• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ernie'S Scout II

ErnieS

This will be my first entry......

I have not built a car kit since I was a kid, so this might not end well :facepalm
I wanted t build this kit since it is kind of cool, and every time it gets released, it disappears and becomes hard to find rather quickly. I made a trade with a friend of mine to get this one (it's okay, he has a built one and two or three more unbuilt). Plus, the real vehicles came in some pretty funky colors; Grenoble Green, which is like an apple green color, Omaha Orange, which is a burnt orange color, and my favorite, Sunburst Yellow, which is almost like a light lime green/yellow color in pictures. I just couldn't resist building the model in that color, and it being an actual color :D

The first order of business was to figure out what color I wanted to paint this, so I spent several hours over the past week looking for color charts and paint codes. Then today a spent a couple of hours running around to auto stores trying to get paint mixed....no one could do it, even though I had the paint code, it is a 1975 color and most places did not have formulas going back that far ;) So, I found a place that customs mixes touch up paint located outside Boston, and hopefully I will be getting a bottle of custom mixed color in the mail...If it wasn't such a pain to get there, I would go get it myself....I really hate spending $10.00 for shipping on something coming from less than 50 miles away :angry: Oh well

So this will be off to a slow start as I wait for the paint to show up, I will just piddle around with some of the sub-assemblies I can get done before hand.
Ernie

So first up, some work on the interior components to get them ready for paint. The backs of the front seats are hollow, so I added a piece of styrene to fill the back out.

The seat on the right has had the styrene sheet added, the left still to do

The spare tire in the kit is not a tire, and is hollow; this would be visible when finished, so needed to be fixed.

I simply added a styrene disc to the back of the "spare tire" to make it appear solid. In the real vehicle the spare tire was covered by a vinyl slip cover. I hope to simulate this with some epoxy putty.

The backs of the seats were slathered up with some putty over styrene sheet inserts and will be all sanded down to blend everything in.

Tonight was the first time I had a chance to open the kit and look it over, I was going to add some detail to the engine, but this a somewhat simplified kit, and does not include a radiator and such in the engine compartment, so I think I will just try to do what I can with what is there and leave it at that and not plan to have the engine on display.
I also discovered I made a huge screw-up with regards' to the paint; this evening I figured out that this kit is a 1976 model year Scout II, my color of choice which I had ordered.....yeah, no kidding was used up till the 1975 model year :vmad :vmad :vmad :vmad My second choice of color, Grenoble Green was used through 1978....but I didn't order than one......so after working so hard to ensure I got the correct paint color and code etc....I still got it wrong.....at least as far as the model year...... :frantic :vmad :frantic :vmad :frantic :vmad
Ernie

Yeah, I think just go with it....At almost $25.00 for a 2oz touch-up bottle I am going to try to live with it.....International was pretty liberal with their special orders I learned, as far as customer specified paint and interiors were concerned, so JUST MAYBE one loyal customer ordered his 1976 Scout II in the older yellow instead of the "new" 1976 yellow , which was ......wait for it......"Mellow Yellow" :D (y) , yep, seriously, that was the color!
Really, the biggest differences in appearance from the 1975 to the 1976 model was the direction of the grids inside the grille, and the chrome trim molding just above the rocker panels, so maybe no one will notice :coolio
Ernie

Progress is being made :ro: Haven't shown much, as it takes a while for the paint to set up hard so I can move forward, but everything should come together quickly in the end as most of the subassemblies are done (y)
I got the paint, really happy with that, as I ordered it on a Friday, and got the shipping notice on Monday, and received the paint on Tuesday :D

I shot the interior with primer and then hit it with the yellow where it needed it.

I painted the firewall and side panels in the engine compartment, even though they will not be visible unless you pick the model up and look underneath, but......what the heck.

Next will be masking all the interior areas and shooting the trim colors :bang head

There is a ton of masking involved in this.....more than I expected, but hey, it will be cool in the end I hope!
Ernie

Hey Ernie don't worry to much about the colour it looks great, and build and paint it for what you want. (y)

Okay, I just checked, it did happen :pp and here are the gory details

That is about 12 hours of masking and painting fun right there :geek Only big flaw was some thinner seepage from an errant drop of thinner. On the plus side though, the acrylic enamel auto paint, once hardened is pretty much impervious to thinner, other than lacquer thinner, which I wasn't using, just in case :rotf The ugliness on the rear side of the cargo compartment can be polished out with a tri-grit polishing sander and some rubbing compound (I have already started to make sure).

The rear cargo mat was sprayed flat black and then stippled with Tamyia German Grey on a piece of sponge to simulate the kind of marble texture of these vulcanized rubber mats. The floor in the passenger compartment was flocked to simulate carpet, the only flocking I had was too light, so I tinted the flocking with brown pigment and then put it over a dark brown base.

Not shown are the seats, dash, and steering wheel which also got a shot of tan as well, but no detail painting done as yet. So, all in all, not too bad, a few touch ups, but that was expected, so onward we go!
Ernie

Ernie I rode in several of these over the years and none of them were nearly as clean as what you have there, I wouldn't worry about cleaning it up, in fact I'd probably do some armor type weathering on it! :soldier

Ernie I rode in several of these over the years and none of them were nearly as clean as what you have there, I wouldn't worry about cleaning it up, in fact I'd probably do some armor type weathering on it! :soldier

Thank you Pup, I know what you mean. I am going to keep this one fairly clean though, for a couple of reasons. I really like the Scouts, and almost every thing I build is military and weathered, so I want to try to build something factory fresh (sorta), plus it is good pratice to get a smooth glossy finish (I have about 1/2 dozen 1/72 scale airliners on hand to build :dude Those need a decent finish). Also, I just want to see if I can get a good all around finish and decent model out of this; it has been over 20 years since I last build an automotive model, and I don't plan on doing another one for a while, so I just want to do a decent job on it just 'cause.....Plus, I don't quite know how to express it, but I like to try to experience all the facets of building a model, what ever the subject, and try to do it the best I can. So, it is fun for me to do all the different stuff, like the flocking in the interior, the nice glossy paint job, all that jazz I don't normally do, and in the end have the kit end up looking like how I planned itto look.
Ernie

Back