• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"JUST PLANE BIG"

I'm in! Got a couple of options. How long are we thinking? If it goes a year I might just throw this bad boy in the ring...

main01.jpg

Just to muddy the waters.

If you are talking "aircraft" (as mentioned in Post #1), that includes any lighter or heavier than air, fixed or rotary wing and powered or unpowered machines that are able to fly.

If the intent is "airplanes" or "aeroplanes", then it includes only heavier-than-air, powered, fixed-wing aircraft.

:fencing

Cheers,
Rich

If it's big and flies it's ok for this build. Even if it's stuffed piegon.

B)

There is another item I would like to point out, just because the scale is say 1/35 or 1/32 doesn't mean it is going to be a BIG plane. Here are some examples:

Bf109 Wingspan:33' in 1/32 = 12.375" (313.3mm)
Fw190 Wingspan:34' in 1/32 = 12.75" (323.8mm)
P-51 Wingspan:37' in 1/32 = 13.875" (352.5mm)
Arado196 Wingspan:40' in 1/32 = 15" (381mm)
Ju88 Wingspan:59' in 1/32 = 22.125" (562mm)

Modern jets can be a little different, for example:

F-104 has a wingspan of 21.75' which is 8.156" in 1/32 scale. The length however is 55' which is 20.625" (523.8mm) in 1/32 scale.

So would we want them to actually be BIG and have an actual size minimum as well as scale. The model must have a dimension larger than say 12 inches or 30mm. Thus a Bf 109 would pass, but a Beechcraft Staggerwing or GeeBee racer are no go. :hmmm

Paul I think it's just the scale Terry is looking for. 1:32 or bigger. Any Wingnut Wing build would qualify.

Paul I think it's just the scale Terry is looking for. 1:32 or bigger. Any Wingnut Wing build would qualify.

Yeah Bob, I know, was just food for thought.

B-17G in 1/32
Gotha IV in 1/32
FelixStowe in 1/32

Truely JUST PLANE BIG planes. :D

Truth is though I am going to be passing on the ribbons probly from here on due to my slow build style and the fact I have a number in process that really should get built before starting something new.

You think this will qualify?

h447ebaa.JPG

Is it 1/35 or 1/32 I'll have to do some calculations, but it might work.

:pp

Yeah I have Trumpeter's Fw200 and Sm79 in 1/48 and they are quite large too. Though the Me323 in 1/72 still has a 30 inch span and in 1/48th would be about 45 inches. In 1/32 scale the Me323 would have a wingspan of 67.5 inches. The largest scale model I ever saw was a B-52 in 1/32 scale and it was GINORMOUS!

Just checked the stash: All 1:32
Ju-87D
F-4J
F4U-4
Bf109G-14
Bf109G-2
Bf109E-1 (Started, but not much)
P-51D
Spitfire IXe
BAe Hawk T1A (was going to be built for the 'Learning Curve' campaign, but I have a few others that could drop-in to that one.)

Yeah, I think I could find something that would fit.

Ian.

One question: How are those Trump 1/32 SBDs?

Jeff--

I built the -3 a few years back and really enjoyed it. Think of the Accurate Miniatures kit blown up with some extra detail-- they even included the different wheels for the land-based variant as well. The only issue I had was getting the fuselage to close up around all the great detail but I really think that was an issue created by me at the time and not a knock on the kit design. It's not overly huge either....

I have the Revell Wildcat, 21st Century Toys Stuka in the pile....I also have the Czech Model Buffalo but I was saving that for the year 2017 when I was hoping to host a 75th anniversary Midway GB here at the MA if I could get enough takers....so I am in with something...

I really liked the idea of this one, how about we try to kickstart it for the next batch of campaigns? Who's in with a 1/32 scale aircraft?

Back