• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobbycraft XP-59

That looks grand. Not much to that air frame is there? I do like those curves though.

Looks great John! (y)

As to the stance, I noticed that there was no tire sag to the wheels. Something you could do that would adjust the way the plane sets would be to put some flat spots under the main gear which would lower it slightly and change the stance. Might be all you need to do. Don't forget to add a small spot on the nose wheel tire as well just for consistency.

Paul, the tires are vinyl, and pretty small in cross section so I wouldn't gain much I'm afraid. When I get up the nerve I will saw the struts off, drill them and pin them and glue them back together. My baby is just too new to attack in such a vile fashion, I'll have to man up for it!

Paul W, I agree it was a nice looking airplane, with smaller and thinner wings and engines that really worked it mightacoulda been a contender. It was a safe testbed for the engines and Ginter's book says it was a trouble free airframe.

Thanks all, for the nice comments.

Looking very nice to me John . The stance does look slightly askew but I would not sneer at it .

The tires being so round is probably a bigger distracter to me.

Cheers, Christian B)

Okay, in the photos I see that I once again failed to paint the position lights, I guess the desert dust has covered them up in these pictures. Another thing that I see is that it would be better if the main struts were shortened about 3/32 inch to match the stance on the photo of the airplane. I'll fix that when I build the P-59B version, maybe I'll fix these then too but I don't want to right now. The insignia were painted using masks cut with my Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter. Flat White was sprayed first, then Insignia White. Then, the star stencil was put in place. Insignia Blue was applied. After a minimum curing time the masks were removed. I could see some white edge outside the blue when looking from the side even though the outer stencil had not been moved until all painting was done, just the thickness of the paint was all I was seeing but it was noticeable. More circles were cut, this time solid, no cutouts for the stars. Once applied the surrounding colors were sprayed and that took care of the problem. I suppose that is going to be how to do it in cases where the white has to be as large as the blue, as in this case where there are no bars on the insignia, nor the usual blue extra edge that covered up the short lived red perimeter.

I am very happy with how the overall model looks, and with the canopy and its framing. There is no clear coat, once I had all the paint on and cured, I sanded the whole model with 2500 sandpaper, insignia and all. The sanding dust was wiped down a little and there you are.

0261p59.jpg

0271p59.jpg

0281p59.jpg

0291p59.jpg

0301p59.jpg

0311p59.jpg

0321p59.jpg

Looks great John, tell folks that's the unloaded stance, no stress on the struts. (y)

:notworthy

Back