• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dunkelgelb??

tomwes

It's been awhile since I've asked a silly question so here goes: Why did the German army in WWII use dark yellow as a camo color? This is something I've wondered about for quite some time. :hmmm :hmmm

Tom

Tom, I think originally the Panzers were a dark grey/dark brown color( No on hand references so I'm not even going to attempt to give you proper color names )in the 30's, then it went to just dark grey late 30's early 40's. One of the reasons was that the dark grey made the tank hard to see when it was in the shadows ie: parked under trees or beside buldings. This was o.k. for Europe but didn't really work in Africa or Russia. The switch to Dunkelgelb started with all vehicles that were going to Russia. Africa vehicles were finished in a tropical scheme that also ended up in Russia. it was the base for the 1, 2 or 3 coler schemes until late war when it got dropped and then reintroduced as a camo color. Please realise that this is a very brief description and anything by Jentz or Doyle would give you a much better idea about German Panzer colors. HTH Dean

simple answer: dust!

if you look at a pic of advancing wehrmacht columns in 1941 you see that all the vehicles are considerably covered with dust leaving not much of the panzergrey visible so at last the order for dunkelgelb as new base color was issued!

Thank you Laura and Dean, what you said makes perfect sense.....I knew it had to be something simple :)

Tom

Back