• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Brewster Buffalo roaming the pre-war skies

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
CA4100.jpg

Starting the Classic Airframes Brewster Buffalo F2A-1. We'll be painting in the classic pre war U.S. Navy Yellow Wings scheme. May go strictly out of box with a scheme from the U.S.S. Saratoga unless something else comes along that looks more kewl. Needless to say the Yellow Wings scheme didn't lead much for camo and before war broke out the Navy had all the Yellow Wing aircraft repainted and only the home bound training aircraft retained the scheme.

buffalo002_20100102_1330950675.jpg

buffalo001_20100102_1950215470.jpg

OK we got pictures. Engine and back to the firewall. Airframe Aluminum was used on everything but the motor mounts and engine. Used Steel on those. My highlight with some exhaust overspray to darken it up but no point in doing much here, not even sure how much will be seen once it's closed up.

How is that kit Moon Puppy? You have a good looking start to it. I really like a lot of the pre war aircraft paint jobs. This is going to be fun to watch.

Hiya Bobpuppy ;) .

So I take it that this one is not going to get quite as much attention as the Wildcat. And you probably already know about it, but I will warn you anyways about needing to do plenty of dry fitting and trimming on the fit of the liferaft tube and rollover bar in the cockpit running into the canopy.

Now where are those exhaust headers :laugh: .

Gary B)

Sherman 18 wrote:
How is that kit Moon Puppy? You have a good looking start to it. I really like a lot of the pre war aircraft paint jobs. This is going to be fun to watch.

The kit is a learning experience for me. I've never done a Creative Airframes kit before but I think I like it. There are no positive alignment points on the parts, just flat on flat. I've gotten some really good advice from the guys at Swanny's about how to work with these kits. The plastic is very soft, I understand this is from low pressure molding technique they use on these short run kits. But hey, makes sanding MUCH easier. I like it.

The kit has a lot of potential for AMS effected like us, but since I already have one massive kit going on, I thought I would knock this out fairly quickly for a confidence boost.

G Cooper wrote:
Hiya Bobpuppy ;) .

So I take it that this one is not going to get quite as much attention as the Wildcat. And you probably already know about it, but I will warn you anyways about needing to do plenty of dry fitting and trimming on the fit of the liferaft tube and rollover bar in the cockpit running into the canopy.

Now where are those exhaust headers :laugh: .

Gary B)

No this is going to be quick and easy, well at least OOB. I did not know about these problems, thanks for the warning. From what I've seen so far everything needs to be handled with care and tested repeatedly. If the tube is that bad I'll just replace it with some styrene stock or roll some brass sheet for it.

What's up with the Exhaust? I haven't seen any so far, maybe that's the problem?

AAaawwww comeon man :angry:

If your going to scratch build the liferaft tube, it's just one very small step to opening just one little panel to show us the backside of the engine ;)

Gary B)

you people ain't right...those voices again...must resist the voices....

Naw, I think the Yellow Wing Scheme is too nice to be broken up with open panels. Even though this is a nice little rear end on this engine... :mpup

Wow, I applaud you for tackling a CA kit. I've done a few, and it seems every one was a fight to the end. I've now gotten rid of several unbuilt ones, leaving only a couple still in the stash.

Well I tell ya, I don't think I'll be rushing out to get another one. I can see why some folks like these kits and they do have a lot of potential for some AMS.

Yikes! It's been a month since I updated this.

Well I got an update, and some progress.

buffalo003_20100207_1446742280.jpg

I didn't spend much time in the cockpit because i'm going to try a little techinque on the canopy. We may not be able to see inside but i'm going to give it a shot.

I gotta tell ya, these Classic Airframes, I doubt you'll be seeing many of them on my work bench.

moon puppy wrote:
you people ain't right...those voices again...must resist the voices....

Naw, I think the Yellow Wing Scheme is too nice to be broken up with open panels. Even though this is a nice little rear end on this engine... :mpup

Dude you have GOT to get out more...............................

;)

G

Back