• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Late Nashorn

mike walsh

Master at Arms
Hi,

Here is the progress so far

nashornbuild.jpg

sdkfz164.jpg

nashorn3rdaugust09.jpg

The roadwheels need a lot of trimming .
There is a lot of clean up work on each road wheel.Along with seamlines ,so much fun :D
This is a first for me working with these instructions .They seem quite easy to work with but you can overlook some parts quite easily .
nashorninstructpage1.jpg

nashornprogess1.jpg

nashornprogress2.jpg

The royal model etch only has room for 1 round hence I went back to the kit parts to use an accurate rack.

88MMSHELLRACK.jpg

The work will mainly be in the fighting compartment and it really soaks up the build time .
Aaand all the other projects are now on the back burner for the moment so I can get this beast a little closer to finishing.

NASHORNBUILDPROG12SEPT.jpg

pak43L711.jpg

More progress on the crew placement and layout .
The tristar figures are perfect for this SPW .

I've also substituted and converted with warrior and hornet heads.

nashornguncrew27thsept2a.jpg

]

I finally decided on using this hornet head with resin headphones which I will attach after I finnish painting the figure .

nashorngunner.jpg

Cheers
Michael

:)

Re:Michael's DML Late Nashorn

Wow Mike this is going to be cool looking. I've got a Nashorn I just love those big guns.

Terry B)

I just got this same kit last week. Really impressed with the extra stuff it comes with. Did you see that Lion Roar make the full armor plates and gun shield in photo etch? That would make for a heck of a project! good luck with yours, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Shaggy :dude

Thanks Terry and Shaggy.

Shaggy ,
I did see the Lion Roar etch but I found the Kit walls are accurate enough to use.
The etch is quite challenging on this style of SPW.

The biggest part of this whole build is to get the gun crew and fighting compartment as real as I can get it.
This thing will be in firing position.
I'm dropping the radio in the rear right cnr.
Only command variants used them .
It will leave more space for ammo or personal belongings .

Cheers
Michael

I love the Nashorn too :laugh: , and yours is super kewl , I have the Lion roar etch sets for mine which is still in the stash . The tristar crew look way nice in yours .

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Jenny.

I think the etch walls wall for the fighting compartment will be hard to work with.

Good luck .
Tristar did a great job with these figures I am eager to get them painted.

Thanks again
Michael

Wow! i have a soft spot for nashorns, i think its gonna be spectacular with the p/e stuff. Also the figures seem to fit perfect in the crew compartment, never seen them before assebled, i will be watching this! :idonno

Its been awhile in posting updates but I'm back after splurging on this new voyager set.

This has got by far a lot more product in this detail set.

This set gives you the radio and so much more :cheer:
I'm back on the nashorn and what I don't use here I'll save it for the early variant :)

nashorn_detail_set_1_20091216_1961910837.jpg

More to follow

Cheers
Michael :)

HI Mike.
Nice the way you're improving on the kit. Converting it from excellent to great!
I see some details in the driver area, does it have the whole driver compartment detailed?

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have'nt detailed the drivers cabin .
Mainly to the limited availability for the lack of reference.

There is little to see inside around the driver once he is position .

Cheers
Michael

Hey Mike- I thought you said you weren't going to use photo etch for the sides! Now you went and got the Voyager set-good for you! That set looks great, can't wait to see you put it to good use. That will help me decide if I want to get that set for my Nashorn (I can tell you already I probably will ;) )
Can't wait to see the next update.

Shaggy :dude

nashorn etch

Hello Everyone,

Its been a long time posting on this beast .
The halftrack/cornered group builds have kept my attention and now I'm full steam and arolling through this project. :woohoo: :)

So much etch the glare blinds me B)
Royal model ,Voyager and the kit etch.

After much consideration whilst working with the etch the painting will have to be done in sub assemblies.There is no easier way around it .
The tool and track holders,notek light are done .
And I'm edging closer to the fighting compartment .

The images display the item choices I have before me .
All 3 sets will be canibalised to make 1 accurate or decent Nashorn with parts left over for a second one,possibly a AFV club Nashorn :)
etch_for_nashorn_20100212_1658200208.jpg

nashorn_etch2_20100212_2064090692.jpg

Cheers
Michael :)

Thanks Adam.

I'll get some more in close and personal photos when I get the fighting compartment
done .

Michael

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the kind words .
Its been a long time doing a german SPW and it's quite a challenge :whhh

Here are some up close photo's of the work .The next stage is the side walls of the fighting compartment.

nashorn_work1_20100214_1011000350.jpg

nashorn_work2_20100214_1048449369.jpg

nashorn_work3_20100214_2080082692.jpg

nashorn_work4_20100214_1852495246.jpg

I hope you like the images

Cheers
Michael

that's great work mike!

but watch out - if you're up to use the tristar crew with the loader inserting a grenade in the gun you should reposition the handle on top of the breech block to a backward position! at the moment it is in closed position!

Thanks Laura and Jenny.

Laura,I had no correct references as to the location of the handle.
Thanks I need to get a descent picture from somewhere.

Michael

Oh WOW you've gotten off to a hell of a start. :woohoo:

This is going to be good. B)
Tony Lee :)

Back