• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

EJ's 1960's fleet oiler build AO41

Masked boot-top, sprayed anti-fouling red, masked from boot-top to bottom, sprayed upper hull and vertical surfaces. Only one tiny spot of bleed at the boot-top - easily fixed.

Czw9Qps.jpg

Yuwb53K.jpg

HofPNPB.jpg

EJ

Coming along very well EJ ... I have some of that Gold Medal model stuff somewhere, for my Saratoga back date to the Vietnam cruise era, same size tiny stuff !!! ... Hang in there she's starting to look ship shape ... :captain

Masked off to paint the decks 20B. Geeze I dislike masking.

FvO0aSu.jpg

Cleaned up most of the rest of the parts, dry fitting them so the mounting pins and holes matched, flash removed, one deck part revised to fit ladders, etc.

qEM9lIw.jpg

Here she is with the superstructure dry fitted and the decks painted.

CUxsUAV.jpg

EJ

Sierra Hotel! The ol' Lady is looking trim & taught (Not easy for an AO!) What are ya gonna do with all those horrible guns?

Wow, that is looking brilliant! I commend you for your patience in masking all those parts. I'll be starting a ship again soon, I'll be trying that technique out.

Sierra Hotel! The ol' Lady is looking trim & taught (Not easy for an AO!) What are ya gonna do with all those horrible guns?

Not sure yet. Probably just paint and install. Only 9 guns, ugly. The scale is 1/525, so I don't know if there are resin or metal replacements for them. They will probably go on last, just before the rigging. Any ideas?

Next up - railings. Will do main deck, set next deck levels, do the rails, then set the next level, etc.

These couldn't hurt Her any. They're big enough to be visible, so a Man can actually have a shot at installing a few.
http://freetimehobbies.com/1-500-toms-modelworks-photo-etch-20mm-guns-shields/
For that ol' stern 5"/38 cal. being 10% smaller (?!?) in scale, a guy might be able to substitute one of these.
http://freetimehobbies.com/1-400-niko-model-german-single-15cm-tbts-kc-36-guns/
Not exactly accurate, but interesting.

Just my 2 cents worth.
:ro: :eek:ldguy :captain :salute

Might be worth a shot. In this pic, the one on the bottom right is an open single 5"38. I'm assuming the upper right are 4 single 20's. Might the 4 on the left be single 40's?

wlIAexc.jpg

got 5" duals in 1/540, but no PE or other guns in any scale close. Will look at the freetime site tomorrow.

EJ

Cool! I never leave anything alone, However, that does not mean you have to do any extra to the Grand Old Gray Lady! I'm diggin' your build! How many times have any of us tried to do "A Quickie", and got carried away with details?
OK, maybe it's just me! HA!! I have 100 cool new kits, and I find I consistently build my old classic kits and :bang head
Whaddya gonna do?

Done some research on her gunnery. Naval sites, history sites, USS Mattaponi Association veterans, etc. Found out that there is a lot of conflicting info (as usual). The naval sites mostly say - 1 5"/38 open mount, 4 single 3"/50's, and 4 twin 40's. In checking around, most every ship of the class had different gunnery. Everything from 1 to 4 - 5"/38, 4 - 3"/50, 4 to 8 twin and or single 40mm, and 4 to 8 20mm shielded.
Maybe the naval sites were right when it was commissioned in 1942. I have to believe that this changed later as she was re-commissioned in 1950, 1956 and 1962, but can find no records of armament changes. In 1961 re-commissioning readiness, she was fitted with a wood cargo deck above the main deck where the catwalks were. My buddy served on her before and after the refit. I'm doing her with the catwalks. I'm going to check with him on the gunnery and see what he remembers and probably go with that.

I have found 5"/38 open mounts, twin 40's and single shielded 20's on one site in 1/500 scale.
3"/50's, 40mm singles (elevated and non elevated), 20mm shielded MK 4's at another, but only down to 1/350 scale so I have to find out if they can be made in 1/500.
All this stuff and a bunch more made 3-d printed. Really nice stuff there.

Once I talk to my buddy, I'll check with shapeways to see about the scale, and order the other stuff from the other place and post my decision here. This stuff is really great. I'm glad Rhino prompted me to look into this :) , especially as I have a few other box scale kits in the stash to build as well and will want to get aftermarket stuff for them too.

PS - One of the Mattaponi Association members I contacted sent me a bunch of photo's that were taken by crewmen, some really nice pics that are not on the "official" sites. I've saved all of them. He wants me to send him a photo of the completed build.

EJ

Don't you know there's old dusty orders in some warehouse that tells yang what you want. Someine just hasn't digitized itit.

OK. The research into guns just got murkier and murkier. Finally got ahold of my buddy that served on her. He says; 1 - 5"/38 open pedestal mount, 4 - 3"/50, and 4 dual 40's. This is also the info I got for the as commissioned armament, so That's what I'm going with. Got the 5"/38 and dual 40's ordered from 3D model parts, and am waiting for a reply re the 3"/50's in 1/500 from shapeways.
Strill working on railings. Geesh.

EJ

It is YOUR Choice. She's YOUR Vessel!! I was just doing my humble part, EJ. 4-0! A wise choice. :captain :salute

One good thing, one bad.

Good, found 1/500 scale guns. 5'/38 open mount, twin 40mm, 3"/50 open mounts. From 3D model parts - 3d printed. They look really nice and the material is tougher than resin. Not quite as tough as molded styrene, but much better than resin. I think they will look great.

Bad, had an issue with the PE railing. I got the main deck rails done. On the 11th, I took the model to our monthly show-n-do meeting and was going to work on installing the catwalks. It was really cold that day. When I unboxed the kit to work on it I found the railings on both the port and starboard mid-sections had buckled and come partly loose, creating bulges or bows in the rail. We looked it over and the only conclusion we came to was that the plastic of the model had shrunk in the cold, greater than the metal PE. I looked like the PE was too tightly fitted. I did install the catwalks. When I got home, I put everything back at the bench. The next day when I went down to work on it and found much of the bulge had gone away, but not completely. Perhaps because it had warmed up?
This is how it looks now.

cQdVC1A.jpg

WJp627g.jpg

I have always installed rails by spot attaching them with CA glue and then "painting" the bottom rail to the plastic with Gators Grip glue before touching up the paint. This looked like the Gators Glue had been pulled loose from the plastic (which had been painted) but the CA looked like it was still attached at the install spots. I've never had this happen before.

Has anyone out there seen this happen or do you have a suggestion as to a different adhesive or method?

Back