• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

(Kiwi) Firefly * * F I N I S H E D * *

(Kiwi) Firefly - 11/04 Progress

Streaking applied over two sessions yesterday and shot the (enamel) matt coat this morning ready for the next stage:

h6584f19.jpg

h64a1ef4.jpg

h5653d26.jpg

ha649f6a.jpg

h62f60b5.jpg

hc96055c.jpg

Next I'll add some (limited) dust effects all around the lower hull, but that won't be until the weekend at the earliest as I'm off later to School Camp with No.2 daughter... not my thing but you gotta do what you gotta do, eh ??

As ever all questions, comments and criticism welcomed. AFN

Ian.

(Kiwi) Firefly - 12/04 Progress

Hi Ian,

WOW (y) (y) (y)

That is an impressive finish you have there!!

Really like the streaking effects. Those kits have a good rep, what did you think?

Randy

...and done:

Kit - Tasca 1:35
Paint - All (Tamiya) acrylics
Decals - Kit
Extras - RB turned aluminium barrel, Verlinden generic resin Sherman stowage set, Royal Models resin radio/storage bustle, stowage from numerous other sources.

Sherman Firefly Vc
C. Squadron
NZ 20th Armoured Regt.
Italy, Spring 1945

hdff4d38.jpg

h4983e9a.jpg

h81524ff.jpg

h9054263.jpg

hd87b2ac.jpg

hd073cab.jpg

h5e11f3f.jpg

hd71ded2.jpg

h894f354.jpg

A wee bit 'photo heavy' so apologies in advance if you've got 'bandwidth issues'. As ever thanks everyone for looking-in, encouraging and/or commenting throughout this project.

A lot of 'firsts' on this one - first ever Sherman Firefly build, first Tasca kit (and, Randy, they really are as good as the reviews say, easy to build and strong as if they'd been molded out of that old ABS plastic that L&S used to make their 1:1 scle firearms out of !! ), first time I've used brass-etch on an AFV build, first NZ armour build.

Another AFV project already started, you'll see more of that very soon.

AFN

Ian.

Thanks Bob, appreciate that. Hoping some more of our armour modellers will chime-in on this one, although I'm pleased with the result, always looking for pointers from other folks.

Ian.

Great looking VC Ian,

The weathering is very nice! Good job all around!

Don't ya just love those Tasca kits? I've built two and for a relatively new company, they're coin a great job!

Bob

Thank you Bob - and everyone else - really appreciate the positive comments and as I've said before, I never take them for granted.

It was indeed a great project for a number of reasons, but the two BIGGEST reasons that it's turned-out well are simply: The quality of the kit - it is bl**dy fantastic, I've never enjoyed assembling an AFV kit as much as I've enjoyed this one. Second reason...

...I've longed to have a Firefly on the shelf for more years than I can tell you and it's only now that I have enough belief in my 'skills' to do justice to the subject.

So again everyone, thanks for the feedback. Next will be the Super Sabre for the Vietnam Campaign (as soon as I can get back to the 'cave'), and I'm working on an Academy M18 Hellcat in the background aswell, not quite ready to show y'all that one just yet, but I'll be utilising and refining some of the techniques I used in this build.

AFN, stay tuned.

Ian.

Back