• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Duke Maddog's CTA2 Launch My Choice: Sleepy Hollow

Duke Maddog

Okay, it is now a couple days after taking these pics, but now I have my chosen models for this campaign. I paid for two, so these are going to be the ones I'll do. I can't guarantee I'll actually finish both of them, but I'll make my best effort.

Without further ado, here is one of them:

For myself, I'll be starting this model; a 1/6th scale Sleepy Hollow Headless Horseman:

CTA_II_Launch_III.jpg

CTA_II_Launch_IV.jpg

The other one is under Ian's Choice. Feel free to check that one out again.

I'm hoping to get started on these two at Hobby Day at the latest, sooner if possible.

Thanks for looking in, I'm looking forward to building with you guys again.

That's a pretty cool subject,Mark!...jeez, 1:6 scale,seems to be a world of difference compared to the 1:72 scale.

Greetings,Ron.

Yes, this is going to be big, but I am looking forward to getting started on this. Sleepy Hollow has always been one of my favorite Halloween/American legends ever. I even harbored drams of going there to see if I can find the phantom and somehow get away again with my head. :S :D

To be honest the new TV series has really made me interested in Sleepy Hollow. It would be awesome if they made an figure of that :woohoo:

I haven't seen the TV show so I don't know the difference between this model and the one on the show. I'm not sure I want to since I'd heard of some of the Politically Correct 'adjustments' that were done to this story. I prefer the original story myself.

I should be starting this tomorrow, stay tuned for more.

This is my latest update showing everything I was able to get done this past week and a half.

This is the Polar Lights Sleepy Hollow kit based on the Johnny Depp movie; which I haven't seen yet.

Here you can see where I built up the Horseman himself. It is quite obvious I'm going to have some serious seams to fill. Getting them filled and sanded without losing any detail is going to be rough!

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_I.jpg

After building him up, I started on his horse. This thing was in eight pieces. I finally got them all together, but again, some serious seam issues will need to be dealt with. Still, this does look rather impressive:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_II.jpg

It is just dry-fit to the base so far. This is an example of one of the toughest seam issues I'll have to deal with:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_III.jpg

Now, this model comes with three options for the right hand. The left hand will be holding Johnny Depp's severed head (Although he looks more like Nicholas Cage!) while the right hand has the option of holding an Axe, a Sword, or a Jack-o'-Lantern. This sprue shows the Axe, the Sword, the empty right hand in the top left corner and Johnny's severed head:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_IV.jpg

So, which choice do you guys prefer? Personally I am torn between the sword and the axe. I'd only want to do the Jack-o'-Lantern if there was a way to make it flame and that ain't possible.

Just for fun, here he is mounted on his horse so far:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_V.jpg

Well, that about covers my latest progress from this past week and a half. This ism going to be a tough model that will take some time! Thanks for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Might have to do some sculpting when those seams get filled Mark. Pretty good movie, entertaining but not so true to the original story.

That's a nice kit. Mark, when I have to fill a seam carefully I thin Tamiya white putty with good old Testors liquid cement and apply with a brush.

Thanks guys! I did figure I'd have to sculpt some. I also will be using a technique I learned from my IPMS club using Mr. Hobby Thinner to thin down and shape the Mr. Surfacer.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Stay tuned, more to come.

Okay, here's a small update on all the work I managed to get done on Friday and Saturday at Hobby Day. Hopefully I'll be able to improve on this during the week.

I sanded and re-carved and re-filled and sanded him and his horse again to try and eliminate all the seams and yet still keep the natural detail. I think I finally got most of it all taken care of:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_Vi.jpg

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_VII.jpg

After this, I went and primed this man and his horse with black paint to see what areas may need more attention. I think I managed to get most issues, but the paint did show me a few that still needed to be taken care of:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_VIII.jpg

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_IX.jpg

Okay, that's all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed this trip. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in; comments are welcome!

Back