• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hawker Typhoon restoration project

Greg Kimsey

I came across this video while surfing Youtube. I am sure you all have seen it or at least aware of it. I am not ashamed to say that I was choked up and teary eyed when they took former WWII RAF Typhoon pilot, Bernard Gardner, up in a Hurricane, as a gift, while 4 days from his 101st birthday. 100+ years old in an airplane, and they rolled it! Airfix is on the scene to help with the restoration effort of the Typhoon, which the video says that there has not been one in the air since the end of WWII. I can say that I anxiously await their kit of this specific airplane. Fantastic, just...fantastic:

Airfix on the scene?
1687863726565.png

:rotf

I'm kidding, glad they are involved and it's a great endeavor. :vgood:

The problem with restoration was always going to be the engine but looks like they have that sorted now however with no spare or spare parts i wonder if flying is really practical.. Even back in the day engines were a weak point..that and the tails tended to fall off.

DSC_0069 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

These are my pictures of the Mk1 at the RAF museum.

This is interesting Bob
My picture is dated 2012 but when you were here i think the Typhoon was in Canada but even more interesting is it spent from 1944 on in the the US as a test airframe and then in the Smithsonian institute and was swopped for a hurricane with the Uk.

James May used to be interested in such things. What mischief is he up to these days, I wunda?

Back