• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Here's week one, 1/1/17 Perry!

ausf

Master at Arms
Fine Molds kit.

At first glimpse, it has some flash and I thought I might have bought the wrong one since Mike had mentioned how well it was engineered. But once I started building it, it's a dream so far.

I was wondering how I was going to address the rigging, Mike used steel wire and I've used EZ line on the Albatross, but fortunately, the way the kit is designed, the areas where the rigging connects are separate molded pieces, so I can make that decision after the wings are set. I thought I was going to have to do some weird half wing installation, but it should be okay. The rigging doesn't have turnbuckles like the WWI stuff.

The instructions called for a Sandy Brown interior. A quick google didn't get a lot of info, just that it was fabric on metal frame. The molding looks like the fuse sides are either wood or metal, but I went with my mix of IJN interior, which I just realized was Mitsubshi and this is Kawasaki. Anyway, I'm not getting hung up on it.

Here's a few shots, kit, interior parts prepped and closed up. I like the radiator, even though it's styrene. Fine Molds taunts you along the way with all the extra details you can buy, but this is meant to just be a fun build, which it has been so far.

h2173cf5.jpg

h0dbd821.jpg

h4980ac6.jpg

h83290a6.jpg

Looking really good, glad you're enjoying it. I don't remember much/any flash on mine but I bought it when first released, so maybe the moulds have worn a bit since then. I went for a sandy-brown cockpit colour similar to that used in Ki-61, but I couldn't swear to it being correct ;) Yours looks convincing enough to me.

At least you remembered to install the radiator before gluing the fuselage halves together. I painted mine as a sub-assembly, set it to one side and forgot about it. Had to break the fuselage apart when I realized :facepalm

Following with interest :good:

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, most of my Perry bench time was spent under the bench looking for tweezerpult casualties. l really have a case with the drops on this one and I'm 0 for 2 in recovery, even when I saw the direction and heard the impact. This kit fits together beautifully, but it has a lot of very small odd shaped parts for the rigging stays with big sprue connection points. I'm going to predrill the ones I still have possession of before I cut them loose so at least I can keep a length of wire through the part while I'm cutting/cleaning.

When I was building the shop, I opted for sheet vinyl because it would be easy to keep clean. Next time I'll rethink the remnant purchase. While $16 a yard goods for a $1 a yard because it was discontinued and the end of the roll may sound like a bargain, the fact that it's off white with a styrene grey (I used to call it DML grey) speckled pattern has been tormenting me since my first build after I glued it down 10 years ago. :S

take a light and shine it parallel to the floor. the shadow will show up like a sore thumb.

Back