• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

C-47 that led the D-Day Invasion

Adam Baker

I saw this posted over on Aircraft Resource Center, and thought I'd share it over here, I figured people might be interested in the project.

It was posted that the Commemorative Air Force managed to find the C-47, "That's All, Brother", that led the airborne invasion of Normandy the night before the beach landings. And now they are doing a Kickstarter fund raiser to purchase the plane from its current owner, and restore it to flying condition to use for educational purposes. They also plan on having it ready in time for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

Apparently they managed to exceed their goal of $75,000 US in less than 24 hours.

Here's a link to the Kickstarter, explaining what they're doing. I thought it was really cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/caf/save-the-airplane-that-led-the-d-day-invasion

Great info Adam ... Thanks for sharing ... I was just wondering though why did they change their name ... :facepalm

Yea, I was really surprised by that as well, and then the fact it was literally just weeks away from being upgraded to turboprop engines that would have dramatically changed the entire aircraft, when it was discovered & saved.

Amazing they were able to track it and it didn't get scrapped. Thanks Adam (y)

Great info Adam ... Thanks for sharing ... I was just wondering though why did they change their name ... :facepalm

Better PR. material than the Confederate Air Force.

I have always wondered why they always asked for money. These people have deeper pockets than most of us :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Better PR. material than the Confederate Air Force.

I have always wondered why they always asked for money. These people have deeper pockets than most of us :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

I don't like the fact that Confederate is a bad word ... After all I have heard some of the Seven words that can't be said on TV or Radio on the Air ... :vmad

Reading the Kickstarter page said that she was painted up as a Gunship in Vietnam but did was not there. They have a full history of her on the website. She was in some other major operations during WWII. :salute

Thought it was interesting to read she flew in the Battle of the Bulge & Operation Market Garden. She say some serious flight time, in some pretty major battles, and managed to get through them all.

Thanks Adam for the link ... Sorry if I tried to side track it ... My Family has fought in every War we've had if there was a War ... There was a Satterwhite fighting for freedom ... I'm a proud Texan & American Sometimes I get on a soapbox ... :eek:ldguy

Back