• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Corpsman Up!" USMC at Hue City 1968 - COMPLETED

I'll echo Bob here James-- getting something of this caliber done is truly something...and in 12 days no less!

Thanks, Guys.

I tried a new process of how I did my highlighting and shading which helped make things go faster. Instead of painitng a base coat, then do each highlight and shadow separately, I mixed all of those colors together at one time so I could use them all as I need them. After applying the base coat, I would take a section at a time, for example a sleeve, and paint the highlights and shadows, then move on to the next section and so on.

Another thing that helped make this project go by faster is that I did not do any major conversions of the figures as those then to take a bit of time.

Cheers,
James

:good: :good: :good: Great Job James. The painting is well done as is the base, the details (brass on the ground, Marlboro in the helmet band) are plenty and add to the atmosphere without intruding on the center of the action. The figures are outstanding and bring the theme to life.
Well Done

I'm glad y'all like the vignette. Not bad for something that was thrown together without much time planning it out. What kind of sucks is that it seems that projects like this one where I do not put in as much time for planning as I have done for some other dioramas and vignettes seem to turn out better than those where I have spent alot of time planning an researching. It also helps when I am not modeling actual people like the crew of C14 in my "Breakfast in the Boonies" diorama. When I work on projects like that, I am trying very hard to get all of the small details correct as well as the features of the guys who are being depicted so they seem to take much longer.

Another plus to making the smaller vignettes over the larger dioramas is that I can display more of them in a smaller amount of space and right now I do not have much spare space for displaying them.

This one went so well, I think I will start another one soon. I will probably take a little more time than the 12 days it took for this one because I will be doing some more complex conversions and because I will be working on it only at night rather than working on it all day and night like I did this one.

Cheers,
James

"Corpsman Up!" USMC at Hue City 1968 Vignette

Thanks, Bro.

It is a good thing I decided to put this vignette together. It ended up winning 1st Place in the Diorama category at Soonercon 2017 as well as winning the award for this year's show theme which was 'Vietnam".

There were so many excellent models that were of Vietnam subjects at the show. I was very impressed and inspired as the show was not the largest that I have been to, but the quality of the models on display were of quite high caliber. I feel honored to have one of my works chosen as for the Vietnam award.

Congrats James, that is one incredible diorama well deserving of both awards. You really capture the essence of Marines caring for their fellow Marine, as well as the urgency they display in trying to get him prompt help. Way to go.

Adding my congratulations also. Well and truly disserved.
smiley-happy0961_zps233a140f.gif

Thanks, Duke and Prop Duster.

Taking care of your fellow Marines was something that was emphasized when I was in the Marines and carries through to today. This was an artistic way of showing others the dedication we have for each other.

Cheers,
James

Back