• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kawasaki KI-61 Tony (Swallow )

Hello all . Wow, hard to believe it's been this long since I posted anything .

Still not much to show . Actually more to mention than pictures .

Since Japanese Army aircraft unpainted surfaces have a tendency to look white , I decided to try out the AK extreme metal to get that apparence . I finally have some on the bench and I have tried it out .

After reviewing some demo on the internet , I decided to first proceed with Tamiya gray primer .
Followed with the white aluminum .

KI-61_aluminum_001a.jpg

Unlike the video, this paint is bullet proof but too grainy for my taste . Attempts to buff it did nothing at all > Not even any pigment came off .
I tried till I managed to gouge the paint beyond use . Guess I need to learn something else :idonno

Next . I sanded damaged panel with 600 grit sandpaper , masked it off and shot it with Tamiya white primer .
The next coat of silver came out very smooth but the contrast between it and the first coat was not to my liking ,,, :bang head
Stupid learning curve :vmad

So, off to step three . Gunze black surfacer. This thing is turning into a paint bomb :coolio

h1a70d29_2017-11-17.jpg

I may be able to shoot more silver later tonight :soldier

Cheers, Christian

Hang in there Christian,

Sometimes things just go like that! I've been in one of those periods lately myself!

Just be patient, it'll all work out in the end!

Bob

My only complaint is that this paint can't be used on bare plastic as advertised.

Anyhow, here's a pass over the black 1400 . Looks pretty . Sets up fast, so I also shot the flight controls :D

KI-61_aluminum_002a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for looking in guys . Metal finishes have always been a bit of conundrum .
Easy to get there but way too fragile . This is definitely different .

I made another discovery... :idonno Although the paint appears to be hard it needs a bit more curing time since some of the glue stayed on the painted parts of the wing but not the tail ( which was painted first ) :facepalm

Highlighted a few panels with aluminum to give it a little life but the contrast is pretty obvious .

he7d4a9a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Back