• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dutch Grenadiers Guard drummer

Guys, sorry for my late reply, I was out of the country for last week.

First of all thanks so much for all your kind word, I promise that after the match tonight (Italy is playing the first match @ the World Cup) I'll be back on the figure again!

@ Andyfettes

Thanks so much for your 2 thumbs up!!

@ Moon Puppy

Grazie my friend

@ Joe Hudson

Hi Joe, thanks so much, I've seen your tutorial on painting whites, your compliments are really high appreciated. I'd love to see your version if you have pictures, is always a joy to see your work.

@ James

Thanks so much James, figure paintings is just practice, but moreover is fun, the more you enjoy it the better will be.

@ Tjgehling

Thanks so much!

@ Shawn

As I told James, if you enjoy painting, keep on doing it, results will came. If you have questions or just want to chat about figures, please give me a shout.

@ Gino

Thanks so much, I'm happy you like the way I paint whites. Is a pleasure to share my works with you

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

Thanks for the kind words. Here are a few pictures. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, these were before I had any clue as to what I was doing. :lol:

PA050061.jpg

PA050064.jpg

PA050066.jpg

small.jpg

shawngehling wrote:
Giovanni,
Thanks and I will.
Please keep posting pictures.
Shawn

Ciao Shawn, please do.

Tomorrow I hope to make more progress, but Brazil is playing!!

I'm a Football World cup nutter, and a massive italian fan (poor game toinght...)

Ciao

Giovanni

Joe Hudson wrote:
Giovanni,

Thanks for the kind words. Here are a few pictures. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, these were before I had any clue as to what I was doing. :lol:

PA050061.jpg

PA050064.jpg

PA050066.jpg

small.jpg

Hi Joe,

Great whites, great figure!!

What I love of figure paintings is how different the same figure can be painted, using the same colours, and in is difference be so beautiful.

Thanks

Giovanni

gioazz wrote:
Joe Hudson wrote:
Giovanni,

Hi Joe,

What I love of figure paintings is how different the same figure can be painted, using the same colours, and in is difference be so beautiful.

Thanks

Giovanni

Giovanni,

Thanks and I too really enjoy that. I see the way you have painted yours and it really makes me wish I had done mine similar. Maybe on my next one! I would really love to know your paint mixtures if you have the time.

Joe

Joe Hudson wrote:
gioazz wrote:
Joe Hudson wrote:
Giovanni,

Hi Joe,

Thanks

Giovanni

Giovanni,

Thanks and I too really enjoy that. I see the way you have painted yours and it really makes me wish I had done mine similar. Maybe on my next one! I would really love to know your paint mixtures if you have the time.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I love your stile, don't go changing!

As for the question about the paint mixture, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

I just pick up colors and mix until I reach a shade I like.... Sorry....

What I can tell you is that I've used 2 white tonesin acrylic, one warm (with browns and a touch of red) for trousers and coat, while the waistcoat is done with a cold white, with blue and green added to the mix as well as some cold brown color.

As for the leathers, I use a mixture with ochres, browns ans and black added to the whithe, then add more colors directly on the figure more than on the palette.

Just as a general rule, I do paint whites, without white!! I mean I play with a mid grey colour, which is much easier to shadow and highlight, and only on the realhigh highlight I use pure white, and just an hint!

Hope this helps.

Ciao

Giovanni

shawngehling wrote:
Giovanni,
It is beautiful (if you can call a guy that)... :laugh: ;)
You did an amazing job.
Shawn

Ciao Shawn,

:) Beautiful is the masterpiece, the statue, not the guy!! :)

Thanks so much for your kind words and compliments.

Ciao

Giovanni

Hi all,

And here I'm again, time is short, but I found sometime to paint the blacks, do the groundwork and paint the sword.

I do ned to touch up the "epaulettes", the drum and the haversack.

As usual, your comments are highly appreciated.

Ciao

Giovanni

dsc_0117_20100629_1667524429.jpg

dsc_0118_20100629_1444665748.jpg

dsc_0119_20100629_1982507198.jpg

dsc_0120_20100629_2046011120.jpg

dsc_0121_20100629_1699705566.jpg

Shawn, James, Andy,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your kind words.

Hopefully one day we will meet somewhere so we can talk face to face about modlling in genral.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni that is looking superb!
I like the fact with historical miniatures one can go crazy with the lack of camouflage present back then huh! To be able to use such a variety of bold colours on clothing no less would be a challenge methinks.
He appears well sculpted; but one thing keeps nagging at me. Are his hands too big, or is his head too small? Compared to each other there appears a fair discrepancy...
Brad :side:

BradJ wrote:
Giovanni that is looking superb!
I like the fact with historical miniatures one can go crazy with the lack of camouflage present back then huh! To be able to use such a variety of bold colours on clothing no less would be a challenge methinks.
He appears well sculpted; but one thing keeps nagging at me. Are his hands too big, or is his head too small? Compared to each other there appears a fair discrepancy...
Brad :side:

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes you are right, the hands are too big.

As for the sculpture, this is a typical Leibovitz classic, not the most modern style, and sometimes not correct from an anatomical point of view (heads were really small, back then, then he had hands issues..now all seems better) but just perfect from an uniformology and detail finess point of view.

If you like napoleonic figures, he's the daddy!

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni,

You've done a first rate job. The blending, shading, detail work, the face, First class!!!

Just beautiful!

So many great sculptors start off with the "Big Hands" syndrome! I never understood why!

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
Giovanni,

You've done a first rate job. The blending, shading, detail work, the face, First class!!!

Just beautiful!

So many great sculptors start off with the "Big Hands" syndrome! I never understood why!

Bob

Hi Bob,

First of all let me tell you that is an honour for me to receive your comments and to meet you, even if only virtually.

Your comments are really appreciated, coming from one of my childhood heroes is just great.

As for the "Big Hands" syndrome many sculptors had this issue, just the spanish had the opposite problems with, sometimes, small hands..

I really wish I will have more opportunities to hear from you, and maybe one day meet you.

Kindest regards

Giovanni

Kreighshoer wrote:
ace work giovanni! the blending of the colors is top notch!

Ciao Laura!

Thanks so much, here is a little update,just need to paint the hands, touch up the white leather straps on the drum and rucksack and the few brass bits here and there.

Hope to finish it this week, then a surprise is coming, but I'll start a topic about that!

Ciao

Giovanni

dsc_0131_20100714_1594436516.jpg

dsc_0132_20100714_1201344195.jpg

Back