Washed for Winter Camo) 2) What units in th Cherkassy Pocket had Panthers & Of those, were there any Panther D's still left ? I ask th 2nd question b/c that's what I have as a Donor kit to make a Wedgie out of .... It's expensive kit to cut up , as I'll only show th back 1/2 of th Panther , I've got th CyberHobby/Dragon Panther D mit Stedtgas(#6346) . I'd feel more comfortable using a Panther A , but then again ... I don't think that there were that many differences between th Panther D & A when lookin at th rear end. I won't have th Turret in th picture , so no worries there.

* If any one knows th answers to these Questions .. please post. enquiring minds wanna/need to know !!

PHANTOM, MOONIE , OCB - I'm glad you Guys Dig it !! Much appreciated !!

1) would th kubel only be painted in Dunkel on th outside ? ( then White Washed for Winter Camo)

depends on paint supply the unit received - there's no general rule of painting regarding the change of color in feb 43 ... i'd say that factory fresh delivered vehicles received full dark yellow painting on inside and outside while field workshop altered vehicles received dark yellow on the outside only ...

2) What units in th Cherkassy Pocket had Panthers & Of those, were there any Panther D's still left ?

what a question :blink ... that's a hard nut to crack without thorough research - on the quick:

encircled in the korsun-cherkassy pocket were parts of 1st (11th corps) and 8th army (42nd corps) ... of those units encircled only one was a panzer division - 5. ss-panzer wiking ...

relief forces of both armies included the following panzer divisions: 1st, 3rd, 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 1st ss lssah and tank regiment bäke ...

so the only one fighting IN the pocket was 5th ss wiking ... if they still had some panther d in their ranks i can't say but if, surely only few were left ...

hope that helps

Hey LAURA ,

Yes !! Thank you !

As far as th Kubel is concerned, I should have stated that it's a mid-production , I was thinking that it would've been a Re-Painted to th Dunkel after th directive . I was thinkin' of a Dunkel base with spaghetti stripes of Dark Green - sorta like a left Over Kursk Camo scheme. I knew that SS Wiking was in th pocket. wasn't sure th total # of Panther D's They might have had left at th time of th encirclement. :hmmm although Liebstandarte ...... :hmmm

If any one else has th Panther #'s for SS Wiking in th Pocket don't be afraid to let Me know !! :D

Thanx again LAURA , much appreciated , Your Intel was Spot-on . Great Stuff !! :ro:

Hate to hit you with the hard facts but here it is. Just prior to the Korsun pocket battles,Wiking was changed from a PzGrenDiv to
a full PanzerDiv. It's PzRegt Hq and heavy Bn(IE Panthers)were still back in Germany training/forming/equipping and were not present in the pocket.
There were other units on the outside of the pocket that had Panthers but there were none inside. The number of German units listed as being inside the pocket is impressive but they were all very below
strength,most of the Divs being called Division groups as they were roughly Regt.strength. At the start of the Soviet offensive most of the German line had about 2 men per 100 meters.with artillery being 14 to 1 in the Soviets' favor. The tenacity of the Landsers in this battle is legendary.

Hey Guys & Gals ,

Here's another update .... The Kubel has been wheeled over to th Paint Booth in th Panzer Shoppe .. so this is what's up ....

Kuble_interior_finished_top_shot_.JPG

DSC08671.JPG

DSC08677.JPG

Th Deck Lid was nicked from a Tamiya Kubel that was in th Boneyard of th Panzer Shoppe. MOstly b/c there was the Tire Pump & Hand Crank were already installed & did't want to try to remove. I scratched th Prop for the Deck lid out of some scrap P.E. & Evergreen strip.

DSC08676.JPG

DSC08681.JPG

I added a Jerry Can rack - scratched from Evergreen strip & a strap & Buckle from th 'Ol Tech Star German Slings P.E. set. It'll be removed when th body gets painted & I do this b/c it's just easier for Me to paint & weather each one separately . P.E. door handles were added as well .

DSC08678.JPG

DSC08679.JPG

DSC08680.JPG

I wired up the Convoy light, Horn , & the retainer for the gas cap out of brass rod.

Kubel_interior_finished_rear_shot_.JPG

One last look at th Interior before she gets covered. I didn't really weather th interior too much as it will have the Top up & the Windows will be weathered as well , as This Kubel will be in a Winter environment & the windows will get iced up etc !

Allright !! I can't wait to get th paint on & get this Baby weathered in a White Wash !! Let's hit th Pub ! MOONIE said He was buying !!! :yipee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YkprtCgrk
"Scream for Me Long Beach

:erik

Back