• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Heads up!

Andy,

Cheers for the close-ups. They look good, seriously mate, they are good (y) A constructive observation regarding the hair though (head and eye-brows): it may simply be a photo (how often have I blamed the photo too ;) ) but it appears to me that you need to add more layers - shadows and highlights. I hate painting hair, it's bloody difficult to get just right. Think about when you had hair :p and how some days it looked lighter and other days darker. It's all those layers :)

They look real cool even after being amplified so much. I agree with the comment about the hair. On the Howdy Dudey head you could accent the part in his hair a bit? Otherwise,very nice. Do you paint the eyes before the face or after? I use the Shep Paine method and do them after the face is base coated. This way you can bring the upper and lower eyelids up over the eyes to change the expression and plus,you don't have to worry about getting the pupils exactly round,as they will be partly covered. Hope I am describing this clearly enough,my discriptive skills aren't always the best.
J

ANDY,

Cool lookin' eyes !! Yeah , th camera can really make you second guess sometimes. I think you got it ! I'm sure they're not a 100% finished. But I Dig where you're goin with it !!

JERRY - I too follow th Shep Paine method on th Eyes. I learned it at such an early age to so it that way ... Old Habits Die Hard !! I actually have a Shep Paine 1st edition - th Diorama book !! It's well loved !!

Hi Guys thank you for positive comments and help and tips (y)

I must admit I have not touched the hair yet and there are indeed touch ups to be done as seen in the pictures that I didnt post up :S

Im glad ive put across ok,what Ive been getting at with my painting

tried tonight to paint the eyes of the figures on my dio but not even close to what you've done :(
well now they have eyes atleast hahaha
great work Andy!!

Andy,
Well done. You have come a long way in a couple of years. B)
Hornet have a very large variety of heads in lots of different modes. Ie. eating etc. They are also true 1/35 size heads and not 54m/m.
Cheers
John

Hey John, yes thank you very much , I have indeed and I wouldnt have got going if it wasnt for you, mate

Guys I met John and his wife Maureen, at the 2009 MMSI show in Chicago and let me tell you that john was my inspiration to carry on painting figures, he took me round the show to show me different styles of different painters and gave me untold tips and advise and introduced me to some very nice people.

Previous to that show, I only dabbled really badly with figures and was more into armour and stuff but since then I have concentrated mainly on figures so this is really my second proper year doing them :)

Plus hes also a Brit like me :D

You obviously are a good student because it shows. I keep at it but I lost 10 years due to just building master patterens and not painting. Now I have to catch up to guys like yourself. Plus guys like I just saw over on Hyperscale from Japan. There are 2 guys that paint with a giant magnifier and the faces look convincingly human. Sort of scary actually. Makes me want to convert to house painting.
Gotta love you Brits though. Had a great time at Telford this past year.
J

Under the patio :)

ooh !! oh you mean the models :pinch: :D

I have not had chance to paint those as yet as my model emporium is packed away for a little while :(

but thanks for the comments though and yours too Jerry :)

You should try them with fava beans and a nice chianti, Andy. No messy leftovers!

hehehehehehe

yep the patio is full up now it cost me an arm and a leg,.... onto Lake Michigan in future

swim wid da fishes

Back